• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

7G S650 GT350 ?

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
What are people's thoughts on another GT350? Do you think Ford will release another one, especially now that the DH mostly occupies that space?

If so, will the new 5.4 that Ford is fielding in IMSA possibly be the powerplant?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My thoughts are that I absolutely loved my GT350 and I still want another one. I think it would be terrific if Ford would do an S650 version. I would be fine if they called it Boss as well. Especially if it was a Boss 351.

5.4 liters would be preferable to anything smaller, that's for sure. If the engine made about 600 hp in street trim like the IMSA version does I'm a buyer (assuming I can scrape the money together). My biggest worry is that with such huge price increases in the regular Mustang that the halo model will be unaffordable - especially if Ford does what they always do and only build a small number rather than allowing for anyone to order the car. If that's the case, I'm not going to pay ADM or spend a bunch of time trying to call around. I just won't be a buyer.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Just cared about the experience. 526hp is fine. 5.2L is fine. 8250rpm is perfect, anything extra would be a cherry on top. The exhaust is perfect. The induction is perfect. The harmony of controls is perfect. The reliability is hot steamy dog water trashola.

The dual intake setup on the Gen 4 immediately makes the concept of a FPC make ten times more sense. The single intake setup in the Voodoo, in combination with the unorthodox firing order—among other things—made it an NVH rattletrap nightmare. I think pretty much every other modern FPC V8 has dual intakes

It’s also why I think we might actually see another FPC

Regardless, I equate that motor in symbolism and character to the S65 V8 and S85 V10 in the bangle era M cars. Not the most powerful mills, but truly bespoke, amazing sounding screamers. Sure their newer engines are more efficient, have more torque, better reliability, and more tuning potential, but they’re nowhere near as sexy or satisfying

When you think of Mustangs, they’ve never been the fastest things for the money (up there as of late, but still short of others be it straight line or track numbers), but they sound fucking amazing. The voodoo epitomized that philosophy; driving satisfaction over outright speed

I can’t find myself willing to spend extra money on a limited car with an engine that’s hardly bespoke, eg. DH. Also why I find the Mach just “okay”

So yeah if Ford builds another ripper of a unit and slaps it in a track capable Mustang I will automatically buy it no questions asked

Couldn’t give two shits if it was any faster tbh

Last edited:

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Just cared about the experience. 526hp is fine. 5.2L is fine. 8250rpm is perfect, anything extra would be a cherry on top. The exhaust is perfect. The induction is perfect. The harmony of controls is perfect. The reliability is hot steamy dog water trashola.

The dual intake setup on the Gen 4 immediately makes the concept of a FPC make ten times more sense. The single intake setup in the Voodoo, in combination with the unorthodox firing order—among other things—made it an NVH rattletrap nightmare. I think pretty much every other modern FPC V8 has dual intakes

Regardless, I equate that motor in symbolism and character to the S65 V8 and S85 V10 in the bangle era M cars. Not the most powerful mills, but truly bespoke, amazing sounding screamers. Sure their newer engines are more efficient, have more torque, better reliability, and more tuning potential, but they’re nowhere near as sexy or satisfying

When you think of Mustangs, they’ve never been the fastest things for the money (up there as of late, but still short of others be it straight line or track numbers), but they sound fucking amazing. The voodoo epitomized that philosophy; driving satisfaction over outright speed

I can’t find myself willing to spend extra money on a limited car with an engine that’s hardly bespoke, eg. DH. Also why I find the Mach just “okay”

So yeah if Ford builds another ripper of a unit and slaps it in a track capable Mustang I will automatically buy it no questions asked

That's the point. The GT350 was way above the Mach 1, Bullitt or DH. Flatplane V8 with 5.2L is something special, Shelby name included. 5.0L with minor upgrades is not... The only thing special is the inflational price... GT350 for 65K is and was a steal. DH for 65K+ is not, nothing special about that car... Same engine, same interior...

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
What are people's thoughts on another GT350? Do you think Ford will release another one, especially now that the DH mostly occupies that space?

If so, will the new 5.4 that Ford is fielding in IMSA possibly be the powerplant?
I think it's extremely likely that the 5.4 will indeed be used as the basis for s650 "Shelby" models. That engine pumps out over 600 hp, which would be a considerable improvement over the dark horse and gt350. I believe that engine is also coyote based, so fingers crossed, it's reliable, unlike the voodoo.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer

Imagine a flat plane 5.4 making over 600 hp with reliability on par with the coyote đŸ€Ż.

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14' Honda Civic EX; 14' Honda VFR800 DLX
If Ford just accidentally installed some Aluminator 52XS's into the next "named" car, I wouldn't complain..

Hell, I'd still like to see an all aluminum 7.3 stuffed into a Mustang, too.

Mentioning some of the classic NA masterpieces makes my heart hurt. Add the Audi 4.2 V8 to that list. The first time I experienced that was in an R8 (complete with the gated 6-speed). That drivetrain ruined me for a long time... The flywheel felt like it weighed less than air, lol.

Honda's K20 and F20 are a few others close to my heart, that are just...chef's kiss.

Could be the edibles...could be the fact it's late at night...but damn am I happy that we still have some high performance NA engines for sale. The writing is on the wall my friends!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I certainly hope Ford offer us a halo model above the Dark Horse.

Me? Give me a Boss 329 with the 5.4 cross plane crank, perhaps mated to an updated (8-speed?) DCT.

Whilst I admire the GT350 and it's FPC, I actually prefer the sound of a cross plane crank.......although the GT350's sounds MUCH better than an Euro FPC V8.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think it's extremely likely that the 5.4 will indeed be used as the basis for s650 "Shelby" models. That engine pumps out over 600 hp, which would be a considerable improvement over the dark horse and gt350. I believe that engine is also coyote based, so fingers crossed, it's reliable, unlike the voodoo.
The Voodoo is plenty reliable. And as a plus it isn't nearly as boring as the Coyote.

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 GT350 #028 & #383

Couldn’t give two shits if it was any faster tb

"NVH rattletrap nightmare" - no different than any of the Chevy (L88)/Ford (New and older) OHV high performance muscle cars I currently own.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The coyote is not boring. It may look boring compared to the voodoo, but it is not boring
The Coyote is as boring as the Voodoo is unreliable.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
I know of 3 5.2s personally that needed engines replaced
 cars were barely beaten and not modded.

if I were serious about buying a gt350 , rods and pistons would be mod number 1.

they are proven awesome though ala fathouse after you build them

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Let’s start this from the top ford had alot of issues in development of the gt350, i was a regular on Svt performance And we heard all the horror stories which ended up being true. Ford wanted to lower the hood line by 40mms which resulted in them being unable to use a traditional twin throttle body setup. So they had to change the firing order which also meant they had to add more weight to the crankshaft which resulted in a pathetic 5 pound weight reduction. Which really isn’t that impressive when a 458s crankshaft is 38 pounds vs 50 for the gt350.
But what really kills these engines long term is the NVH issues and that’s because with this new firing order, it has terrible primary and secondary balances. Which means it’s a rocking couple, the engine basically wants to rotate on itself. This is something you really can’t just engineer out, which is why they have such an odd reliability reputation. I also feel like having them hand built probably didn’t help because it was a wild swing between them when it came to build quality. I know this because 3 of the early 2016 cars my buddies bought all had to have new engines with one getting bought back. It was a wild time to be on the forums let me tell ya

so for this generation i would be very surprised if FORD doesn’t do a next gen flat crank V8 because they fundamentally fixed the big problem with the GT350 which was the compromised firing order
Sponsored