• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
LOL at the poser attack. Pot meet kettle.
i drive a 2003 Cobra with a tremec six speed and know how to drive it thank you.
That said, if it had a DCT option, I’d have taken it. As much as I love shifting (except-in SoCal rush hour. It’s why my daily is an auto SUV), the consistency without slamming the transmission is not nearly as good. There should be the option.

You sound like the guy who doesn’t care about winning and is content shifting during his fly by at the end of a losing race. That’s fine. But don’t knock those who like getting the most out of the power the mustang has.

the idea of having the better car is not to “flex” (although there is a time for that. And your better have the bigger biceps, or you’ll just look lame for trying). It’s about enjoying the most out of what you bought. And if you dont, it may be true that you are not an enthusiast. That’s ok. But it’s a it strange to knock those of us who are enthusiasts for wanting more to be enthusiastic about.

the mustang is exactly for me and people like me. I don’t want a Tesla Or a Mach e or any other e-jellybean. I want the mustang. The American icon hot rod in a sports car silhouette. We will see what the s650 has up its sleeve in a couple years when the meaningful performers launch. But I’m not only talking about the s650. I’m talking about beyond. Try to keep up.

the Cobra set the template for s550 to gain IRS across the board. It’s funny how the IRS was controversial to some back in the day, leaving some to forget about the supercharged power and superior handling of the cobra in order to have more drag strip friendly SRA of the Mach 1. I believe the move to AWD will be similar. A hi-po mustang gets AWD and some will complain (like they did with thegt500 DCT - which allows it to be as fast as it can via RWD). If it will be seen as the best performing. And a generation or two later, most, if not all tiers will have it. It’s called progress. The mustang deserves to improve. there are old mustang for those who want to live in the past.
Your arguments would hold more water is you actually owned a S550 instead of an archaic SN95. The 03’ was/is an awesome car in its own right but the S550 is superior in every category.

The S650 will be an evolutionary update to the S550. The revolutionary changes you are asking for will need to wait until the electric S750.
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Your arguments would hold more water is you actually owned a S550 instead of an archaic SN95. The 03’ was/is an awesome car in its own right but the S550 is superior in every category.

The S650 will be an evolutionary update to the S550. The revolutionary changes you are asking for will need to wait until the electric S750.
that’s bologne. I don’t need to own anything other than a performance oriented mustang. The s550 didn’t do it for me. The gt500 does, but it came a bit too late and too close to when the s650 was originally expected. The s197 old 1960s look wasn’t my style. The Cobra is on its second engine and rebuilt IRS. It does what I want it to do for now. No need to buy just to buy. I’m the type who sees furniture I want and save for a couple months to get exactly that, even if it means doing without for a while. In the end, I’m content and at peace with my purchase

You can try to keep moving the goalposts in order to shut down a compelling idea. But they only moved in your head.

at least your closing had some merit. As I said before, I’m not just looking at s650. I’m looking at later s650 models and the generation beyond s650. That’s the entire reason I brought up EV/hybrid.

The new platform is being researched and worked on now. It must have AWD and a powertrain that exceeds the capabilities of the general purpose EVs out there competing for dollars at that time. The one thing about the mustang is that has always had engines that rival or exceed the very best hot rod competitors. Things are changing with EV to where everything has good performance. That won’t be good enough for the mustang at that point. AWD as well will be something that isn’t really an option anymore.

As the mustang is not a general purpose car, not a grocery getter or soccer team hauler, but more of a sports car, a bit of a luxury to enjoy high performance and looking great doing it, it must do better. Period. Otherwise, go get yourself an SUV, minivan or station wagon. Or heck, even a cybertruck. The mustang needs to justify being what it is and make a compelling argument for people to plunk down the cash. It has always done that in the current market.

But a paradigm shift is happening. If the mustang doesn’t ride the wave and even lead it’s segments direction, whether that’s an AWD ev/hybrid/hydrogen powered pony car, it’s in trouble. Can’t afford to be luddites when the entire market is trying to kill what you love.

you might think you just want a mustang that’s a little better. A little faster, a little better looking. But there is SO much more on the table

Steve Jobs has a great insight into making great and successful products - something he was very good at:

“Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.”

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Gents.....just agree to disagree and move on :like:
Actually we do agree on a lot, just from different directions. Honestly who of us doesn't want the ultimate Mustang? That's all @9secondko is asking for. I'm just more of a realist and know that at this point in time it is unlikely we are going to get it. But who knows what the later S650's will bring. and the S750, well that's a pipe dream for now but isn't that we all are doing, dreaming?

By the way, both of those quotes are very true but I would like to add one.

"Don't ask people what they want, ask people what they are willing to pay for".
Gordon Bethune - Former CEO of Continental Airlines.

