• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
Source: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-ford-mustang-gt-s650-2023-chevrolet-camaro-ss-specs-comparison

2024 Ford Mustang GT S650 vs. 2023 Chevrolet Camaro SS Specs Comparison

2024-Ford-Mustang-GT-vs.-2023-Chevy-Camaro-SS.jpg

With the introduction of the 2024 Ford Mustang GT (codenamed S650), we immediately had to figure out just how it compares to the latest 2023 Chevrolet Camaro. The S650 Mustang is a clear evolution of the design of the sixth-generation S550, but they are cosmetically and mechanically different enough from each other to warrant another look. Meanwhile, the 2023 Camaro is still more or less the same as it was in 2016 when its fifth-generation model was first released. Let's take a closer look at both to see if the new Mustang is better than the "old" Camaro, or if the competition is still alive. Well, on paper, at least.

ng-Coyote-IV-V-8-engine-6.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492.jpg

Ford 5.0 vs. Chevy LT1
Both the GT and SS will be powered by V-8 engines, but both are still radically different from each other. The LT1 in the Camaro SS is still the pushrod Small Block design used by Chevrolet since the 1950s, albeit with changes to make this a very potent powerhouse under the hood of every General Motors vehicle that shares it. With a 4.06 inch bore and 3.62 inch stroke, the LT1 measures out to 6.2 liters that produces 455 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 455 lb-ft of torque at 4,400 rpm.

Ford hasn't released the SAE power figures for the S650's updated 5.0 liter V-8, which is still the 3.63 inch bore and 3.65 inch stroke to make its 5.0 liter displacement and is similar to the outgoing S550 engine. Last year, that engine was good for 460 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque, but this was using a single throttle body and an indirect air box system. The new 5.0 uses dual 80mm throttle bodies that are fed directly by the "nostrils" of the grille and the connecting rods. A similar V-8 is used in the new Dark Horse and that's good for an estimated 500 hp, and we expect 10-20 hp less in the 5.0-liter GT.

-ford-mustang-interior-02.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492.jpg

Transmissions and Rear Gearing
Both the new Mustang GT and current Camaro SS will be offered with six-speed manual transmissions and 10-speed automatics. However, the Mustang will come with two rear gear options for each transmission where the Camaro SS only comes with one for each.

The SS comes with a 3.73:1 for the manual-equipped setup while the automatic gets the 2.77:1 ratio. The new Mustang GT gets a 3.31:1 for the manual-equipped car, 3.55:1 for the automatic (both coming with limited slip). A 3.55:1 Torsen will come in the automatic GT and a 3.73 Torsen comes in the six-speed GT in their available Performance Pack versions. These are all similar to the 2023 Mustang, so we expect similar performance from the GT in terms of acceleration.

2024-ford-mustang-gt-07.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492.jpg

Brakes and Suspension
Both cars are fitted with MacPherson strut front and multi-link rear suspensions, losing their solid axles long ago. Both also get the MagneRide suspension as an optional active damping system and use electronic steering assist with selectable effort levels.

Brakes, on the other hand, are different between the Camaro SS and Mustang GT. The Camaro wears a set of 13.6 inch front rotors with four piston fixed calipers. The Mustang gets 13.86 inch rotors up front with four piston fixed calipers, and an optional setup for the GT is a set of 15.35 inch rotors with six piston Brembo calipers. This is similar to the S550, but the optional Brembos have grown roughly 0.40 inch (the rotors were 14.96 inches), and are now available in three paint finishes.

2024-ford-mustang-gt-05.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492.jpg

Wheels and Tires
The Camaro SS uses a set of 20x8.5 front and 20x9.5 wheels with P245/40R20 front and P275/30R20 rear summer tires. The S650 Mustang GT comes standard with 18x8.5 wheels all around wearing 255/45R18 tires. There are also optional 19x8.5 wheels in 255/40R19 and 20x9.0 in 265/35R20. The Mustang GT with the Performance Pack gets 19x9.0 front and 19x9.5 rear wheels in 255/40R19 front and 275/40R19 Y-rated summer tires.

2024-ford-mustang-gt-04.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492.jpg

Exterior Dimensions
Parking either car will probably not be a problem for most people, but their footprints will give a decent idea of how much road holding each performance model will provide. The S650 Mustang GT has a wheelbase of 107 inches with an overall length of 189.4 inches, overall width of 75.4 inches (until the mirrors, which it then increases to 81.9 inches), and an overall height of 55 inches for the coupe and 54.8 for the convertible. It also has a track width of 62 inches in the front and 64.7 inches in the rear.

The Camaro SS has a slightly longer wheelbase of 110.7 inches, barely shorter overall length of 188.3 inches, overall width of 74.7 inches, and lower overall height of 53.1 inches for both the coupe and droptop. The SS also has a one-inch-wider track width of 63 inches up front and slimmer 62.9 inches at the rear.

2024-ford-mustang-gt-02.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492.jpg

Muscle Weight
Power is nothing if you're carrying too much weight. The Camaro SS hits the scales at 3,685 lbs for the six-speed coupe and 3,747 lbs for the 10-speed auto. The convertible version comes in at 3,932 lbs for the manual and 3,993 lbs for the automatic.

For the 2024 Mustang GT, the coupe comes in at 3,730 lbs with the manual transmission and 3,752 lbs for the auto. The convertible version is 3,916 lbs for its manual and 3,932 lbs for its automatic.

