• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
It definitely won't go fully electric, at least not until the rest of the automotive industry does.

I think Ford does see a huge potential here with a hybrid, though. The idea of a RWD with a pair of front axle electric motors is extremely appealing, especially given my New England climate. Combine that with the battery pack sitting right on the rear axle, and you're going to have a perfectly balanced AWD platform capable of putting down a ton of nearly instant torque.

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
With hundreds of thousands of deposits for the Tesla Model 3 I am coming around to the fact that an electric Mustang might be well received if executed correctly. It could also be a way to justify/finance the Mustang into the future including keeping around our beloved V8's or other ICE options.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
It's possible - just unlikely right off. Remember, Ford still owns the Model E name (Elon wanted it so badly to add to his Model S and X lineup to complete the trifecta, resorting to the 3 instead).

After Elon took Ford to court and failed to get the Model E name from them, Ford mentioned that they had a full production electric vehicle in the works of that name. The M-E was to get 200+mi on a charge, and compete directly with the Model 3 and Volt.

This was as of August 2016, and it's really the last that we've heard of it.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
I've been thinking the exact same thing for a while now. Ford could hit a homerun with an all electric Mustang, provided that it keeps making the iconic V8 version as well of course. Many people freak out when they hear ideas like this because they immediately fear it will replace the V8. Obviously that is never gonna happen, there will always be new petrol V8 Mustangs built until they squeeze the very last drop of oil out of the planet.

But the Mustang platform has never been able to survive on GT sales alone, so there always has been a smaller breathern in the lineup to keep the volume at economically feasible levels. And whether they have been V6's or I4's, they have always been regarded as the lesser and impotent version of the species, so why would it matter if it for the next generation it were a to be a BEV?

Personally I would much rather drive that than a hybrid version of my current EcoBoost. Well developed BEV's are a blast to drive and run circles around any 4banger.

The only reason I drive an Ecoboost by the way is because my country is run by a hippy government that puts a $70.000 tax burden on a GT. I would be the first in line to buy an electric Mustang, collect the state subsidy for buying a BEV and then do a long and smokey burnout in front of the tax office while showing them the middle finger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Only a matter of time before the us follows suit. However by then I won't care for now I will enjoy fossil fuels.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Only a matter of time before the us follows suit. However by then I won't care for now I will enjoy fossil fuels.
Not anytime soon. The US has a totally different infrastructure. The sheer distance between major cities here and the lack of widespread public transportation dictates the type of fuel that is required. Until quick charging is reduced to minutes instead of hours (which isn't going to happen anytime in the near future), we will still be using gasoline.

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Only on new models introduced after 2019. That means that any model that currently exists will still be made with gas combustion engines.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/05/autos/volvo-electric-cars-internal-combustion-engine/index.html

"Volvo said it would launch five fully electric cars between 2019 and 2021. Three of them will carry the Volvo brand, and the other two will come from the company's high-performance unit Polestar.
The rest of Volvo's fleet will consist of either plug-in hybrid cars or mild hybrid cars, which combine a gas engine with a battery.
Starting in 2019, Volvo will only produce cars that have some form of electric motor -- and no cars running purely on an internal combustion engine."

Every car in their fleet will be either electric or hybrid from MY2019 and on. No model will be only combustion after 2019 for Volvo.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
*sigh*...im more concerned that there will no longer be manuals.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Auto-86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 2017 Fusion Sport
http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/05/autos/volvo-electric-cars-internal-combustion-engine/index.html

"Volvo said it would launch five fully electric cars between 2019 and 2021. Three of them will carry the Volvo brand, and the other two will come from the company's high-performance unit Polestar.
The rest of Volvo's fleet will consist of either plug-in hybrid cars or mild hybrid cars, which combine a gas engine with a battery.
Starting in 2019, Volvo will only produce cars that have some form of electric motor -- and no cars running purely on an internal combustion engine."

Every car in their fleet will be either electric or hybrid from MY2019 and on. No model will be only combustion after 2019 for Volvo.
"mild hybrid" ????

http://driving.ca/volvo/auto-news/n...r-electrification-turns-out-to-be-a-mild-jolt

goldviper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2018 Mustang GT 401A PP
This is why I am ordering my 2018 GT 5.0 next week. I am 70 and want my last muscle car. Make in America.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I'm fully expecting an integrated system for the Hybrid Mustang.

Probably a stand alone trim level. Hi Po V6 w/ all the goodies + an electric motor/regeneration. DCT only of course :)

Car will be a like a poor man's i8/NSX, almost around 10 years since those cars introductions. Aka it will be INTENSE , typical Mustang brand giving you a caviar taste for frozen shrimp $$$

But Ford will keep the standard small engine base/V8 GT/V8 supercar hierarchy they are doing now, for the 'purists'.

However I would say in 2023 the concept will take off and Ford will have a hit securing themselves for decades to come.
Sponsored