• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

MT82-D4 manual transmission in 2024 Mustang - should I be worried?

SciaticNervePain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Hello Everyone,

My build for my 2024 Mustang GT is with a manual transmission. I have been going back and forward on this. I am 90% set on wanting it to be manual. It will be my daily driver and I don't plan on doing any type of racing or doing mods to the car. Should I still be worried in regards to all these horror stories I read about how bad the manual transmissions are? It really scares me to spend so much money and think that Ford has not taken proper measures to make sure there are no issues like in the past with its new model.
Sponsored

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Most of it is driver error, if the trans locks you out at 7800 but shift 6800 like butterā€¦ shift 6800.

people canā€™t feel their MT82 and monkey hammer it and then bitch about it.
the trans will 100% let you know what it is and isnā€™t down for.

just cause the engine will rev 8k donā€™t mean youā€™re gonna Force a 2/3 there.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Most of it is driver error, if the trans locks you out at 7800 but shift 6800 like butterā€¦ shift 6800.

just cause the engine will rev 8k donā€™t mean youā€™re gonna Force a 2/3 there.
Bruh the Coyote doesnā€™t even produce peak power until 7000rpm on the Gen IIs

Thatā€™s like buying a performance car and slicing off one of its balls and saying ā€œdriver errorā€

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Also to answer OP as someone that owned the MT82 but not the D4, supposedly the D4 has much better overall shifting qualities and lessened lockout issues (and apparently fewer internal reliability cases reported) than the OG

The only thing that sucks is the gear ratios. You realistically have two and a half gears before jail time and hit top speed in 4th, but if youā€™re tooling around then thatā€™s probably a non issue

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Factory 260 V8 3sp, Caspian Blue
Iā€™d like to drive one before I take delivery of mine. From what Iā€™ve been hearing, you can daily it fine, especially with the later revisions. I do think Iā€™ll put in a Tremec once the warranty stops replacing the MT82

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco
I had a 2020 GT, and I now have a 2022 GT with the Getrag. I certainly would prefer the Tremec, but I havenā€™t experienced any reliability issues with either Getrag that Iā€™ve had. Iā€™ve had the RPM lockout happen a time or two during some spirited driving, but I was pushing it pretty close to the edge so that doesnā€™t bother me too much. If youā€™re going to race the car then maybe the Getrag isnā€™t for you. If youā€™re like me and you just like to have a fun car to drive around town and arenā€™t interested in getting pulled over then I think youā€™ll be happy. It seems like Ford fixed most of the glaring issues (unless Iā€™ve just gotten lucky).

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
The revised D4's aren't too terrible. Supposedly less failure rate than the pre-revisioned MT82s and their shift fork issues. Mine has been fine for me so far, nibbles a bit here and there and sometimes denies 1st, but could be flaws with the remote mount shifter setup or the use of DCT fluid. Rev matching is nice for traffic too.

The only thing I hate is the looooooong ratios it has, but also evens out the 5th to 6th shift vs the older MT82s.

Hopefully someone cracks the PCM, otherwise tuning for Tremecs may need a DH PCM calibration and transmission.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
To be honest, I am very happy with the D4 in my 2020 GT. My only issue is with the ratios are meant to keep the Mustang out of gas guzzler territory. I went with 4.09 gears and you get a similar result as if you had the Tremec as far as the ratios go.

eukoski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang V6
My 2012 6 speed MT82 has 180k on it. Don't laugh at me, but I put a class IV trailer package on it. Pulled a small 8x10 enclosed trailer all over the country. It's been bulletproof. I've treated the car like a rental for a decade, and I'm planning on giving it to my son. It's solid in my opinion.

NegativeMultiplier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Hello Everyone,

My build for my 2024 Mustang GT is with a manual transmission. I have been going back and forward on this. I am 90% set on wanting it to be manual. It will be my daily driver and I don't plan on doing any type of racing or doing mods to the car. Should I still be worried in regards to all these horror stories I read about how bad the manual transmissions are? It really scares me to spend so much money and think that Ford has not taken proper measures to make sure there are no issues like in the past with its new model.
I won't speak for everyone, but from my experience with the S550 the MT82 can be driven the way you're saying you want to without problems.

People have undeniably had issues with them, and I've experienced the 3rd gear lockout myself once or twice. I've also driven it quite hard and it went in just fine. If you're not planning to track the car then you shouldn't ever get to that point.

The Tremec is undeniably better in every regard, but for your use case the MT82 will give you everything you need. (If you do end up changing to the 10R80 though, I personally think you'll still have a lot of fun!)

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium

Bruh the Coyote doesnā€™t even produce peak power until 7000rpm on the Gen IIs

Thatā€™s like buying a performance car and slicing off one of its balls and saying ā€œdriver errorā€
100%

Do not give us an engine that has to spin to 7,000 RPM and beyond before it finally wakes up, and then saddle us with a transmission that can only handle 4,500 RPM shifts. That's the dumbest piece of engineering I've ever seen in my life. Like I have said before, the MT82 zaps every bit of the fun out of this car. I will never buy a MT82 ever again. Ever.

If you want to drive slow, never "race" or "mod" the car, then why buy a Mustang GT?

If you do want to race, mod, or enjoy the speed of the car, then why buy a MT82 that will prevent all of those things?

The A10 should be the only option. It's simple.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K2375
Had an MT82 D4 in my 2019 Bullitt and now have the Tremec in my 2021 Mach 1. Tremec is without a doubt superior.

However, the MT 82 isn't bad. Sure, it is a little vague (think stirring mashed potatoes) but with the available modifications (trans fluid, MGW shifter, Calimer rebuilt etc.), a lot of people really like it.

What maybe bothered me the most was the gear ratios. Really made the car a cruiser, rather than a sports car.

OP
OP
SciaticNervePain

SciaticNervePain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
100%

Do not give us an engine that has to spin to 7,000 RPM and beyond before it finally wakes up, and then saddle us with a transmission that can only handle 4,500 RPM shifts. That's the dumbest piece of engineering I've ever seen in my life. Like I have said before, the MT82 zaps every bit of the fun out of this car. I will never buy a MT82 ever again. Ever.

If you want to drive slow, never "race" or "mod" the car, then why buy a Mustang GT?

If you do want to race, mod, or enjoy the speed of the car, then why buy a MT82 that will prevent all of those things?

The A10 should be the only option. It's simple.
LOL Not saying I won't drive fast but I won't be taking it out to the track or anything like that... I do however plan on enjoying the car and all it's power here and there. I appreciate your input. My last manual car was a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally.. I doubt the Mustang's transmission can be worse than that?

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I ordered the MT82-D4 with the same reservations. I really wanted the Tremec. Like you I won't be racing, but I will want to explore the rev band frequently. I figure if the Getrag poops out after warranty I'll just throw a Tremec in there.
Sponsored