• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Sadly, many here just want to convince themselves that the sky is falling :headbonk:
Sounds like you haven't lived through the situation where a technology that you would not choose for your own driving went from partial market share to a virtual monopoly. If you had, you might think differently.

Norm
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I don't think some of y'all get it... Smh.

Fossil fuel is the stuff that helps your car run. Fossil fuel is FINITE! That means when you have exhausted your supply, your car no longer worky. When car no longer worky, you get car that does worky. The car that does worky won't be v8. V8 no worky. Electric does worky though.

Short version: v8 no worky when fossil fuel run out. Electric still worky when fossil fuel run out.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Sounds like you haven't lived through the situation where a technology that you would not choose for your own driving went from partial market share to a virtual monopoly. If you had, you might think differently.

Norm
Anyone who has lived over the past 20 years has experienced this, everyone has also experienced an elected official who they didn't vote for, society does not always reflect the needs of every individual but should reflect the needs of the majority of the masses. I think its safe to say that the first Hybrid will not replace the v8 much the same as the first turbo 4 did not replace the v6 out of the gates, we will all vote with our pocket books, if the v8 still reigns supreme the hybrid will fade away, if they both have strong followings we will see both continue, and if the V8 falls out of favor it will fall away. To me the Mustang was designed to be the sports car/pony car for the everyman/woman, as the wants and desires of the everyman/woman change the car should change to reflect that. Affordable, performance, nothing more nothing less.

I think you guys are planning the V8 funeral far too soon.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

Norm

Oh, trust me. I'd much rather every Mustang came with at least a 5 litre V8.....but I also appreciate we are a tiny minority of car buyers and the time's are a changin' and our beloved petrol engines are under attack. So you can either embrace new technologies or.......well, there might not be an alternative.

I'd like to think the Mustang will follow what happened to the, er, horse. When Henry started to mass produce cars, the horse didn't die off. Rather than being used for mere transportation, it's now used as a hobby.....for pleasure.

So, whilst in the future we may all be driving hybrids or EVs to get to work, we'll just enjoy our V8 Mustangs at the weekend.

Will the V8 always be available to purchase new from Ford? No. There will be a day when perhaps it won't. But we are a vocal group and I'm sure Ford will listen to us, and offer us what we want for as long as possible.

Would I buy a hybrid Mustang? Whilst there's a V8 alternative, no I wouldn't. But, if that V8 wasn't available and the alternative was a 3.5 Ecoboost V6 backed up by hybrid power? Absolutely, bring it on.

The Mustang has been in production for nearly 53 years. It has adapted to the environment it finds itself in and will, hopefully, continue to do so as it heads toward the future.

:)

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I believe that with application of hybrid powertrain technology, the soul and essence of the Mustang will be changed forever...my personal opinion.
Respect my opinion and I will respect yours.
Opinions are like a$$holes...everybody has one.

I seems that hybrid/electric power will eventually replace EB technology and we will see the end of V6 and V8 engines and of course manual transmissions
I suspect that the majority of future powertrain R&D development dollars will be primarily allocated for this advanced technology and after the end of S650 production, the next generation will likely offer only hybrid/electric power.

The sky isn't falling, but the alignment of the industry is definitely changing and Ford technology is leading the way.

As hybrid and electric "mobility platforms" eventually take over as transportation vehicles, the "brand" of the platform will become irrelevant as manufacturers vehicles will share variations of a few basic powertrains. The Mustang will still have it's own brand identity, exterior/interior styling and a few limited options, but underneath it will ride on a corporate platform with a corporate powertrain offering the availability of some specific performance upgrades.

If "big" naturally V8s and manual transmissions are your preferred performance car drivetrain...buy your 5.0L Mustang or something else soon.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Opinions are like a$$holes...everybody has one.
Coneheads don't. And they are good folks that like to tear roofs off of Camaros.

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
A TT V6 with electric engine and batteries will be heavy, expensive and complicated. To me it doesn't make sense to have that in a mainstream Mustang, sounds more like a special edition kinda setup.

Wouldn't a T 4Cil + electric engine make more sense for a mainstream Mustang ? That should also bring it around 400-500 HP.

Even if you just look at specs, a TT V6 can easially range from 400-600 HP while a 4 Cil is comfortable for 300-400HP. Replacing a V8 will either require a TT V6 or a T 4Cil with electric engine. That's why I figured a TT V6 + electric engine would only make sense for special editions.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
It depends on what they're trying to do with a hybrid/electric augment Mustang.

