• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I thought this thread might enjoy this recent report from a whole bunch of nerds at Yale.

Basically their findings turn the idea that moving to EVs just changes where carbon emissions come from rather than reducing them and flips it on its head.

I long held the same belief, but their research shows that at every single level of production EVs are by far and a way better for the environment than FFs. Pretty cool stuff!

https://environment.yale.edu/news/a...ide-lower-carbon-emissions-through-additional
About the time I was a teenager I realized that this sort of study just finds whatever the scientists were paid to find. That's why there are contradictory findings all the time. There's definitely big bucks in EV land.
Sponsored

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
About the time I was a teenager I realized that this sort of study just finds whatever the scientists were paid to find. That's why there are contradictory findings all the time. There's definitely big bucks in EV land.
Just because a group of researchers is paid to find or discover something, that doesn't make it untrue. Also, while there are exceptions, most research studies don't start out with researchers designing a study that will only lead to one specific result or findings. It's not, Apple wants us to design a study that proves their products make people happier, instead, it would be something like, tech companies want us to study the effect of tech usage on mental health and report the results. A findings from a rigged study are virtually useless to the companies that commission them. There are exceptions, for instance, groups can cherry pick findings from multiple studies to support their biased position, but that doesn't appear to be the case with the study we're discussing.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Contrary findings can exist for a number of reasons, flawed sampling methods with a small group of individuals, poorly designed test procedures and methods, biased researchers, flawed tools of analysis, etc. The list goes on an on. When dealing with contradicting findings, one should look at which findings are the most frequent, or were performed with the most sound methods. In the case of studying ev environmental impact compared to gas powered vehicles, most studies conclude evs are much better for the environment, especially over a long period of ownership 10-15 years or more.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just because a group of researchers is paid to find or discover something, that doesn't make it untrue. Also, while there are exceptions, most research studies don't start out with researchers designing a study that will only lead to one specific result or findings. It's not, Apple wants us to design a study that proves their products make people happier, instead, it would be something like, tech companies want us to study the effect of tech usage on mental health and report the results. A findings from a rigged study are virtually useless to the companies that commission them. There are exceptions, for instance, groups can cherry pick findings from multiple studies to support their biased position, but that doesn't appear to be the case with the study we're discussing.
I agree with your first point. But the article is useless to me unless I have all the data. I'm not going to believe something I read on the internet unless I can check it.

Findings can be very useful even if rigged. Often the purpose is to sell. And if you can say, "XYZ scientist found that our product is good." that is expected to help sales versus the company saying that they did the research or that one of their employees did - or just making a statement with no "evidence".

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
most research studies don't start out with researchers designing a study that will only lead to one specific result or findings.
you gotta be kidding! You don't get funded if your study doesn't lead to the intended conclusion. It's RIFE in the so-called scientific community. It's so bad the abstract and executive summary will state the approved narrative despite being 100% refuted by the data in the actual paper - typically buried in an appendix and presented in such a way to make it non-trivial to see the utter fraud.

EV just move the pollution around. And threaten multi-million dollar ships at sea whereas gasoline/diesel vehicles post NO such risk. EV use is predicated on stable and plentiful electricity which we do not have and the EU in particular is hellbent on destroying their base-load generating capacity that used to have stable pricing.

If the argument was made for EV at say 30 cents/kwh, how's the ownership experience going to look like when it's $2?

Last edited:

Ruin

Scouts Out!
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.froglevelbrewing.com
Vehicle(s)
15: GT/PP - TY
I agree with your first point. But the article is useless to me unless I have all the data. I'm not going to believe something I read on the internet unless I can check it.
The study was linked in the article. Maybe you overlooked it when you read it… so here it is. I think once you read it you’ll be able to ease your concern about its credibility. It’s a good one.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-27247-y

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
you gotta be kidding! You don't get funded if your study doesn't lead to the intended conclusion. It's RIFE in the so-called scientific community. It's so bad the abstract and executive summary will state the approved narrative despite being 100% refuted by the data in the actual paper - typically buried in an appendix and presented in such a way to make it non-trivial to see the utter fraud.

EV just move the pollution around. And threaten multi-million dollar ships at sea whereas gasoline/diesel vehicles post NO such risk. EV use is predicated on stable and plentiful electricity which we do not have and the EU in particular is hellbent on destroying their base-load generating capacity that used to have stable pricing.

