• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
The S650 is basically a new top hat on the same platform with more CD6 components used.
So that basically contradicts what the Automotive News article reports, where it states that "expected to be moved to the same rear-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive platform shared by the Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator". It's either D2C based (adapted with CD6 components) or it is CD6 based. It can't be both. Let's hope the Ford guy from BOF is right :)
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
So that basically contradicts what the Automotive New article reports, where it states that "expected to be moved to the same rear-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive platform shared by the Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator". It's either D2C based (adapted with CD6 components) or it is CD6 based. It can't be both. Let's hope the Ford guy from BOF is right :)
Exactly, in terms of it's architecture, I suspect Automotive News are simply repeating what Autocar magazine reported a couple of months back. And that was likely nothing more than assumptions based on Ford's own announcement back in January 2019, when they said they were downsizing to "5 architectures".

https://www.sae.org/news/2018/08/fo...ns to,optimized for battery-electric vehicles.

"By 2023, Ford plans to go from its current nine global platforms to five flexible vehicle architectures: front wheel drive unibody; rear wheel drive unibody; commercial van unibody; body-on-frame; and an architecture optimized for battery-electric vehicles".

So, the assumption was Mustang would move to CD6 as it that was going to be the only RWD Unibody architecture.

Again, another article.......remember the designer stating CD6 "wouldn't bastardize the Mustang"?

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...rd-really-planning-a-mustang-based-four-door/
Over the summer, much talk was heard of the upcoming “modular Mustang.” Around that time, Ford released details on its plan to move to five distinct architectures for all of its future vehicles. The Mustang was assumed to move to the dedicated RWD/AWD platform — ie, the CD6.

“Mustang is still going to be a strong, well proportioned vehicle,” the Mustang’s chief designer, Darrell Behmer, told Automotive News in August. “The modular architectures will still give us flexibility; it’s not going to bastardize Mustang.”

The model’s future seems clear, no? Not exactly. Sources tell TTAC that the next-gen Mustang will not adopt the CD6 platform; rather, it will soldier on with its current architecture, possible in a mildly revised form.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
stated the roofline will drop an inch
it's already too low and they want to compound the problem? The Camaro not selling and they want to copy it? chop 2" out of the slab side instead and raise the roof line an inch (or at least lengthen it further rearward).

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Let's hope for a lighter model with more power!

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I was really hoping the next-gen Mustang would get a proper new platform not one cobbled together from others.
They did that , in 2004 with the S197

Didn't seem to make a huge dent in sales so why not share platforms

Its always possible to shorten a wheelbase if the engineers knew what they were doing when designing a 21st century modern day automative platform. EZ PZ...

But it will certainly compete with the LX cars for rear seat room , make no doubt about that.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I was really hoping the next-gen Mustang would get a proper new platform not one cobbled together from others.
Why? GM designed a modular Alpha platform used in many vehicles. Why can't Ford reap the same benefits? Just because it's the same platform, doesn't mean the wheelbase will be the same as an Explorer or Aviator.

Basically the CD6 platform is a rear-drive platform which allows for AWD applications where necessary. That coupled with the fact that Ford has now widely used the PowerBoost tech in the F-150, Aviator, and Explorer using the 10R80 means we could be in for a really interesting S650.

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
Ford needs to find a good use for the platform since the Explorer and Aviator launches have been absolute failures. the only thing they're probably sold off that platform are police interceptors, and I haven't seen any of those around either.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm out of it these days, Is this the same thing as the Mustang Mach-E or are these two different lines? I have determined my next car will be a high performance electric

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
Ford needs to find a good use for the platform since the Explorer and Aviator launches have been absolute failures. the only thing they're probably sold off that platform are police interceptors, and I haven't seen any of those around either.
Really? I see Explorers everywhere. The entire California Highway Patrol uses them too.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really? I see Explorers everywhere. The entire California Highway Patrol uses them too.
He was referring to the MY2020 rollout I think. Also you want an example of bone-heads in engineering and accounting bodging stuff. The reason you see the exhaust tips on the Explorer turned 90deg down was because Ford's crappy cabin seals and aero conspired to draw exhaust into the cabin. Rather than fix any of the root cause problems, they came up with the bodge because it meant no changes and negligible change to cost. Makes you wonder if this isn't a decades old problem Ford refuses to actually fix since the Crown Vic had a similar downward pipe.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just want an all aluminum frame, with CF body panels, transaxle, and everything needs to be bulletproof out to double the factory rated horsepower. All this and keep the cost down under $36k base. Or, to put it another way, "...rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends...".

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
will S650 still be on an adapted version of the S550 platform (as was suggested earlier) or will they make the move to the CD6 platform straight away? The latter sounds more plausible to be honest.
you confuse Ford with an organization that has money and is run by pursuit of excellence. Just look at the last 15 years of Mustang and ask yourself, when push come to shove did Ford design it RIGHT, or did they cheap-ass out and cut corners.
CD6 is a big financial risk. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets canned and no vehicles ever use it. Doing as little as possible appears to be Ford's design ethos.

though Automotive News does say that Ford is expecting to sell 97,000 Mustangs per year, with 20,000 of those being convertibles.
talk about certified DELUSIONAL! If they clear 60,000 units /yr I'll eat my hat. Electrics are coming on fast even if by European legislative dictat with no fact-based rationalization. The people who buy Mustangs are dying off very fast and no amount of electrification is likely to change that.
At least global warming will be so severe we'll all be clamoring for drop-top I guess. /sarc
What's the 'vert mix today?

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
you confuse Ford with an organization that has money and is run by pursuit of excellence. Just look at the last 15 years of Mustang and ask yourself, when push come to shove did Ford design it RIGHT, or did they cheap-ass out and cut corners.
CD6 is a big financial risk. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets canned and no vehicles ever use it. Doing as little as possible appears to be Ford's design ethos.

talk about certified DELUSIONAL! If they clear 60,000 units /yr I'll eat my hat. Electrics are coming on fast even if by European legislative dictat with no fact-based rationalization. The people who buy Mustangs are dying off very fast and no amount of electrification is likely to change that.
At least global warming will be so severe we'll all be clamoring for drop-top I guess. /sarc
Well, I’ve owned a 2005, 2014, and now 2020 Mustang and each has been light years better than the last. That’s in 15 years, and I loved all 3 cars. Did Ford not develop the Coyote and EcoBoost engines in the past 15 years? This obsession with “platform” makes no sense. There are close to zero common elements between my 2014 and 2020 Mustang.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Does that hat eating bet include the Mach-e :giggle:
Sponsored