• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

E85...What are your thoughts?

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
I remember reading somewhere (cannot recall where) that we do not need to change anything to run E85 in the s650. Being that I am not very learned in engine dynamics/physics/specifications, what do our more professional/novice members think? I know we can gain some extra power, and E85 is cheaper. So what should be my concerns? If this is a stupid question I am sorry. This will be my first sports car.

I will have Dark Horse with non-handling package.
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Just to get things kicked off - alcohol content and water absorption can potentially be an issue, open can of worms, it will depend upon how long it sits …

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
People read way way way too far into running e85 and or flex fuel tunes
1) make sure you drive the car a bit harder because your oil won’t burn off the extra water that gets absorbed, and it’s really not that big of a deal but don’t start the car, run it 5 miles and stop lol over time doing this 10-30k miles will result in corrosion issues. Yes i have seen it but on alot of sti guys that fart around town
2) if you run e85 consistently you need to do much faster oil changes 2-3k miles depending on how hard you drive it. Royal purple used to make a race oil XFR that didn’t have this issue but it’s long since gone out of production
3) e85 observes water worse than diesel fuel, it’s bad enough if you let it sit around 2-3 month it’ll cause issues and e85 because it’s alcohol is corrosive “ acidic” also why you need to change oil more often.
4) gas mileage will be 30-40 percent less because it’s energy efficiency is less

Those are the cons the pros are
1) it’s much cheaper
2) it’s considerably more knock retardant to the point I’ve seen guys get almost 40 degrees of timing ⏱ on the race variants of e85
3) it’s octane rating is 105-108
4) it runS 6-700 degrees cooler in the combustion chamber, causing the engine to run 5-15 degrees coolers “water temp” big help in the summer months
5) because it’s corrosive it cleans the every living crap out of the inside of the engine is a positive way, valves are dirty run corn, wanna run seafoam nah just run a tank of corn

it’s an amazing fuel but it has its quirks and that’s why it’s become a very niche fuel but is well worth its reputation and boosted engines love it. To the point i wouldn’t run 91/93 unless i had too

blunders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Usually at the bare minimum, you need an E85 tune. However, you might want to upgrade the fuel system as well.

Also, you're not saving any money since you'll be going through gas much faster than if you were running 91-94. E85 is not known for getting good MPG

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Usually at the bare minimum, you need an E85 tune. However, you'll likely want to upgrade the fuel system as well.

Also, you're not saving any money since you'll be going through gas much faster than if you were running 91-94. E85 is not known for getting good MPG

all cars made after 05 or 08 i can’t remember the model year are required to run e15 from the factory now i don’t recommend running e85 on the stock tune but you can use it as a cheap octane booster, throw in an gallon and then 91/93

it’s great for that

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Right now no E85 tunes- so wouldbt worry about until there is one...... if there ever is one given Ford has said the computer is on lock down- chance there may never be an E85 tune

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
If you are not boosted or need to get every ounce out of the car n/a, there really is no reason to run it, in my opinion.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I seen to recall having either heard or read that commercially available E85 is the maximum percentage of ethanol, but that the formulation could vary by 30% or more. Can anyone with knowledge on this confirm it?

Either way I wouldn't run E85 unless the owners manual explicitly says it's safe for the reasons mentioned above.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
I seen to recall having either heard or read that commercially available E85 is the maximum percentage of ethanol, but that the formulation could vary by 30% or more. Can anyone with knowledge on this confirm it?

Either way I wouldn't run E85 unless the owners manual explicitly says it's safe for the reasons mentioned above.
Not sure where you live, but in Southern California, (Los Angeles County), I have never seen it test below 85%, except at 1 station and when I emailed the E85 manufacturer, they were quick to send employees to said station and let the owner have it. We are fortunate to have Pearson out here in San Diego and they are very proud of their E85.
Sponsored