If the argument was made for EV at say 30 cents/kwh, how's the ownership experience going to look like when it's $2?
With all due respect sir, I have a little experience with the advertising/communications field. Looking at studies and research efforts that many brands conduct, they rarely are created to support a predetermined conclusion. If a brand thinks it's brand is great, and knows other people think it's brand is great, then they aren't going to spend thousands of dollars to conduct a study that demonstrates a lot of interviewee's think they're brand is great and leave it at that. That doesn't tell the brand anything useful. Rather, a brand will often give you a pitch along the lines of, we're getting ready to launch a new clothing line. Find out what attributes our dedicated fans like about our products, and what they don't like. Compare these findings to more casual brand consumers and consumers who purchase from our direct and indirect competitors to see how we can appeal to our current buyers, while also stealing buyers from our rivals.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer

Regarding your comments on how evs just move the pollution around, no-one debates this. But what most people are saying is even if the power generated to recharge evs is derived from coal fired powerplants, evs are still generally more environmentally friendly that ICE vehicles. In other words, while they aren't perfect, they're better than the alternative of just doing nothing. Then there's the fact that renewable energy is becoming more popular, giving the evs an expanding environmental advantage. As you stated, we can't switch to purely renewable energy overnight, but the transition is going to happen within the coming decades for sure. I'm not purely opposed to coal power plants, they can be a means of reliable power generation, but they can be improved. I'm not an expert in this field, but I believe the term is sequestion, where carbon emissions produced by coal plants rather than being released into the atmosphere, are mostly captured and stored in underground tanks. From my understanding, this is a safe, and cost-effective way to drastically reduce carbon emissions, and retrofitting existing plants would be much quicker than constructing entirely new ones. Hopefully this tech is applied to most or all coal plants in the future.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
I have a little experience with the advertising/communications field
so the advertising space is far more honest and interested in truth than the sciences. Good for you. Might want to give an ethics and integrity class to those fancy-ass medical and environmental "science" groups.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
so the advertising space is far more honest and interested in truth than the sciences. Good for you. Might want to give an ethics and integrity class to those fancy-ass medical and environmental "science" groups.
Any chance of getting back to Farley and our V8 Mustangs? :giggle:

robaayyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
ummm....

The Tesla model S Plaid is an "enthusiasts" dream, faster than an M5 around the track, and down the 1/4 mile. All without being a "sports car"

Honestly, if you want performance, electric wins over gas every time. That's because your engine throws about 2/3rds of the energy generated by it away as heat. Electrical motors can not only use energy more efficiently, but they can use it to recover that energy as well. Brake fade? Not really. Most of the energy of braking goes back into the battery, or if needed, capacitors. Then that energy can be immediately used to launch you out the other side of that curve.

yes, there are a few drawbacks to EVs, but not in the performance area.
Ummm stop right there George Jetson…
are you well aware that the plaid posted a 7:30sec Nurburgring time?
BMW m5 CS - 7:29
Porsche Panamera Turbo S - 7:25
Mercedes Benz AMG GT-63 S - 7:23
Jaguar SV SE Project 8 - 7:18
All, like the Tesla, sedans. Except here’s what’s funny… none of these cars have even remotely close to 1000hp or 1000 lb-torque like the plaid. And yes the Plaid has been time after time marketed and advertised as a family sports sedan. Otherwise why in sweet baby Jesus’ name would they be putting that much power in a sedan moron.
Don’t even get me started on some of the times for coupes with a measly 4-500hp. Hmmm, I wonder how they did it?
could it be perhaps advanced aerodynamics, better braking capability, better steering, better suspension, better cornering stability, better feedback and predictability etc. etc. ETC.??? Idk it’s seems like such an impossible question to answer jeez I don’t think anybody has the answer to this almighty question.
Enthusiasts choice my a**. Electric is better performing my two cheeks. Brake fade nonsense my apple bottoms, go watch any review on the plaid on YouTube and EVERY SINGLE journalist hates how bad the brakes are on the car.
I can’t with you Tesla fanboys anymore smh.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
When playing or listening to a musical instrument people usually prefer more than one constant note (or whine). Listening to and feeling the rise and fall of the revs through every gear change, and feeling the vibrations of the engine through the seats and steering, make up TWO of the 3 senses we have that contribute to our experience in a vehicle.

Some want a fuss-free drive. Silence and seamless commuting, with massive power under their foot.

It sure is horses for courses, but I'm pleased that some companies will keep giving us that choice. I'm not ready to let go.
Sponsored