• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Are we really using 87 fuel?

SoggyBottomBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I find that hard to believe. My 21 challenger manual stated the car needed to use plus rated fuel at the minimum, but the 24 GT manual states regular unleaded is recommended? Anyone able to explain the logic behind that?

*EDIT* Misread the manual, says minimum 87 but premium recommended. My challenger was still minimum 91 which is why I was surprised
Sponsored

Last edited:

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
The logic is, is that your Mustang can drive on 87 perfectly with no issues.
It will have a little bit less power, but for people like me, I will not notice that small difference.
Ofcourse, the higher the octane number, the better it is for your vehicle.
Prices here are 2.45 Euro a liter, that's the same as 10 USD a Gallon and that plays a role also to use the standard octane.

RealEvan125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I find that hard to believe. My 21 challenger manual stated the car needed to use plus rated fuel at the minimum, but the 24 GT manual states regular unleaded is recommended? Anyone able to explain the logic behind that?
I mean my 2021 GT says I can put any octane 😂

Adeel3466

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT NP/PP
S650 Mustang Are we really using 87 fuel? IMG_1905

From the owners manual 87 is the minimum octane but 91 or higher is recommended

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
The general assumption amongst Mustang owners is that the car has proven to operate just fine with regular fuel, but for optimal performance and better maintenance of the powertrain, using Premium fuel is recommended.

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Can you quote where it says regular unleaded is recommended?

This is taken from the 2024 owner's manual:

"For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended."

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
My wife’s Edge say to use 91 octane for peak performance, but 87 is fine. The computer in the car is smart enough to know what octane fuel you have because it had knock sensors in the block that retard timing when you use lower octane fuel.

FlyNavy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Gold Camry
Engineering Explained did a good video on this. On a mustang GT it was like a 3% improvement in power and mpg if I recall correctly.

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
Does anyone know what octane the dealerships typically fill the car up with? My car was filled full upon delivery but I was thinking about topping off with 93 at some point.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
Does anyone know what octane the dealerships typically fill the car up with? My car was filled full upon delivery but I was thinking about topping off with 93 at some point.
You would have to ask the dealer but my guess would be 87 octane. Dealers have tanks they use to fill their rolling stock like deliver trucks and demonstrators and at the current price of fuel, it's unlikely they are going to burn 93 octane when it's of little benefit to what they normally use the fuel in. I would suggest if you really want a tank of 93 octane and can find it where you live, burn as much of the current tank before you refill it. Besides that, gas doesn't have a really long life so it's better to lower the tank as much as possible before adding fresh fuel.

Jivor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
This just goes to show how much the PCM can adapt the tuning depending on fuel type.

It wasn't that long ago that it would be suicide to run a 12:1 compression engine on 87 octane regular fuel.

It makes you wonder if it is also able to adapt to higher octane fuels to produce higher horsepower?
Sponsored