• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

UAW workers overwhelmingly vote to authorize strikes at GM, Ford, Stellantis!

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
Last edited:

2024S650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
At the end of the day itā€™s just a car, itā€™s not like Oncologists are going on strike. Perspectiveā€¦.Iā€™m not sure what they are being paid, how fair it is, how long since they have had a raise etc. But the Manufacturers cannot build cars without them and people donā€™t seem to be fighting for a good job these days so I doubt it will last long.

gearhead350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197 (sold)
I expect a UAW strike to last a minimum of 3 months. My car has been built since 6/19 & hasnā€™t moved since. That would mean my car will sit for at least 6 months. Teamsters are going to back UAW & not ship cars if theyā€™re on strike. Iā€™m not paying $60k for a car that sat outside for 6 months with flat spotted tires, rusty brembo brakes, & a battery thatā€™s been drained dead. If UAW strikes 9/14 I will cancel my order 9/15

2024S650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
I expect a UAW strike to last a minimum of 3 months. My car has been built since 6/19 & hasnā€™t moved since. That would mean my car will sit for at least 6 months. Teamsters are going to back UAW & not ship cars if theyā€™re on strike. Iā€™m not paying $60k for a car that sat outside for 6 months with flat spotted tires, rusty brembo brakes, & a battery thatā€™s been drained dead. If UAW strikes 9/14 I will cancel my order 9/15
Half those people live paycheck to paycheck. Unless the Union is fronting them thereā€™s no way they can go without a paycheck for 90 days. Some would lose their homes if they own one and Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge cant afford to not produce vehicles for 90 days. The last UAW strike was GM only in 2019 and lasted 40 days. This is a much larger force and would make huge ripple impacts. Way too many ā€œstakeholdersā€ to not be settled quicker. After reading the salaries that most are working for I donā€™t blame them. I was kinda shocked, my Son made more at Whole Foods while he was in college. But asking for a 32 hour work week??? Come on man.

Last edited:

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
"Those priorities are far richer than during prior contract negotiations between the two sides. The unionā€™s demands include a 46% wage increase, restoration of traditional pensions, cost-of-living increases, reducing the workweek to 32 hours from 40 and increasing retiree benefits."

I wish I saw any hope that the two sides could agree, but this expectation seems beyond any kind of reason. If they get anything close to it, I say we boycott the manufacturers until cars are free. šŸ˜‰

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Half those people live paycheck to paycheck. Unless the Union is fronting them thereā€™s no way they can go without a paycheck for 90 days. Some would lose their homes if they own one and Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge cant afford to not produce vehicles for 90 days. The last UAW strike was GM only in 2019 and lasted 40 days. This is a much larger force and would make huge ripple impacts. Way too many ā€œstakeholdersā€ to not be settled quicker. After reading the salaries that most are working for I donā€™t blame them. I was kinda shocked, my Son made more at Whole Foods while he was in college. But asking for a 32 hour work week??? Come on man.
UAW has $900,000,000 in their strike fund. They said they will stipend each line member $500/week till the strike is over.

I'd say that is less than half of what the average line worker makes weekly.

While I hate to see grinding stops to the auto industry, I am with the workers that have to make a living. I am not so much in line with believing the union uppers have the worker's best interests in mind though.

Members will always vote strike to show strength. The auto makers are brutal and would crush the worker if not for the UAW.

Ever want an interesting read or watch, check out the name Harry Bennett and Ford. Said was an enforcer for Henry Ford before unions were made. Bennett was head of Ford's "Security". He was a mobster, and I'll let you google the rest. Look up his "cabin" in Clair, MI. It was a fortress, with BP glass, gun turrets, hidden rooms and all made from thick concrete. Been there many times. It's insane.

