• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Security Package- Wheel Locks

new_edge_04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Mustang GT, 06 Mustang GT, 16 F-150, 19 Edge ST
I’m planning on ordering my dream mustang in a few weeks. For those who purchased a 201a or 401a that comes with the security package… do you know if the wheel locks are installed at the factory or by the dealer? If dealer installed did they give you the regular lug nuts they removed to install the wheel locks?
Sponsored

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I think they were installed at the factory. Installed by the dealer. They put the socket to remove them in my glove box when I picked up the car.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
It's a good question. I never asked who did what. The locking nuts were on the car when I picked it up, while the original non-locking lugs (4) and key were given to me. I also got the pouch with the serial number of the locking lugs.

If you have a preference in how you'd like to receive, chat up your salesperson. Requests like this, they can let the inspector/checkout techs gather things the way you ask. They accommodate simple requests all the time.

Edit: See Skye's "Loose Item Checklist". They were installed by the receiving dealer.

S650 Mustang Security Package- Wheel Locks 1708032176613

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
They are installed by the Dealer. I didn't have mine installed and threw them in the trash.

BYBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT
Mine came installed by dealer with normal lugs in a bag in trunk. First “mod” I did was trashing the locks.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Mine came... in the factory-sealed bag, which was in the glove box 🤷‍♂️

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
they should be installed by the dealer during PDI, but if you ask them not to, they will usually listen. whether or not they give you the old lugs really depends on the person installing them. ive installed a few wheel lock kits and always put the old lugs with the "key" in the glove box

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
It's a good question. I never asked who did what. The locking nuts were on the car when I picked it up, while the original non-locking lugs (4) and key were given to me. I also got the pouch with the serial number of the locking lugs.

If you have a preference in how you'd like to receive, chat up your salesperson. Requests like this, they can let the inspector/checkout techs gather things the way you ask. They accommodate simple requests all the time.

Edit: See Skye's "Loose Item Checklist". They were installed by the receiving dealer.

1708032176613.png
Just curious:
PEPS RMT FOBS
REF MANUAL(S)

hah pep not peep.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Passive Entry Passive Start (PEPS). Nothing special. Ford's lingo for their fob.

They did ship one printed copy of the Owner's Manual and Warranty Guide.

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I asked them not to install mine as I had a set of Gorilla locks I used instead. They blend in better.
The Ford ones stick out like a sore thumb...

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
I'd personally get rid of the entire factory lug set and put a full set (Gorilla, etc) of reputable lugs/ locking lugs. Those factory Ford lugs with the chrome/polished covering are junk, IMHO. After they swell on you after a couple/few years, you will know what I'm talking about.

JohnO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES F Sport, 85 Mustang GT modified
Mine were installed by the dealer but I took them off right away as I hate locking lug nuts. The standard lug nuts and wheel lock were in the trunk. I don't park in places where my wheels are going to get stolen. The only time it'd be good to use them is if you're traveling and the car's parked overnight at a hotel.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I'd personally get rid of the entire factory lug set and put a full set (Gorilla, etc) of reputable lugs/ locking lugs. Those factory Ford lugs with the chrome/polished covering are junk, IMHO. After they swell on you after a couple/few years, you will know what I'm talking about.
So, I thought this was a joke. Nope. My previous vehicle, 2017 Ford F-150 that I purchased new with less than 100 miles, experienced the "swelling" by 80,000 miles. When I took the vehicle to Ford's QuickLane for an oil change and tire rotation, they declined to rotate the tires because they said if they removed the "swollen" lug nuts, I would have to approve paying for new lug nuts ($80-$100).

With that in mind, I plan on looking for some different lug nuts and I see you recommended Gorilla. My question to you is, is it safe to assume that the wheel locks, from Ford, will experience the swelling as well?

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
So, I thought this was a joke. Nope. My previous vehicle, 2017 Ford F-150 that I purchased new with less than 100 miles, experienced the "swelling" by 80,000 miles. When I took the vehicle to Ford's QuickLane for an oil change and tire rotation, they declined to rotate the tires because they said if they removed the "swollen" lug nuts, I would have to approve paying for new lug nuts ($80-$100).

With that in mind, I plan on looking for some different lug nuts and I see you recommended Gorilla. My question to you is, is it safe to assume that the wheel locks, from Ford, will experience the swelling as well?
Yeah, its a real thing....They can swell slightly and get where a socket will not fit properly to torque them enough to remove. Which then the person removing them has to either try a larger socket, specialty tool or drill the lug nut off. Whichever way, the lug nuts will get damaged in the process causing the need to replace.

For the single locking lug in the Ford kit, I don't think that it is a 2 piece design...i could be wrong though. If it is a one piece design, swelling shouldn't be an issue. The factory Ford lugs are 2 piece designs, meaning that they have that chrome metal cover pressed on over the actual lug. On the Gorilla lug nut/ locking lug nut set, all of the lug nuts are locking nuts and the tool included is used to install/ remove all of them.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I know it's a real thing, but is it safe to assume the security wheel locks from Ford will experience the same characteristics?
Sponsored