• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

3.15 or 3.55 for my GT Daily Driver? 3.55 Worth the upcharge?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
How do I find out what the gear number is on my 24 base model manual shift gt? I don't see it listed on my window sticker but the city mpg is said to be 14 mpg.
I think the base manual gets the 3.55 by default
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you look at 3.15, you will look at 3.55 but sometimes it will be 3.73. So you have to say which is which before the time.
Close but a little shy.
3.55 (6) = 3.15 (10)?
3.55 (10) = 3.73 (6)?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
This is the ODD man out!

It is a pretty obvious difference in 3.15 and 3.55. If you can't feel the difference in it, you really don't have a good feeling for the car or understand the difference in gearing. If you are driving super slow around town u will never know the difference.

And 3.15 is probably the most upgraded gear set that Mustang owners do upgrade.

And if your car is faster than 98% of the cars where you live, there must be a lot of slow cars there. LOL

The only true way since you won't take advice given is to go try it out for yourself.

One thing that might be fact is I bet no one regrets getting 3.55's!
I live in Florida so I have plenty of cars around me that easily push 500hp and Iā€™m willing to bet Iā€™ve made more trips down a strip than you ever will in your life. I know how cars feel and Iā€™m telling you around town there is negligible difference in both cars. Most people are going off gut feeling instead of facts. Iā€™ve lined my car up against other ā€˜24 gts and Iā€™m right there with everyone of them. You are the one that probably gets a cold air intake and a k&n filter and says you can tell the difference. Or going off gear ratios you automatically assume that the higher the gear the quicker it makes a car and itā€™s not always the case. First gen ecoboost f150ā€™s with the 3.55 gears were quicker than the 3.73 geared trucks by a few tenths. Shouldnā€™t be but they were with all things being equal.

To the OP, best is to go to your dealer and drive a few gts without looking at the options and then decide which car feels best for you. Then look at what the options are on those cars. Too many people know what they see on the options and then say this does feel quicker or smoother based off what they know because thatā€™s what they think. Most people arenā€™t going to be able to tell the difference especially in a 10 speed auto. 6 manual maybe and old school 3 and 4 speed much more so.

Last edited:

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
With the 10 speed auto, it probably doesn't make much difference which rear end you go with. If you do drag strip starts, go with the 3.55. If you spend a fair amount of time at freeway speeds, go with the 3.15 as it will give you a bit better milage. If I could have, I would have gone with something lower than the 3.73 that I have for milage reasons and the engine turns a bit slower resulting in less wear.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I live in Florida so I have plenty of cars around me that easily push 500hp and Iā€™m willing to bet Iā€™ve made more trips down a strip than you ever will in your life. I know how cars feel and Iā€™m telling you around town there is negligible difference in both cars. Most people are going off gut feeling instead of facts. Iā€™ve lined my car up against other ā€˜24 gts and Iā€™m right there with everyone of them. You are the one that probably gets a cold air intake and a k&n filter and says you can tell the difference. Or going off gear ratios you automatically assume that the higher the gear the quicker it makes a car and itā€™s not always the case. First gen ecoboost f150ā€™s with the 3.55 gears were quicker than the 3.73 geared trucks by a few tenths. Shouldnā€™t be but they were with all things being equal.

To the OP, best is to go to your dealer and drive a few gts without looking at the options and then decide which car feels best for you. Then look at what the options are on those cars. Too many people know what they see on the options and then say this does feel quicker or smoother based off what they know because thatā€™s what they think. Most people arenā€™t going to be able to tell the difference especially in a 10 speed auto. 6 manual maybe and old school 3 and 4 speed much more so.

And this is why you are the odd man out cause 99% of the people here have said the same thing.
I have driven both in the 2024, both previous years. So yes knowing how gearing works and driven both cars I stand with what I said.