Last edited:

gearhead350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197 (sold)
The problem is the union is fronting them. The strike pay is $500/week with no taxes, car payments, child support, etc. taken out so UAW members especially those not at top pay arenā€™t suffering too much. This new UAW president is trying to be some sort of revolutionary & I think heā€™s going to drag his membership thru the gutter to put himself in history books. The question is how long is the UAW willing to deplete its precious strike fund

2024S650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
UAW has $900,000,000 in their strike fund. They said they will stipend each line member $500/week till the strike is over.

While I hate to see grinding stops to the auto industry, I am with the workers that have to make a living. I am not so much in line with believing the union uppers have the worker's best interests in mind though.

Members will always vote strike to show strength. The auto makers are brutal and would crush the worker if not for the UAW.
May be a bloody battle thenā€¦..will possibly just increase he value of my trade and give me more time to pay it down. Always a different way for me to look at it as much as Iā€™d like to have my order built (just placed yesterday) in a reasonable time frame but those posted salaries are pretty sad, and from basic reading it looks like their pensions are nothing to write home about. Maybe itā€™s time to cut more fat from top level management.

Pyroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
When would this start? Immediately or is there a date?

gpellis87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 F150 Raptor, '22 X5
This is a formality that happens in any type of contract talks. There'd be no teeth to their demands if their members didn't also intend to back it up with a strike.

The contract ends Sept 14 at midnight. There's no guarantee they'll strike when it ends. There's no guarantee they'll strike at Ford, there's no guarantee that they'll strike at Flat Rock. There's also the possibility of them ironing out a deal before then. A lot of what you see right now is show. Everyone shoots for the moon in a contract negotiation, and their going public with it is just to drum up support and try to get each side to cave in to public pressure.

They went on strike in 2019, but they targeted just a single manufacturer (GM). It lasted over a month. They could again target just a single manufacturer, a segment, the parts suppliers that disrupt everything - nobody knows what strategy they will take if they do strike.

The problem is the rising costs to the cars are driving Ford, GM, and Stellantis upmarket and some of their upmarket competition does not deal with the labor costs or unions that the Big 3 do.

Last edited:

2024S650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
I donā€™t think that Strike Fund will last very long.

ā€œ The UAW has more than $825 million in its strike fund, which it uses to pay eligible members who are on strike. The strike pay is $500 per week for each member ā€” up from $275 per week last year.

Assuming 150,000 or so UAW members covered by the contracts, strike pay would cost the union about $75 million per week. A fund of $825 million, then, would cover about 11 weeks. One caveat: that doesnā€™t include health-care costs that the union would cover, such as temporary COBRA plans, that would likely drain the fund far more quickly.

National or targeted strikes at any of the automakers could be detrimental to business. A 40-day strike against GM during the last round of negotiations in 2019 led to a production loss of 300,000 vehicles, the company said at the time. It also cost the automaker $3.6 billion in earnings, GM said.ā€

2024S650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550

Ever want an interesting read or watch, check out the name Harry Bennett and Ford. Said was an enforcer for Henry Ford before unions were made. Bennett was head of Ford's "Security". He was a mobster, and I'll let you google the rest. Look up his "cabin" in Clair, MI. It was a fortress, with BP glass, gun turrets, hidden rooms and all made from thick concrete. Been there many times. It's insane.
I did find this, seems they are ok for at least 8 weeks depending on the variable

ā€œ The UAW has more than $825 million in its strike fund, which it uses to pay eligible members who are on strike. The strike pay is $500 per week for each member ā€” up from $275 per week last year.

Assuming 150,000 or so UAW members covered by the contracts, strike pay would cost the union about $75 million per week. A fund of $825 million, then, would cover about 11 weeks. One caveat: that doesnā€™t include health-care costs that the union would cover, such as temporary COBRA plans, that would likely drain the fund far more quickly.

National or targeted strikes at any of the automakers could be detrimental to business. A 40-day strike against GM during the last round of negotiations in 2019 led to a production loss of 300,000 vehicles, the company said at the time. It also cost the automaker $3.6 billion in earnings, GM said.ā€
Sponsored