• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Throttle House: 2024 Mustang GTPP vs Camaro SS 1LE - Drag Race & Lap Times

slowjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT base manual
Same reason they don't put the tremec in the gt, they know we will still buy it 😭
Sponsored

5.ooooooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O7 merc mountianeer premier
Would the Dark Horse not be a much more even match to the SS 1LE? Maybe just the SS vs the GT. But to me the SS 1LE and Dark Horse with Handling Pack are the same level car.
650 was a non Magnaride vs the Camaro with Magnaride...

So skewed from the start. Add the tire equation in as well.

The 650 can be made into a weapon. From Flat Rock, as is, it's not quite there.

I have said this before, and we are now seeing it first hand, the departure of the Camaro is not good for us or the Mustang. You get lazy when the room is empty when you look around.
it gonna be 2005 again. Where GM only had the GTO and corvette.The mustang GT at the time was barely matching the departed trans and and camaro.With Ford having a monopoly on a rwd , manual American coupe, Ford real doesn’t have a reason to try. With the exception of the GTD, but who have 300k😑

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
At the end of the day, as with anything else, it's all about pros and cons. The Camaro was small, it was light, it handled well and was relatively affordable, but no-one bought it. Because it was small, and cramped, and hard to see out of.

The Camaro is a good 3rd or 4th kind of car. The one that sits in the garage until you have time to go to a track day. Whereas the mustang is a good cruiser that also handles and performs very well for what it is. A mustang can be used as a commuter car with relative ease, the Camaro, less so.

I predict if we see the Camaro make a return at all, it will be significantly larger, at least as big as the s650, maybe even the challenger. Because GM learned the track car with a boatload of on-road compromises may appeal to enthusiasts on paper, but it doesn't get people to come into the showroom.

phantom214

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Camaro ss : better handling, much better cooling (include differential cooler), better 10r80 logic, superior eLSD.. Etc
We all know that.

But Camaro is not Mustang.
The numbers aren't everything when it comes to purchasing a car.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
so after a bit of spirited driving on back roads i can see what Thomas is saying a little better, when youre taking turns at any sort of speed you can easily feel that the car WANTS to be slung in hard and take corners fast as possible, but the tires just arent there, i dont necessarily agree that its the steering wheels fault however, at least not entirely, sure the steering is light, but to me its still noticeable feedback from the road, however the tires feel like they constantly want to lose grip even in lower speed corners. i will note however that my car is running MagneRide on it so the ride is definitely going to be different compared to what they tested.

Ultimately it seems like the simplest course of action with these PZ's is to practice straight lines and the art of turning tires into smoke and swapping them out for better tires. if that doesnt help enough there always Steeda suspension parts.

NotAMustangFanYet_011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not A Mustang
it gonna be 2005 again. Where GM only had the GTO and corvette.The mustang GT at the time was barely matching the departed trans and and camaro.With Ford having a monopoly on a rwd , manual American coupe, Ford real doesn’t have a reason to try. With the exception of the GTD, but who have 300k😑
Except instead of having the GTO and G8, we have the V-series Caddys. 🤠

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion
At the end of the day, as with anything else, it's all about pros and cons. The Camaro was small, it was light, it handled well and was relatively affordable, but no-one bought it. Because it was small, and cramped, and hard to see out of.
That's why the Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing has some appeal to me being on the same platform without the visibility problem. I just wish it had an NA V8 instead of a turbo V6.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Atlas Blue GT
The new Mustang feels sluggish all around to me. The Camaro has the low end torque and a much better road feel. Glued would be a good description. I really wish I would have test driven a Mach 1.

Lastoutlaw_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia stinger and hyundai tucson hybrid
The new Mustang feels sluggish all around to me. The Camaro has the low end torque and a much better road feel. Glued would be a good description. I really wish I would have test driven a Mach 1.
The 5.0 has never been known for torque. It's power is made high up top. If you wanted low end the camaro or hemi would have been better options. That or anything with forced induction. I don't think a Mach 1 would be better because it's track based and not straight line based.

VaporGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It's a good and fair video. Theses guys know what they're talking about… if you want to compete with a Camaro on a track you're going to have to modify your GT.

But the Mustang GT is faster in a straight line, looks better, is more comfortable, sounds better and is much more suitable for everyday driving.

it also means that I made the right choice... I'm can’t wait to finally receive my own Mustang GT.

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14' Honda Civic EX; 14' Honda VFR800 DLX
Like many of you, I wasn't a fan of the mismatched comparison either. SS VS GT or 1LE vs DH, full stop...no point in going any further than that.

Does the Camaro bring better VALUE to the table. 100%. Up here in Canada a 2SS 1LE and DH/HP are about $11K difference. It's not contest, really. Honestly, if someone's goal was affordability for a track car, I don't even know why they'd even consider a new car.

As for the 1LE vs M1/DH (we can only assume and wait for LL @ VIR to confirm) - it's a circuit dependent battle. Each has pros/cons and they will be exploited or enhanced based on the circuit. Calling one definitively better over the other just ain't it...we've seen times to support both sides of the fight.

The 1LE is by far the easier car to approach the limit with, I will say that without a doubt. You can thank the ELSD for that.

I know a lot of people want to fight for their brand or whatever this bullshit tribalism is, but at the end of the day, each car provides a different set of skills that either go up or down someone's "list" when shopping. The Challenger ScatPack WB would have been dead last in this comparison had they included it...and yet...go check the sales figures.

EDIT: TLDR; each of the big 3's coupes are awesome and provide something for everyone.
Sponsored