But yes as I said if you drive like an old man/normal person you will not see or feel a difference. But if you are a spirited driver you will.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Itā€™s hilarious that this is an actual debate.

ask yourself why Ford offers these options.

itā€™s the following: higher number = more acceleration. Lower number = more economy. Has zero to do with transmission smoothness or anything else. Itā€™s all about maximizing performance orā€¦ not.

why anyone with a GT would want 3.15 final drive is a mystery to me, but apparently the OP is in a quandary. Iā€™d think you buy a performance car for performance. Otherwise go with an ecoboost or something. But everyone has their own ideas and thatā€™s why options are great.

but facts are stubborn things. Math and physics are whatā€™s at play here. 3.55s are going to propel you forward faster. Thatā€™s just the way it is. I guess the only con is that youā€™ll be cruising on the highway at a bit higher rpm. With the 3.15s however, you do paint yourself into an upgrade corner. Youā€™re kind of stuck with those. If you want to change in the future, itā€™s going to get expensive. Also, in terms of resale, most buyers will not want the 3.15s. But most people wonā€™t even ask about that

all the talk about how much you feel it is subjective. Some people are more sensitive to subtle sounds than others, yet others pick up on subtle visual differences when their peers donā€™t, etc. I definitely can tell the difference. Itā€™s not like all of a sudden having a supercharger launch, but itā€™s noticeable.

But the facts remain. 3.55 is the higher performance option.

ultimately itā€™s all about personal value. If performance and the possibility of an easier gearing mod appeals to you, get the 3.55. If a bit more leisurely cruise rpm is more appealing, get the 3.15.

itā€™s all about what you want. Ive a feeling the OP was strongly leaning to 3.15s. Hopefully the thread opened up the horizon a bit so that he can make a decision heā€™s at peace with long after purchase. Thatā€™s what matters.

As an addendum, gear selection will vary by track if youā€™re into that. Short runs with turns, long stretches, etc., will factor into speeds as the transmisdion ratios couple with final drive will hurt or help depending on the specific track. But this is about city driving vs highway driving per the OPs parameters.

heres a great article by Jegs:

https://www.jegs.com/tech-articles/gear-ratio-explained-charts-formulas-resources/

Last edited:

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP

A lot of people are fed by placebo effects and I no problems with that. People that say they can tell the difference with an K&N filter and stuff like that.

When you give them 20 cars where 2 have the filter installed and 17 not, I bet they can't tell you wich one when driving them, but hey, these people will never tell you in all fairness that they just go with their feelings instead of going with facts.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
With the MT-82, I would love to run 4.09s in this 24 GT. Will definitely be a future plan.
Totally changes the feel of the car.

Phoneman1223

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So when you say the 3.55's will have harder launches does that mean only when your really ripping on it? If I'm just taking of normally from a stop will the 3.55's feel the same (nice and smooth) as the 3.15's? I mean I shouldn't notice any jerkiness or anything similar when driving normally with the 3.55's just faster smooth acceleration correct?

You also mention I'll see better mpg's with the 3.15's compared to the 3.55's but honestly it shouldn't be much different at all would it? I mean the GT's with both gears are rated the same for city and highway mpg's.

As far as your take on the best bang for the buck for a daily driver I guess I'm 50% there thus car. I have the 301A pkg and just recently added active exhaust to my build. I'm still debating on the 3.55's - thus all the questions. As far as the brembo's are you talking about upgrading to the 19" brembo system w/performance linings or as I understand it the GT's already come with brembos in the front correct?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to educate myself so I can make the best decision on this GT as I would like to keep it 10+ years:)
The non PP Brembo are 4 pistons on base. The PP brakes are 6 piston front and finally 4 piston rears. When ordering the upgraded Brembo brake package on base GT youā€™ll get the same brakes from PP cars. The Performance Pack gives you the best of both worlds, upgraded Brembo and Torsen differential. For a daily car the 3.55/3.73 gears will definitely give a little more down low torque feel at lower rpm driving.
Sponsored