• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

3.15 or 3.55 for my GT Daily Driver? 3.55 Worth the upcharge?

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
thays peobsbly the only way to sell you on it.
Go to your dealer. Test drive a 3.15 and then a 3.55 and be sure to get on the throttle. My bet is you’ll never give the 3.15s a thought again.
Wow so there's really that much of a difference with the 10A? Is there any sort of jerkiness at low speeds with the 3.55's? Just normal non spirited driving and pulling away from a stop light for instance would to shifts, etc be buttery smooth with a 10A with 3.55's?
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Wow so there's really that much of a difference with the 10A? Is there any sort of jerkiness at low speeds with the 3.55's? Just normal non spirited driving and pulling away from a stop light for instance would to shifts, etc be buttery smooth with a 10A with 3.55's?
I’ll leave you with this: if you option the 10 speed auto on the dark horse, you get the 3.55s. nobody complaining about the possibilities you mention.

a faster final drive isn’t going to magically mess things up. It will however, make your car quicker and more fun to drive on the daily.

Again, the best thing for you would be to invest the time at your dealership in testing a car with the 3.55s to compare. I’m thinking you’ll enjoy it more. The 3.15s might be a smidge better for CAFE standards, but not so good for the actual driver. Especially if you’re going to live in the thing (commute, etc.)

Last edited:

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
Curious if you have any experience with 3.55's? Did you test drive a 3.55 24 GT before deciding on your 3.15? Honestly I'm still on the fence about what to do. I think I need to track down a 24 with 3.55's and compare it to one with 3.15's.
No 24's were not out yet when I ordered. The way I looked at it, last Mustang GT I owned was a 1988 GT 5 speed, 225HP, I believe had 3.08's. The 24 was going to be light years from that, a totally different pony, so I knew I would not be disappointed as far as torque or power. If anything it will help me get a few extra miles out of the rear tires 😁

Seriously though, it sounds like you're trying to justify not adding 3.55's, those scenarios most likely end in regret. For less than a $1K upgrade would be better than regret. IMHO

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
The A10 is very smooth with the 3.55. I doubt there is any difference in how smooth it is between the 3.15 and 3.55.

FroYo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have 3.55 with A10, and it is smooth af. Price for 3.55 is not huge better to take one, or as part of PP. MPG will be less only on cruising, due to higher rpm on 55-65+ mph and that's it. City driving you may never find any difference in mpg. imo

Last edited:

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I’ve driven both and can tell you that you won’t tell a difference. If you think you might want to change the rear diff which 99.9% of car owners never do then go with the 3.55. Otherwise the 3.15 is fine. And having the heavier convertible with a 3.15 I have no problems accelerating faster than 98% of cars and trucks I’ve come across. And your quarter mile time is negligible between those two gear ratios.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Hey look at that [3.15] vs where’d it go [3.73]. 3.55 is closer to which?

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I’ve driven both and can tell you that you won’t tell a difference. If you think you might want to change the rear diff which 99.9% of car owners never do then go with the 3.55. Otherwise the 3.15 is fine. And having the heavier convertible with a 3.15 I have no problems accelerating faster than 98% of cars and trucks I’ve come across. And your quarter mile time is negligible between those two gear ratios.
You seem to be the odd man out in that most of the replies I've gotten have said you can tell the difference with the 3.15's and the 3.55's especially if driven back to back. I'm not saying your wrong or the others are right as maybe you both are, lol. By that I mean everyone perceives things differently so who really knows.

Honestly I'm coming from a V8 powered leisure car that I just looked up and it has a 4 speed trans with a 2.73 rear end. Yeah it's pretty poky around town especially when it tips the scales at a little over 4000 lbs:) Needless to say the GT will be a huge upgrade for me in any flavor or form.

I hope to get behind the wheel of a GT with the 3.55's next week and hopefully drive it back to back with a 3.15 car to figure this madness out once and for all:)

Reactions: Zig

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I changed to the 3.55 mid order from the 3.15. Glad I did.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

This is the ODD man out!

It is a pretty obvious difference in 3.15 and 3.55. If you can't feel the difference in it, you really don't have a good feeling for the car or understand the difference in gearing. If you are driving super slow around town u will never know the difference.

And 3.15 is probably the most upgraded gear set that Mustang owners do upgrade.

And if your car is faster than 98% of the cars where you live, there must be a lot of slow cars there. LOL

You seem to be the odd man out in that most of the replies I've gotten have said you can tell the difference with the 3.15's and the 3.55's especially if driven back to back. I'm not saying your wrong or the others are right as maybe you both are, lol. By that I mean everyone perceives things differently so who really knows.

Honestly I'm coming from a V8 powered leisure car that I just looked up and it has a 4 speed trans with a 2.73 rear end. Yeah it's pretty poky around town especially when it tips the scales at a little over 4000 lbs:) Needless to say the GT will be a huge upgrade for me in any flavor or form.

I hope to get behind the wheel of a GT with the 3.55's next week and hopefully drive it back to back with a 3.15 car to figure this madness out once and for all:)

The only true way since you won't take advice given is to go try it out for yourself.

One thing that might be fact is I bet no one regrets getting 3.55's!

jamespmoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2020 Explorer ST, 2004 Thunderbird
Just going over my build again as I just added Active Exhaust to it. Currently I have the standard 3.15 gears on the order sheet. I will be using this as a daily driver here in Suburbia with the occasional freeway trip sprinkled in. My question is whether it's worth it to upgrade to the 3.55 gears for my use case? I've read some posts that the GT w/ 3.15 can feel sluggish around town (which I find hard to believe buy maybe)? What are the pros and cons for going with the 3.55 gears for my use case? Will I notice much better normal acceleration around town? Will my fuel economy suffer (city and or highway)?

Honestly I'm not really versed in gear ratios to not sure if it's worth the price of admission for my use case or not? I believe the MPG indicated on the window stickers for both the 3.15 and the 3.55 are both 15 city and 24 highway but I swear I saw one with a sticker for the 3.55 that said 16 city but I may be mistaken?

Also my build is for the 10A

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)
I went with the 3.55 in my 24 convertible. Slightly heavier than the coupe. Wanted the better acceleration. Turns 2200rpm @ 79mph. I have my cruise set for +9.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I changed to the 3.55 mid order from the 3.15. Glad I did.
Did you drive both 3.15's and 3.55's and then decide to change your order? I'm leaning towards switching my order to 3.55's but hopefully I can test one out of Monday to compare before making my final decision.

The results seem pretty obvious that over 9 out of 10 Mustang drivers prefer 3.55's over 3.15's :)

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Did you drive both 3.15's and 3.55's and then decide to change your order? I'm leaning towards switching my order to 3.55's but hopefully I can test one out of Monday to compare before making my final decision.

The results seem pretty obvious that over 9 out of 10 Mustang drivers prefer 3.55's over 3.15's :)
Yea, in all honesty, your best bet is to go to the dealership and test drive both and see which you prefer. Only you will know which one you'll like.

Perfect example. I love my manual but do wish I had driven an automatic (I probably would have still gotten a manual since I've driven manuals daily for 3/4 of my life) just to ensure I was making the right decision. I did know though if I was getting a manual, I wanted the 3.73 rear axle. No doubts there 😂

rubbertoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
How do I find out what the gear number is on my 24 base model manual shift gt? I don't see it listed on my window sticker but the city mpg is said to be 14 mpg.
Sponsored