• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Pulling carbon traps

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The DH has the traps as well, so pulling them could net a gain there, the DH is still going to make more power.

I wouldn't expect as large of a gain pulling the carbon traps on a dual intake as say the 22-23 Mach 1s, as having 2 vs 1 was already less restrictive. I saw someone do a before and after dyno on a 24 GT pulling them and showed no noticeable improvement, hopefully we see more comparisons coming up.
The reality for the S650 is no different than the S550. Pulling the traps will do nothing for driving on the street. That has been shown over and over. But if you think otherwise and want to ā€œstick it to the manā€ go for it. Youā€™re not going to hurt anything and it will give you something to talk about.
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
The reality for the S650 is no different than the S550. Pulling the traps will do nothing for driving on the street. That has been shown over and over. But if you think otherwise and want to ā€œstick it to the manā€ go for it. Youā€™re not going to hurt anything and it will give you something to talk about.
How much does it cost? I mean penny pinchers would pop a gasket if they paid for something that does nothing (not to mention the pinheads in finance). Not trying to be a butt, I got one donā€™t need to be one. Just wondering the true purpose of the part? Sound? Velocity dynamics? Something for us throw away? I donā€™t see it working as a carbon trap nor as a catalyst. So what is it supposed to do?

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
I don't have FB. Deleted it 10 years ago and never looked back.

How much pollution are we really talking about anyway? A few vapors after the engine shuts off? I'm sure there is more released when I gas up my car anyway. I will still sleep at night.
same here, got rid of my FB and have been happier ever since. the idea with the hydrocarbon traps is they prevent fuel vapor from leaving the intake, which sounds good in idea until you realize that that would require there to be fuel in the cylinder while the intake valves are open and the throttle body plates are open, then it quickly becomes nonsense. that's not mentioning how the air filter covers are snap-closed and just how little vapor would actually leave

Pyroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
I saw one guy on FB that pulled them and the car started making weird sounds and started knocking. I'm interested to see if more people do this. I think I will sit back and see what happens before I pull mine.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
People still use Facebook? The land of fake news and false propaganda? Yikes.

Should be good. šŸæ

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
So, a 18whp gain from removing the carbon traps?

This operation needs to be 100% vetted. Seems off the cuff to be pretty beneficial.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I highly doubt they're picking up 1 second in the 1/4 mile but a decent 10-15 wHP increase does seem plausible. Looking forward to additional testing and validation!

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I was scratching my head with this thread and I couldn't figure out what a carbon trap was. Playing around with google I ran across hydrocarbon trap and discovered what a useless piece of junk this really is. I think it was probably conceive by a bunch of people at the EPA who kept multiplying small numbers together until they got one really large impressive number.
If an air filter fails, you probably need to replace the trap. These traps are probably one of the reasons Ford switched to two intakes. Couldn't get enough air through one trap to generate horsepower and maintain a clean burn. If it is really important, there has to be another way. Perhaps a bypass that opens when the engine is running. Maybe a purge pump that ventilates the engine for a minutes after shut down. Granted, blocking the only escape is fail proof but at what price. As those traps get older, they will need to be replaced as the air filters are not 100% effective. The little that gets through the filter will eventually restrict the airflow through the trap.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Looking down the mouth of the trap filter, is almost like having to breath through yet another air filter.

Gen3s picked up a minimum of 10HP, confirmed on the dyno. Some have advertised making 18-20 HP. Throw in a high-flow air filter for another 1-2 HP.

People who've done it say throttle response was better for sure. Normal turned into Sport+. Sport+ turned into Sport ++. Not that I would know about those sorts of things. :bandit:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1

This operation needs to be 100% vetted. Seems off the cuff to be pretty beneficial.

The one video shows it went from 421 to 431.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
People who've done it say throttle response was better for sure. Normal turned into Sport+. Sport+ turned into Sport ++. ...
i can back this up, i removed the hydrocarbon filter from my M1 and had noticeably more intake noise and sharper throttle response. sure, it could've also been placebo, but there's no downside to doing it
Sponsored