• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Which 7G Mustang To Buy?

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I bought a basic 2015 GT 300A w/manual transmission and no options way back right when they came out. It's time to let her go.

Last time around I was being super cheap, just getting the cheapest Mustang I could possibly find with a V8. Now, I'm doing a little better in life. I can basically afford whatever Mustang I want. Although I am cross shopping the BMW M2 and the low end C8 'vettes too...

1. I could go basic 300A or 301A GT again - they are more plush, have more options and gizmos now than my old '15. I'd get the active exhaust so I could use quiet mode with the wife and track mode everywhere else. I'd get it with the 10 speed auto. Probably no other options. Vapor Blue or Dark Matter Gray. Save some money. Saw one for $41k the other day. Maybe I can get that into the 30s?

2. I could also do a 400A GT (don't really see a need for the 401A). Try to find one with the performance pack. Also with the 10 speed auto. Vapor Blue or Dark Matter Gray. Still pretty inexpensive. I could get one of these for under $50k. Maybe close to $45k if I deal right?

3. Last option is snagging a Dark Horse with the 10 speed auto. That Blue Ember color is fantastic - though it's also good in Vapor Blue. If I went this route I'd probably show some restraint and not bother with the $5k handling pack and some of the higher up options. Trying to keep that sticker under 70k - because that's creeping up on mid-engine 'vette territory, and those will smoke a Mustang.

Where's the value sweet spot configuration with these cars for depreciation, long term value, low cost (relatively) modding opportunities, etc?

Back in 2015 the value sweet spot was a basic GT with performance pack. Would like to put more thought into it this time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Where's the value sweet spot configuration with these cars for depreciation, long term value, low cost (relatively) modding opportunities, etc?
The question above and the wording of the opening post are something of a paradox: a value-oriented performance car, with mods, that will retain the highest value over time.

I feel you need to re-think your plans for any car, what you're trying to accomplish.

Regarding the depreciation angle, I can only speak to my own perspective. Value of my car: $0. I know when the time comes I'm going to sell it for something, but I never calculated or considered what it might be worth within a certain timeframe.

Buying any car with the idea it might be worth so much in the future: that just doesn't work for me. And there are a whole mess of intangibles which have been priceless with my car. Sell it for close to nothing? Fine. It's been a blast. Well worth the price of admission.

Going cheap on options with a build might save money in the beginning, only to lose it when the time comes. Most folks are going to appreciate (no pun intended) an upgraded interior or an auto trans. Maybe a particular color. Some options will facilitate a sale. A person with selling experience could chime in on that.

With respect to mods, it depends. Wheels and tires? Meh. Just save the original rims. Tint is welcome in almost every area. E85 tune or SuperCharger? IMO, you'll see a rather large depreciative hit.

Original, well-kept cars with some moderate options tend to sell with the least effort. As to the amount of monies received at the sale? No one knows.

I'd better define what you're goals are and continue to let the gears grind while getting more feedback.

Last edited:

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I think your resale value will depend upon how you maintain it. I just sold my 2018 for 10.5K less then I bought it for, there is no way I could have predicted that and overall I was happy to get what I got.

I would focus on what you want to drive, I was close to going the Dark Horse route but I wanted leather seats with ventilation so I went with a fully loaded GT, it has everything I want so I don't have to make aftermarket changes. Dark Matter Grey is a sweet color choice too.

Happy shopping.

P2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Vapor Blue Mustang GT Premium 401A 6 Speed
IMO, I think you are over thinking it... You are only on this earth ONCE. That being said, you mentioned that money wasn't a big issue. I think the real decision is whether or not to get a Dark Horse or a fully loaded GT Premium.
For me, I would go with the GT Premium 401a package and tack on some extra stuff. In the end, you will get the car you want at a much cheaper price than a Dark Horse. I believe that the options and HP that the Dark Horse offers doesn't justify the inflated price. Get the GT Premium 401a and spec it the way you want. Trust me.... you'll be happy.

Klipshpoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse HP
I think your resale value will depend upon how you maintain it. I just sold my 2018 for 10.5K less then I bought it for, there is no way I could have predicted that and overall I was happy to get what I got.

I would focus on what you want to drive, I was close to going the Dark Horse route but I wanted leather seats with ventilation so I went with a fully loaded GT, it has everything I want so I don't have to make aftermarket changes. Dark Matter Grey is a sweet color choice too.

Happy shopping.
I pulled the exact same thing off with my 17GT. Bought for 35K traded for 24K 6.5 years later. Probably won't continue but during the span of the G6 mustang inflation just kept Car Values. I remember Blue Booking the thing in 2019 and it was worth 22K with 15K miles on it.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
The question above and the wording of the opening post are something of a paradox: a value-oriented performance car, with mods, that will retain the highest value over time.

I feel you need to re-think your plans for any car, what you're trying to accomplish.

Regarding the depreciation angle, I can only speak to my own perspective. Value of my car: $0. I know when the time comes I'm going to sell it for something, but I never calculated or considered what it might be worth within a certain timeframe.

Buying any car with the idea it might be worth so much in the future: that just doesn't work for me. And there are a whole mess of intangibles which have been priceless my car. Sell it for close to nothing? Fine. It's been a blast. Well worth the price of admission.

Going cheap on options with a build might save money in the beginning, only to lose it when the time comes. Most folks are going to appreciate (no pun intended) an upgraded interior or an auto trans. Maybe a particular color. Some options will facilitate a sale when the time comes. A person with selling experience could chime in on that.

