• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What are your thoughts on the interior of the S650? Specifically the screens

silver beauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Mustang Mach 1
Personally the interior just looks lazy. I can get over the whole s550 v 3.0 exterior vibe of the new car, but the interior is just awful. It looks like it could be in a Civic, or a Stinger, or any other car that has ipads tacked on the dash these days.
Agree. I think the European market dictates a lot of design cues for this car.
Sponsored

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
What a great way to jump to this never ending stories!

1st of all: Get over it! This is the future and if you think that the FL model or Gen8 will go back to old analogue gauges, better stick with your S550.

2nd: I am okay with the screens. The only thing that bugs be about them is the fact, that it doesn't have a full screen, but some parts are black (especially the left one). I don't know if that was an intentional decision or if there are regulations to it.

S650 Mustang What are your thoughts on the interior of the S650? Specifically the screens interior draw.JPG

One of my favourite interiors currently is the AMG GT4 Coupe. Yes the screens are also somehow placed on top of the dash, but it still has a neat cover surrounding them.

ALSO I like the middle console of this particular Mercedes. If they would have gotten rid of the "buttons" in the S650 and placed them like in the Mercedes (left and right on the middle console WITH TYPICAL STANG TOGGLES), it would have looked so cool. I am also not a fan of the same shift knob of the S650 Mustang. They could have done something more sportier like Mercedes or Audi.

I am not going to start on seats, because there is a dedicated thread for that.

S650 Mustang What are your thoughts on the interior of the S650? Specifically the screens amg gt innenraum.JPG

I think what Ford needs to do is to expand/advance the voice control. In the current Sync 3 you have like 10 functions and that's it. In new/modern cars you can also activate climate control, heated seats, music, ambient light, sat nav etc. with voice control which is more convenient and also doesn't distract you from fumbling for the right area to click/slide on.

LAST but not least I am wondering how the ambient light in the Gen7 looks like. Is it the same as Gen6? Does it look better? I don't know.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP Prior: 20 SS 1LE, 17 GT350
That Mercedes steering wheel is SEXY
What a great way to jump to this never ending stories!

1st of all: Get over it! This is the future and if you think that the FL model or Gen8 will go back to old analogue gauges, better stick with your S550.

2nd: I am okay with the screens. The only thing that bugs be about them is the fact, that it doesn't have a full screen, but some parts are black (especially the left one). I don't know if that was an intentional decision or if there are regulations to it.

interior draw.JPG

One of my favourite interiors currently is the AMG GT4 Coupe. Yes the screens are also somehow placed on top of the dash, but it still has a neat cover surrounding them.

ALSO I like the middle console of this particular Mercedes. If they would have gotten rid of the "buttons" in the S650 and placed them like in the Mercedes (left and right on the middle console WITH TYPICAL STANG TOGGLES), it would have looked so cool. I am also not a fan of the same shift knob of the S650 Mustang. They could have done something more sportier like Mercedes or Audi.

I am not going to start on seats, because there is a dedicated thread for that.

amg gt innenraum.JPG

I think what Ford needs to do is to expand/advance the voice control. In the current Sync 3 you have like 10 functions and that's it. In new/modern cars you can also activate climate control, heated seats, music, ambient light, sat nav etc. with voice control which is more convenient and also doesn't distract you from fumbling for the right area to click/slide on.

LAST but not least I am wondering how the ambient light in the Gen7 looks like. Is it the same as Gen6? Does it look better? I don't know.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Every single production car that I have seen with this style of screen has the same separation, including some pretty high end BMW and Mercedes models. Was looking at a BMW XM today and it’s the same way. So maybe there’s something to that regulatory angle. It never occurred to me before you mentioned it, but you may be right.

2BigPups

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F-150
Ford also needs to do better with voice recognition. With Sync 3, the engineers still haven't figured out a New England accent. :crackup:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Jeez...the anger. Interesting. Chill dude, no one needs to 'get over' their personal preference. Maybe get over being hypersensitive towards anyone who expresses a different view to yours.

It's the future is it? Speaking (yelling?) with assumed authority on behalf of designers world wide? Of course you aren't.

If everyone agreed it'd be boring as batshit on here.

2nd: I am okay with the screens.
Awesome. Excellent. Not everyone is, including some of the mass manufacturers such as Nissan eg see above.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Every single production car that I have seen with this style of screen has the same separation, including some pretty high end BMW and Mercedes models. Was looking at a BMW XM today and it’s the same way. So maybe there’s something to that regulatory angle. It never occurred to me before you mentioned it, but you may be right.
The regulatory requirement is set worldwide by the IRC (international regulations for cars) and I quote from their legal text:
'Car manufacturers have to squeeze every fu... penny out of their customers by using the cheapest materials they can find in order to maximize their profits'
In other words Ford could've used screens with thinner beezel but why would they if they could save another buck right there...

MustangFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue EcoBoost Premium PP
I'm also split on it, I really couldn't care less about interior design. This is coming from a design fanatic, I think the most important part about most, if not all cars, is the exterior design. But interior design, meh, it's never really done anything for me. The exterior is the part that's meant to prioritize beauty above all else, and the s650 nails it. The interior should look nice, but focus more on user experience.

With that in mind, it all comes down to how easy the new screens, and other interior elements, are to live with. If it genuinely makes driving the s650 more enjoyable, or easy to live with, I'll give it a pass. It does what it's supposed to.

Kinda like how several elements of the c8's interior design aren't great from an aesthetic standpoint, looking at you wall of buttons. But changes like that apparently make the car feel more natural, engaging, and effortless.

As screens and ambient lighting become more prevalent in interiors, I see a ton of potential for customization as well. We've already seen that fox body style gauges will be an option for the car. I have to believe ford is also planning things like gauges from other historical mustangs amongst other things. So there's some potential to personalize the interior.
That's so funny because I'm the exact opposite.

The interior is where I spend the most time, so I'm orders of magnitude more interested in the interior design, and whether or not it's pleasing to my eye... for example I HATE beyond all measurable levels of hate the look of the automatic stick. I hate the exposed "metal" and lack of a leather boot that runs up to the knob.

Obviously I still bought one, but that's because everything overall outweighs that one thing, lol.

But for me, the interior design, appearance, and functionality trumps the exterior... though I want a nice exterior too, I would just place less decision weight on the exterior than the interior.

I absolutely love the new interior design.

Different strokes for different folks.

OP
OP
KAlexander

KAlexander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 CCLB Plat, 2018 GT350, 20 ZX6R, 20 ZX10R
Ford also needs to do better with voice recognition. With Sync 3, the engineers still haven't figured out a New England accent. :crackup:
Ah. Someone who understands the pain a southerner goes through

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Overall like the interior.
Screen layout = like
Execution = don't like

Integrate it into the dash and add bezels. Make it look like it flows and belongs.
Hope for a MCU I guess.
Sponsored