• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Check engine light after installing K&N air filter and removing carbon traps.

Jsun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Driving home today and got this. Pulled the traps out and added the K&N drop in filters a couple of weeks ago and haven’t had any problems until today. Temps were high and the light came on during hard acceleration and high speed. Anybody else have this issue ? Anybody know what the dealer is going to say if they see the traps removed ?

S650 Mustang Check engine light after installing K&N air filter and removing carbon traps. IMG_5879
Sponsored

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Looks like your A/F mixture is off, which could make sense removing the traps and adding less restrictive cone filters. Would think the PCM would adjust, but maybe not.

S650 Mustang Check engine light after installing K&N air filter and removing carbon traps. 1713404431183-q

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Check for loose or disconnected wires/cables.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Check for loose or disconnected wires/cables.
Also backwards maf? Or seals. Some emission tests take 50 or so miles before completed, if you disconnected your battery when you did the install.

Lightningwings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Did the K&N air filter instructions tell you to remove the carbon traps? If so, reach out to K&N Support and let them know your issue. They should help you resolve it.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
Did you get this figured out?

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
Most likely too much oil on them.
A lot of the time they do from the factory (K&N). I usually wrap the brand new filters with a shop rag on the outside of the filter for a little while before installing to soak up the extra oil when they are new/freshly oiled.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-3219-ford-mustang-gt-dark-horse-high-flow-air-filters-pair

Above is one option. The price, $149.00, is for a pair (2). The filters are non-oil and washable.

Air Raid's site does not list a S650 filter. Ford Performance does not list am S650 filter. They've partnered past and created an S550 non-oil and washable filter. I'd think they will for the S650. An e-mail to either business might get some feedback on development schedules.

The one they produced for the S550 is a good weight, well-constructed and uses a cotton gauze media.

Last edited:

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150

• Driving home today and got this. Pulled the traps out and added the K&N drop in filters a couple of weeks ago and haven’t had any problems until today. Temps were high and the light came on during hard acceleration and high speed. Anybody else have this issue ? Anybody know what the dealer is going to say if they see the traps removed ?

IMG_5879.png
    I guess to me the question is: what exactly were you trying to remedy or accomplish by removing the carbon traps and adding an oiled air filter. Have other modifications been made?

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Yes. I pulled everything out and cleaned it and the light went out. I looks like the K&N's don't do a great job of of keeping small particles out. Looking for alternatives.
Recommend Steeda Blue Air Filter which may filter more particles than K&N filters.
Sponsored