• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Why did you get an Automatic over a 6 Speed?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
Honestly I had every reason to get an auto. I live in SoCal, where roads often suck and traffic can be unpredictable. I'd never owned a manual. Gas mileage is supposedly better. Less thinking about the car and more on what's going on outside of the car.

BUT... I got a manual, and I have zero regrets.

I live in SoCal. I still rock a manual. Even my daily is a 2015 Ford Focus SE 5spd manual.
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny story for you guys and gals. I picked up my son and his girlfriend when they were still in High School. I picked them up in my E92 M3 I had at the time,. I was shifting the car and my son's girlfriend asked "what are you doing to the car?!" My son and I looked at her and I realized she had never seen a manual transmission car. I told her and she was in shock..."you mean you have to shift the car yourself?!"

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
I'm sorry to hear that.
Hope you get a chance at recovery. Regardless, thank you for your service.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not disabled and can get around fine, but the constant ankle movement will inflame the torn Achilles and that feels like a torch to my foot. I'm ok with the manumatic, except it reminds me too much of my old Schwinn bicycle. Why did it have to be 10 speeds too?
And no thanks needed, but you're welcome. It was my privilege to serve.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Don't buy an auto over a manual

Girly man.jpg
You know when a thread has run it's course when homophobic memes start.

I drive a 10R80 and it has absolutely nothing to do with my sexuality. My Vapor blue S650 is on the way, I suppose that is a threat to my masculinity too?

Killshot58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Premium GT, Vapor Blue, Nite Pony Pkg
Automatic is the way to go.

Easier driving. Left foot can rest. I'm a cruiser doing many roadtrips and I want to chill out in the vehicle instead of frustrating myself in traffic shifting all the time.

I drove 20 years of manuals and this is my first automatic vehicle ever owning one. And I don't understand why I never owned automatics before.

What I find funny in American culture is that "car enthousiasts" always brag about driving manual because almost all their vehicles are automatic.

It's only people in the US that do this. Go to Europe or Israel and "brag" about driving manual and they will laugh their ass out. Even grannies drive manual.

😂😂😂😂
This is so true! There are a lot of people (including this forum) that bow to the Manual. And yes, I understand that to a certain extent because I've driven a manual GT for the past 12 years. I get it.

However, I truly believe a lot of these people have not personally driven the new A10. I'm not really saying that the A10 is superior to the M6, or vice versa regarding the A10. I ordered the M6, but switched to the A10 after driving both. Kind of surprising to me since I was dead set on the manual.

So, after I shift gears in my 2008 GT, I like to drive the 2024 in more of a cruising mode. Will I eventually switch back to a manual and love it? Maybe....but for the time being every drive in with the A10 is very nice.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You know when a thread has run it's course when homophobic memes start.

I drive a 10R80 and it has absolutely nothing to do with my sexuality. My Vapor blue S650 is on the way, I suppose that is a threat to my masculinity too?
S650 Mustang Why did you get an Automatic over a 6 Speed? 1000008240

Naudica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Deep Impact Blue Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I have had many Mustangs, but this is my first one getting an Auto. I have had multiple manuals and loved them. I wanted to try an auto out and see how it is, as I heard many good things about them. We shall see!

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Easy...I don't know how to drive a manual!
About time you learned. I would teach you except I moved from there in 2011. In addition, I commuted between Anaheim (home) and El Toro for many years and after you experienced rush hour traffic with manual, you would never drive one again unless you're really a diehard like me.

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Santa Cruz, V-Strom 650
I purschased a new 911S with the PDK. It just did not feel like a true sports car. It was faster than the stick but as others have said the gearbox makes one feel more connected with machine. Had to sell it and get a manual C7. I want the Mustang 6 speed before, I can't.
It's a matter of "drive or be driven". I hope to never be to old to drive.

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
You said, "... 10 speed Ford autos have issues. "

The life expectancy of a typical vehicle is 8 years and somewhere between 150K to 200K miles.

So by your own definition, EVERY vehicle transmission that doesn't make it to 200K 'has issues', which means EVERY typical vehicle transmission 'has issues'.
So you have an opinion, reality is cars should last 400k miles and twenty years. The six speed stuff does that easy along with the 4 speed stuff. 200k is a walk in the park. 10 speeds by Ford do not make the cut. When they fail they are in fact costly.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
a couple reasons. The 10 speed is faster, I am 70 and not any fun on long trip in traffic with a manual, plus I still have my Corvette and one of my other Mustangs that has a manual. Of my 4 toy cars, two are auto and two are manual.
So you have an opinion, reality is cars should last 400k miles and twenty years. The six speed stuff does that easy along with the 4 speed stuff. 200k is a walk in the park. 10 speeds by Ford do not make the cut. When they fail they are in fact costly.
Not my estimate. It's from Consumer Reports. Disagree with them, not me.

P.S. - You have an opinion, too. Wow.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I purschased a new 911S with the PDK. It just did not feel like a true sports car. It was faster than the stick but as others have said the gearbox makes one feel more connected with machine. Had to sell it and get a manual C7. I want the Mustang 6 speed before, I can't.
It's a matter of "drive or be driven". I hope to never be to old to drive.
Ashamed, as the manual gearbox in the 911s are a thing to behold.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
Not my estimate. It's from Consumer Reports. Disagree with them, not me.

P.S. - You have an opinion, too. Wow.
I am 70, have 4 toy cars, don’t really care if the transmission doesn’t last 200,000 miles. I will be dead before it gets 100,000 miles.
Sponsored