• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Throttle House: 2024 Mustang GTPP vs Camaro SS 1LE - Drag Race & Lap Times

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
Stop while you’re ahead—good job. You should just forget watching after the track comparison portion where Thomas says getting out of the Mustang and into the SS is like getting out of a pickup truck and into a Porsche.
I'm not much of a track guy. Always been into drag more but after watching so many Camaro vs Mustang videos over course of the past several years have you ever noticed what many of these reviewers drive as a personal car the last several years? I find several of them own the GT350R while I have also noticed none of them chose a 1LE for whatever reason. Not hating. Just something I have noticed. The Mach 1 is also faster around the track than either one of them per Car & Driver lightning lap. 1LE might still have the best bang for buck though for those watching the budget real close. I think the 1LE is going up like $4000 this year though.
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
No surprises here. The GT even with the PP is vastly under tired. The SS 1LE comes with better tires (Eagle F1 Supercar) and wider 285/305. It would be nice if the PP came with a better tire/wheel setup, but that is something easily fixed. You can't easily fix the claustrophobic Camaro cabin.

^^^^^This^^^^

Not to mention the move to the P Zeros was a big step backwards. A set of aggressive rubber would go along way to making up some time.

sir5574

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
as someone who once owned a 2017 SS1LE this what I've been saying on this forum for months... what ford gives you with the PP compared to what you get with the 1LE is trash, and this further proves it.

FlyNavy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Gold Camry
Would the Dark Horse not me a much more even match to the SS 1LE? Maybe just the SS vs the GT. But to me the SS 1LE and Dark Horse with Handling Pack are the same level car.
with a 20k price difference…LOL that Camaro is a hell of a performance deal!

Rate_of_Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO, 22 Triumph Speed Twin
Would the Dark Horse not me a much more even match to the SS 1LE? Maybe just the SS vs the GT. But to me the SS 1LE and Dark Horse with Handling Pack are the same level car.
The DH will likely be on par with a 1LE car but a significantly more money (remember, there is nothing in a 2SS 1LE that makes it go faster than a 1SS 1LE and that’s a $49k car…

I wonder how DH will compare against the M2 as they are both similar in price.

Either way, no surprises here. The GT S650 is a beach cruiser or straight line bomber like most expected. Ask it to manage heat or go around a corner at it will be pretty disappointing when compared to other options.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
U have your car yet ? I love that rapid red, wish I,would have gotten that or vapor blue
Yes, picked up last Friday (9/22/23), however she’s in time-out at the moment. Got the ‘remote features disabled’ message, so onto the charger she went. Thx.

rchandler9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Expedition and 14' Infiniti Q50s
with a 20k price difference…LOL that Camaro is a hell of a performance deal!
Agreed, I didnt know it was that much of a difference in $. I am not up on my camaro prices. It is crazy how good that camaro is for the price! Wish Ford would have stepped up and at least tried!

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
Yes, picked up last Friday (9/22/23), however she’s in time-out at the moment. Got the ‘remote features disabled’ message, so onto the charger she went. Thx.
That’s crazy.
you put photos on here?

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
Would the Dark Horse not be a much more even match to the SS 1LE? Maybe just the SS vs the GT. But to me the SS 1LE and Dark Horse with Handling Pack are the same level car.
Right and the GT didn't even have magneride while the Camaro was optioned with magneride. These reviewers don't really know how to do proper comparisons. I mean we had Motor Trend comparing a scat pack with an automatic to a manual GT last week. A lot of these comparisons don't make sense. They are eager to push content so they didn't wait for the Dark Horse. The Dark Horse WILL smash the 1LE on the track as I'm sure Ford benchmarked the Mach 1 which was already smashing the 1LE on the track.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

cstraley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT , 24 Tundra, 2023 M240i, 23 QX80
"it is like getting out of a pickup truck and into a Porsche"

That's how he sums up the track performance difference from the new Mustang to the old Camaro...ouch!
I cross shopped the SS1LE and I can say that it does handle much better but at the expense of ride quality. They ride pretty hard even with the magnetic suspension. The road impacts could be felt and heard on the structure of the car, even when set to the softest setting. The ride quality in comparison to the S650 with magride is like night and day imo. I really enjoy the ride in the S650. If I had any plans of tracking my car I would have went SS1LE all day long but I don't track my cars. My wife also kept saying the camaro looks the same as it did several years ago. I couldn't shake that thought. With all of that being said the SS1LE is an amazing car. I think with some good Michelins the handling will improve quite a bit on the GT.

cstraley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT , 24 Tundra, 2023 M240i, 23 QX80
Right and the GT didn't even have magneride while the Camaro was optioned with magneride. These reviewers don't really know how to do proper comparisons. I mean we had Motor Trend comparing a scat pack with an automatic to a manual GT last week. A lot of these comparisons don't make sense. They are eager to push content so they didn't wait for the Dark Horse. The Dark Horse WILL smash the 1LE on the track as I'm sure Ford benchmarked the Mach 1 which was already smashing the 1LE on the track.
I took note that the S650 did not have Magneride but the SS1LE did and don't forget the SS1LE had a track alignment! And better tires. This was not a peer review imo.

FlyNavy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Gold Camry
I like that the GT is a solid, comfortable ride that's a great DD. If you want to track it, the aftermarket support is awesome, and with a few mods you can have a track weapon.
Sponsored