With respect to mods, it depends. Wheels and tires? Meh. Just save the original rims. Tint is welcome in almost every area. E85 tune or SuperCharger? IMO, you'll see a rather large depreciative hit.

Original, well-kept cars with some moderate options tend to sell with the least effort. As to the amount of monies received at the sale? No one knows.

I'd better define what you're goals are and continue to let the gears grind while getting more feedback.
@15wile OP listen to Skye, great explanation above.
Honestly, I agree with the idea that back when the S550 came out, the base GT with Performance Pack was a decent deal, but I do not think you should go with a mustang this time around. That configuration is still a sweet spot in the lineup for the S650 but it isn't as sweet as it once was.
Based on the things you mentioned, I do think you would probably prefer the offerings from BMW M cars or C7/C8 Corvettes. Only saying this because if you are going for more of a premium play this time around, I think you will find that the competitors do better at being premium first, then performance. You have the budget to do that plus you aren't looking for a manual transmission, so I genuinely think you would probably be happier with one of those.

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Don't get me wrong, I am looking for a bit more premium this time around, but still this is a performance/fun buy with a side of premium, not the other way around. Most BMW M cars are too bougie for my taste - except the M2, which still seems to be a fun driver's car. I hate the C7 'vettes and would never touch one. But the C8 'vettes are pretty sexy and fast with that mid-engine.

Just because I *can* afford more this time around doesn't necessarily mean I should.

If the Dark Horse was a more reasonable 50-60k, optioned out, I'd probably just go with that without overthinking it. But you're right, it's a little more difficult now, because $70k will net you a C8 1LT that'll smoke a DH. The M2 is roundabout the same performance - a tad better on drag, a tad worse on track. But comparable in both price and performance.

This is when I wish Ford would make a genuine C8 competitor for the same money.

Also, while the C8 exterior is sexy, the interior looks like it was designed by a high school junior on acid.

And yeah, it sucks that there doesn't seem to be a clear value leader in the market the same way the '15 GT 300A + Performance Pack was.

onaccountof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
- 2024 Dark Horse -
But you're right, it's a little more difficult now, because $70k will net you a C8 1LT that'll smoke a DH.
But then again, who cares?
You need to ask yourself WHY you want a Mustang over other cars. Is it for looks, style, comfort, utility, heritage?
Personally, I don't care what car can go faster at the price I paid for my DH. For me, the DH "fits" me.
I love the 6 speed, the looks, the sound, the interior. The car is my "home" away from home.
**** the corvettes and the M2s.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
Don't get me wrong, I am looking for a bit more premium this time around, but still this is a performance/fun buy with a side of premium, not the other way around. Most BMW M cars are too bougie for my taste - except the M2, which still seems to be a fun driver's car. I hate the C7 'vettes and would never touch one. But the C8 'vettes are pretty sexy and fast with that mid-engine.

Just because I *can* afford more this time around doesn't necessarily mean I should.

If the Dark Horse was a more reasonable 50-60k, optioned out, I'd probably just go with that without overthinking it. But you're right, it's a little more difficult now, because $70k will net you a C8 1LT that'll smoke a DH. The M2 is roundabout the same performance - a tad better on drag, a tad worse on track. But comparable in both price and performance.

Also, while the C8 exterior is sexy, the interior looks like it was designed by a high school junior on acid.

And yeah, it sucks that there doesn't seem to be a clear value leader in the market the same way the '15 GT 300A + Performance Pack was.
There are over 610 C8s on autotrader under 80K. I would just start contacting dealers and making offers to see who really wants to sell. If you don't get your price come back to M2 and the GT.

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Also, I cut out the reason for wanting the auto this time around.

1. It's faster. Unlike the old 6 speed auto back when, which you could arguably keep up with if your shifting was on point, the 10 speed just crushes the manual.

2. My wife can't drive stick, and never wanted to learn, and while it's my car... there are times she should have been able to drive it, and that caused a lot of problems.

Klipshpoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse HP

Fords C8 competitor is a whipped Dark horse or GT. Here in a few weeks you can even get a Whipple with ford part # installed at a dealership. The design and collaboration are there, and they absolutely want customers to do it. You just can't finance the final option with the car.

As far as your search goes, I think if you are looking at M2s and C8s you are going to be disappointed in a GT since that's what you were giving up to begin with.

4ksk416

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Have you been able to drive each one? What did you think? Every car has its pros and cons. If your expectations are realistic you won’t regret the choice.

OP
OP
15wile

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
> you are going to be disappointed in a GT since that's what you were giving up to begin with.

I'm giving it up primarily because it's old and has problems. AC has gone out three times (in Florida that's terrible), I'm creeping up on clutch replacement time, the roof paint clearcoat has oxidized and is flaking (in Florida the sun is rough on paint), and there are a bunch of other lesser issues. Not because I don't like the car.

I still enjoy driving it. The coyote motor's sound is sublime. My 9 year old son loves riding in it - I bought the car when my wife was pregnant with him, so that's a fun little bit of trivia. He's grown up with it and honestly, he'd probably be mad if I didn't buy another Mustang (lol). It's slow at the track these days (and it always kind of was - I should have sprung for the PP with the better suspension setup, etc. but I was keeping the cost down), but it's still fun to drive. Most fun I ever had driving.

If and when I do trade it in, I know I'll miss her. She's slow but she was the first real fun car I could afford.
Sponsored