If it's supposed to showcase the EcoBoost, ala the FGT and Raptor, then yes I could see it as being expensive and at the top of the heap.

moubayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015

Fossil fuel is the stuff that helps your car run. Fossil fuel is FINITE! That means when you have exhausted your supply, your car no longer worky. When car no longer worky, you get car that does worky. The car that does worky won't be v8. V8 no worky. Electric does worky though.

Short version: v8 no worky when fossil fuel run out. Electric still worky when fossil fuel run out.

Dang it, i no understand! My brain hurty hurty now :lol:
Best explanation ever :cheers:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

There actually are alternatives to fossil fuel that will work just fine in an ICE (ethanol and natural gas are a couple that could last a really long time while used in internal combustion engines - ethanol is even renewable). Those alternative fuels cost more than gasoline produced from oil does.

Current predictions are that oil might run out in 300 years or so. Originally when oil was discovered in the 1800s we thought we had 80 years of total supply. Since that original discovery the prediction of the date we will run out has continued to progress farther into the future because we discover new methods to get at the oil.

The smart thing to do would be to use oil for now and then use the alternatives fuels (still in an Internal Combustion Engine) as the oil starts to run low. If the cost of oil becomes higher than the cost of an alternative fuel for the ICE, then use the alternative in your existing ICE. Don't take a bunch of money out of my pocket to pay for someone else to build or buy an electric or hybrid car now, when it isn't needed. And REALLY don't make a law requiring the electric or hybrid in order to line your pockets and give a bunch of money to big business when there's still 300+ years left of the fossil fuel!!

I'm fine with electric and hybrid cars as long as we are allowed the freedom to choose whether or not to buy them. There should be no silly CAFE or emissions laws that prevent gasoline from being used in cars. There is a place for CAFE and emissions, but those laws should not become more restrictive than they currently are. They should be rolled back to the year 2000 status and left there with no further changes or restrictions.

Last edited:

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Oh, trust me. I'd much rather every Mustang came with at least a 5 litre V8.....but I also appreciate we are a tiny minority of car buyers and the time's are a changin' and our beloved petrol engines are under attack. So you can either embrace new technologies or.......well, there might not be an alternative.

I'd like to think the Mustang will follow what happened to the, er, horse. When Henry started to mass produce cars, the horse didn't die off. Rather than being used for mere transportation, it's now used as a hobby.....for pleasure.

So, whilst in the future we may all be driving hybrids or EVs to get to work, we'll just enjoy our V8 Mustangs at the weekend.

Will the V8 always be available to purchase new from Ford? No. There will be a day when perhaps it won't. But we are a vocal group and I'm sure Ford will listen to us, and offer us what we want for as long as possible.

Would I buy a hybrid Mustang? Whilst there's a V8 alternative, no I wouldn't. But, if that V8 wasn't available and the alternative was a 3.5 Ecoboost V6 backed up by hybrid power? Absolutely, bring it on.

The Mustang has been in production for nearly 53 years. It has adapted to the environment it finds itself in and will, hopefully, continue to do so as it heads toward the future.

:)
I don't think V8 is going anywhere soon if it does we will see 4.0 V8 before V8 dies

mike15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Anyone who has lived over the past 20 years has experienced this, everyone has also experienced an elected official who they didn't vote for, society does not always reflect the needs of every individual but should reflect the needs of the majority of the masses. I think its safe to say that the first Hybrid will not replace the v8 much the same as the first turbo 4 did not replace the v6 out of the gates, we will all vote with our pocket books, if the v8 still reigns supreme the hybrid will fade away, if they both have strong followings we will see both continue, and if the V8 falls out of favor it will fall away. To me the Mustang was designed to be the sports car/pony car for the everyman/woman, as the wants and desires of the everyman/woman change the car should change to reflect that. Affordable, performance, nothing more nothing less.

I think you guys are planning the V8 funeral far too soon.
Amen!
Although I would hate to see the V8 disappear altogether. Would be nice to have numerous drivetrains to choose from.
Even a small displacement V8 (4.0L) with an electric assist would be fine with me. The world is evolving and we can't just sit and hope nothing changes.
But as long as there are enthusiasts, there will always be vehicles tailored to us enthusiasts regardless of tighter and tighter government regulations.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Most cars are getting smaller engines nowadays anyway.
As long as the Mustang remains affordable then I don't see a problem. If they offered a base TTV6 Mustang with 500+hp for the price of what a base GT costs now ($32k), then I'm going for it.
Now if a base TTV6 Mustang goes north of $40k then yes we have a problem.