• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

UAW to vote on strike authorization next week

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...

Thereallotddenning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
This is standard operating procedure for labour relations. Yes of course the contract talks loom large but most if not all unions authorize their leadership the ability to strike + you have to give notice to your employer.

If your membership doesn’t vote to approve a potential strike action you are at a huge bargaining disadvantage.

VaporGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I hope that the conflict will be resolved without a strike... but at the price they are selling us the cars today, it's the least they can do that the employees who build them are well paid.

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I hope that the conflict will be resolved without a strike... but at the price they are selling us the cars today, it's the least they can do that the employees who build them are well paid.
They are very well paid for what they do. And the proposed "raise" that they want will up the cost of these vehicles even more. They want a 40% raise.

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Labor only is around 3-4% … they could get 100% pay raise and it only adds 1-2% total costs.
Yes, but for every 1% actual increase, automakers will add 2%. They make plenty. When we had car plants in Delaware, they'd be shut down for 3 months a year and the would make 90% of their wage PLUS full unemployment.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Just to be clear, the major reason for price hikes over the last several years is because of the tariffs on imported materials.

if we could rollback tariffs for good and go back to free trade we would see significant deflation in car prices.

OP
OP
5.0ALM

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
Ford has been pretty mum on the situation so far. But it doesn't bode well if Ford's former CEO is already saying that the UAW has a "much higher probability" of going on strike.

This comes at a time when automakers are going through a "once in a century changeover in propulsion systems."

Ford is one that is making a hard push for EV's and they are losing money hand over fist on them. They are only staying profitable due to ICE sales.

The UPS contract agreement may help temper the UAW negotiations.

But hopefully, his last statement "Wages don't matter much if you don't have jobs." doesn't prove to be prophetic.

Edit: Added Link:
https://www.thestreet.com/automotiv...-playing-games?puc=smartnews&cm_ven=SMARTNEWS

Last edited:

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I just left my union hall for the vote…. And the place was PACKED!
The workers are fired up

And unfortunately in my plant ALOT of the workers WANT to strike… I don’t get it.
They haven’t even seen a contract presented… and they’re hot to hit the picket line.

Last edited:
OP
OP
5.0ALM

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How would a UAW strike affect auto dealerships and consumers?

"...This one could last longer than any previous strike"

Sponsored