• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ok, someone educate me here

zaimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium (ordered)
Cut me some slack as this is my first ever Ford (factory) order. I have factory ordered many new vehicles, but this is my very first for the blue oval. I just spoke with my salesman and he claimed that all of Ford's orders are allocation based? He said he isn't certain if they have an allocation yet for the GT but he will find out. I placed my order yesterday. I was aware that the Dark Horse was based on allocation, but I assumed the other vehicles were at will? So what does this mean if he does not have an allocation...should I shop at another dealership? I don't want to receive my car in November. I also don't understand how we're two weeks into the month and he doesn't know if he has an allocation or not..
Sponsored

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I'd go to someone else because he shouldn't be that clueless. The order banks opened over a month ago

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Agreed. There are no allocation limits I'm aware of with GT or Ecoboost. Just Dark Horse. Shop somewhere else if they don't know that.

mabcim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64.5 Mustang Conv, ‘22 Maverick, ‘23 Escape
There are only so many Mustangs a dealer will get in a year. My understanding is that Ford told the dealers what their approximate yearly allocation is. Once a month they are told how many they will for next month’s scheduling. Not all dealers automatically share it with their sales people, but will/should if they ask.

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
I swear I never knew about allocations period.

I thought a costumer could order as many cars as he want through a dealer.

I thought the dealer is just a "store" where you can order what and how many things you want and the shop goes to the factory and places the order.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I swear I never knew about allocations period.

I thought a costumer could order as many cars as he want through a dealer.

I thought the dealer is just a "store" where you can order what and how many things you want and the shop goes to the factory and places the order.
Allocations have always been around but have gotten much worse since Covid and the associated supply chain issues. Ford would love to make every standard Mustang they could but there are part limitations that unfortunately require the need for allocations.

There are a few threads regarding production on here. You can see that there are issues with a number of packages and options. Your salesman may be confusing these delays with allocations.

https://www.mustang7g.com/forums/th...-this-week-5-11-23.157004/page-2#post-3207236

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I just spoke with my salesman and he claimed that all of Ford's orders are allocation based?
That is correct. Every order, any model, has to be paired with a Ford factory allocation.

Allocations are model-specific and gifted based on previous sales. Dealers who sell a lot of Mustangs will be gifted more allocations than a dealer who sells few.

If an allocation is not available, while the dealer can take the order, they will need to get with their regional rep to secure a slot. So, something of a delay.

Some allocations can be more meaningful than others. For cars with limited runs, like a GT500, an allocation was everything. For other Mustang models, not so much.

Keep in contact with your dealer/salesperson. While their need to possibly secure an allocation could delay the order going in, it should not be a show-stopper.

Last edited:
OP
OP

zaimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I received an email confirming the order from Ford, within an hour of the order being submitted, if that makes a difference?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I received an email confirming the order from Ford, within an hour of the order being submitted, if that makes a difference?
That's a welcome sign, that Ford ack'd the order. I'd double-check with the salesperson, but it reads like he was unaware of his current allocations. A simple call or check-in to follow-up should remove any doubt.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I need to get my head around this...so if a dealer has X allocations for the year for all Mustangs does that impact which customer orders get built sooner vs later? I feel like this shouldn't impact those of us who have special orders in, but does it?

OP
OP

zaimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a welcome sign, that Ford ack'd the order. I'd double-check with the salesperson, but it reads like he was unaware of his current allocations. A simple call or check-in to follow-up should remove any doubt.
Simple call into where..? This information was from the dealership.

OP
OP

zaimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is correct. Every order, any model, has to be paired with a Ford factory allocation.

Allocations are model-specific and gifted based on previous sales. Dealers who sell a lot of Mustangs will be gifted more allocations than a dealer who sells few.

If an allocation is not available, while the dealer can take the order, they will need to get with their regional rep to secure a slot. So, something of a delay.

Some allocations can be more meaningful than others. For cars with limited runs, like a GT500, an allocation was everything. For other Mustang models, not so much.

Keep in contact with your dealer/salesperson. While their need to possibly secure an allocation could delay the order going in, it should not be a show-stopper.
I understand how allocations work. Again, I’ve ordered plenty of vehicles from the factory. Typically allocations are for special vehicles or limited runs, not a run of the mill Mustang GT. Never in my wildest dreams would I have guessed that such a car would actually be allocation based.

OP
OP

zaimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I need to get my head around this...so if a dealer has X allocations for the year for all Mustangs does that impact which customer orders get built sooner vs later? I feel like this shouldn't impact those of us who have special orders in, but does it?
An allocation order would take priority over even a special order (without an allocation).