2024-ford-mustang-gt-34.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492.jpg

Passenger Room
Both the coupe and convertible versions of the Camaro SS gives its front occupants 38.5 inches of headroom and 43.9 inches of legroom. While you can technically put four people in the SS, it's probably not a great experience as you'll give them 33.5 inches of headroom in the coupe and 33.4 inches in the convertible. Both versions only give rear occupants 29.9 inches of legroom.

The 2024 Mustang GT is also technically a four seater, as its coupe version offers its front passengers 37.6 inches of headroom and 44.5 inches of legroom and 34.8 inches of headroom and 29 inches of legroom for the rear. The convertible version is nearly the same, but rear passengers will get 35.7 inches of headroom and 29.2 inches of legroom.

mustang-gt-convertible-01.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492.jpg

Trunk Volume
You're probably not going on a long, cross country road trip with more than maybe one other person in either car, but you can carry some luggage in the trunk of both vehicles. The Mustang is capable of carrying 13.3 cu ft of cargo while the convertible shrinks to just 10.3 cu ft. This is far better than the Camaro with only 9.1 cu ft of trunk volume for the coupe and 7.3 cu ft for the convertible.

2024-ford-mustang-gt-24.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492.jpg

Driver Assist Features
The maturing 2022 Camaro SS doesn't have the latest safety and driver assist features we're seeing from other Chevrolet vehicles coming out as renewed or refreshed in 2023, at least not yet. As such, it does come with an HD Rear View camera, heads-up display, forward collision detection (coupe only), rear park assist, rear cross traffic alert, and lane change alert with side blind zone alert on the 2SS package.

The S650 Mustang GT comes with adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go and speed sign recognition as an option while auto high beams, blind spot information with cross traffic alert and braking, lane keep assist, pre-collision assist with auto braking (includes pedestrian detection), rear view camera, and rain-sensing wipers are all standard driver assist features.

2024-ford-mustang-gt-44.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492.jpg

Drag and Track Features
However, when it comes to fun stuff that makes the new Mustang such a track-worthy car, it's the modes that make the Mustang GT stand out from the Camaro SS. By going through its menu system, the S650 has electronic line lock for burnouts, track-focused apps, an acceleration timer, accelerometer, brake performance meter, lap timer function, and launch control, and the new Mustang is equipped for OTA updates (branded as Ford Power-Up software updates) to potentially expand upon its features and settings.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for my 2023 C8 Stingray
First Name
Steve
It's shame Chevy is letting the Camaro die. The Camaro6 had the performance advantage to the 15 GT when it launched, but Ford stepped up the Mustang with the 18 refresh so it performed on par while still offering more space and practicability.

Then Chevy did pretty much nothing with their refresh besides ruining the exterior of the car and going away from the not that great 8 speed with shudder problems.

Now, the Gen 7 Mustang is clearly ahead of the Camaro. Still more space, but now having all the modern tech you expect. And the horsepower boost and platform upgrades will finally make it the faster car without a doubt. Export markets will have to wait how much GPF will tune down power though.

I would have love to see more material quality upgrades in the interior. But even as a former Camaro owner, you have to be crazy to order a brand new Camaro instead of the S650 (if you get MSRP). I talked with a few Camaro guys and the design of the Gen 7 really works for many Camaro owners, which is just genius of Ford here.

The only Camaro really worth it is the ZL1 now. With Ford pausing the Gt500 for quite some time with Gen 7 there isn't any performance competition for the ZL1.

TheEndarkenment

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes W203 - C280 =(
First Name
Donny
I talked with a few Camaro guys and the design of the Gen 7 really works for many Camaro owners, which is just genius of Ford here.
I agree with this! I owned a 2016 Camaro SS for a few years. My business and life was botched by a global mass hysteria and now I no longer own it.

As an ex Camaro owner I think the Mustang 7g looks AMAZING. I can certainly see the Camaro'ish parts everyone is talking about and it makes me giggle Ford allowed it. I think they were just aiming for a great design and there has always been a little cross over. I've always loved ALL muscle cars but lean Camaro. Thought the 6gen Mustang was great though. I prefer the 7gen over the 6th gen refresh. I would likely get a 7gen Mustang as next muscle car.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
It's shame Chevy is letting the Camaro die. The Camaro6 had the performance advantage to the 15 GT when it launched, but Ford stepped up the Mustang with the 18 refresh so it performed on par while still offering more space and practicability.
It makes me wonder if Chevrolet is going to do something with an electric version of a similarly sized vehicle. If so, it would be interesting to see what the differences are...

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for my 2023 C8 Stingray
First Name
Steve
It makes me wonder if Chevrolet is going to do something with an electric version of a similarly sized vehicle. If so, it would be interesting to see what the differences are...
Latest rumors state the Lansing plant will build the electric corvette (not C8, standalone model) and an SUV-like Corvette variant in the future. That would fit the rumors the Camaro production will end in 2024 without any successor since the plant will build Corvette models instead.

Spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Boxster GTS
But even as a former Camaro owner, you have to be crazy to order a brand new Camaro instead of the S650 (if you get MSRP). I talked with a few Camaro guys and the design of the Gen 7 really works for many Camaro owners, which is just genius of Ford here.
Agreed. I'm one of those who was seriously considering a 2023 1LE but the Dark Horse just stomped all over that plan.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
I actually think the Camaro looks better now.