So what would the "ultimate" Mustang be worth? The current icon is the GT500 at $80-$110K. Where do we go from there?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Actually we do agree on a lot, just from different directions. Honestly who of us doesn't want the ultimate Mustang? That's all @9secondko is asking for. I'm just more of a realist and know that at this point in time it is unlikely we are going to get it. But who knows what the later S650's will bring. and the S750, well that's a pipe dream for now but isn't that we all are doing, dreaming?

By the way, both of those quotes are very true but I would like to add one.

So what would the "ultimate" Mustang be worth? The current icon is the GT500 at $80-$110K. Where do we go from there?
IRS was once a far off dream. It’s now standard in every Mustang sold.

AWD may seem like a far off dream…

and I’ll leave it at that.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I think the Mazda MX5 should have 850hp and AWD, but still retain it's purity.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
One thing I would like to say (hopefully in a reasonably polite and non-argumentative way @Twin Turbo ) is that if you take an S550 Mustang GT to the road course you will be impressed by it. It probably isn't great for street racing in stock form, but it's plenty fast if you get it off the street to a place where you can really open it up.

And I have driven Mustang GTs through the winter here in MN. It's no problem at all. Just get a nice set of snow tires.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
that’s bologne. I don’t need to own anything other than a performance oriented mustang. The s550 didn’t do it for me. The gt500 does, but it came a bit too late and too close to when the s650 was originally expected. The s197 old 1960s look wasn’t my style. The Cobra is on its second engine and rebuilt IRS. It does what I want it to do for now. No need to buy just to buy. I’m the type who sees furniture I want and save for a couple months to get exactly that, even if it means doing without for a while. In the end, I’m content and at peace with my purchase

You can try to keep moving the goalposts in order to shut down a compelling idea. But they only moved in your head.

at least your closing had some merit. As I said before, I’m not just looking at s650. I’m looking at later s650 models and the generation beyond s650. That’s the entire reason I brought up EV/hybrid.

The new platform is being researched and worked on now. It must have AWD and a powertrain that exceeds the capabilities of the general purpose EVs out there competing for dollars at that time. The one thing about the mustang is that has always had engines that rival or exceed the very best hot rod competitors. Things are changing with EV to where everything has good performance. That won’t be good enough for the mustang at that point. AWD as well will be something that isn’t really an option anymore.

As the mustang is not a general purpose car, not a grocery getter or soccer team hauler, but more of a sports car, a bit of a luxury to enjoy high performance and looking great doing it, it must do better. Period. Otherwise, go get yourself an SUV, minivan or station wagon. Or heck, even a cybertruck. The mustang needs to justify being what it is and make a compelling argument for people to plunk down the cash. It has always done that in the current market.

But a paradigm shift is happening. If the mustang doesn’t ride the wave and even lead it’s segments direction, whether that’s an AWD ev/hybrid/hydrogen powered pony car, it’s in trouble. Can’t afford to be luddites when the entire market is trying to kill what you love.

you might think you just want a mustang that’s a little better. A little faster, a little better looking. But there is SO much more on the table

Steve Jobs has a great insight into making great and successful products - something he was very good at:

“Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.”
Gen 7 might be the last V8 generation. Buy one or you might miss the opportunity.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Gen 7 might be the last V8 generation. Buy one or you might miss the opportunity.
I’m not worried about buying the last v8. If the package is compelling to me, I’ll buy it. Otherwise, I’ll buy the next gen, whatever that looks like. I have a feeling that Ford won’t let the mustang turn into a vacuum cleaner (charger) or get sterile.

if it’s faster, better looking, handles well, and can hook up, that’s what I’ll buy.

was looking at the gt500, but it came a bit too late, so I wanted to see what the s650 turned out to be. If it’s compelling, I’ll buy. If not, I can wait until 2030, at which point, I won’t be able to wait anymore.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I’m not worried about buying the last v8. If the package is compelling to me, I’ll buy it. Otherwise, I’ll buy the next gen, whatever that looks like. I have a feeling that Ford won’t let the mustang turn into a vacuum cleaner (charger) or get sterile.

if it’s faster, better looking, handles well, and can hook up, that’s what I’ll buy.

was looking at the gt500, but it came a bit too late, so I wanted to see what the s650 turned out to be. If it’s compelling, I’ll buy. If not, I can wait until 2030, at which point, I won’t be able to wait anymore.
I'm kinda with you on that. My plan was to keep my 19' GT/CS for ten years. If 2027 is actually the last year of the S650 and we know for sure it will be the last V8 I'll take a look at it. If not I'll wait.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

Ford Explorer GTX

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
I think the Mazda MX5 should have 850hp and AWD, but still retain it's purity.
Actually around 250-270hp in that car would be the sweet spot without AWD :p
Sponsored