• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

“Next Gen” Mustang Will be Electric (EV) Only Claims Autoline

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you missed my point.
Batteries my not be able power those professions vehicles yet but every single one of them depends on batteries to start the engines they do have not to mention peripheral devices like emergency radios and GPS.
My point was batteries are everywhere and we become more dependent on them every year.
But none of this is new, or being used to replace existing technology. Saying, "everything uses batteries" is just a truism. You may as well say, "every profession relies on computers". Yes, for the last 30+ years. Or how about, "every professional requires oxygen to do their job". But unless we start hiring fish to fill job positions, that would be pointless to say. What I'm getting at here is that EV's are basically fish.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I think you missed my point.
Batteries my not be able power those professions vehicles yet but every single one of them depends on batteries to start the engines they do have not to mention peripheral devices like emergency radios and GPS.
My point was batteries are everywhere and we become more dependent on them every year.
Huh?

Even my flashlight doesn't use batteries:

S650 Mustang “Next Gen” Mustang Will be Electric (EV) Only Claims Autoline 1612902673651

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
EVs being mandated makes sense for commuter vehicles and public transport like cabs/Ubers/Lyft/etc. I can understand BEVs for certain enthusiasts niches (hypercars), but not so much for the class of vehicle Mustangs are.

I don't hate the Mach E and feel the over the top hatred for it is unwarranted (on its own), but do have concerns it can trickle down to and affect the future of the ICE Mustang.

The character of the V8 Mustang is a unique one which should remain and not be tossed aside in favor of recorded noises.

Although we have an idea of when the 8th generation Mustang will launch, it still isn't concrete yet, still dependent on the whims of execs in charge. Final decision making on powertrains will probably take place in the mid-2020s, so we have a few years for them to hear our concerns.

Back in 1987, somehow you all managed to prevent a literal Fusion coupe ancestor in the Probe becoming the next Mustang. We'll see where the current administration and Ford's product planning takes us.

I am hoping loopholes can be made for certain category of vehicle going forward (enthusiast vehicles). As in sport coupes or performance cars of legacy, are allowed to be ICE, while commuter stuff like compact/midsize sedans and crossovers are required to be more compliant.

I get them ditching ICE V8s for AMG and whatnot, because the MB S-Class and SL roadster were not always defined by their soul stirring V8s, like the Mustang has always. Hell, the next C63 AMG is going turbo I4 hybrid. The original high performance 190E Benz compacts were mostly 4 cylinder anyway in the 80s.

They went V8 in the 1990s and 2000s with C43/C55/C63 AMGs, to win over American buyers. The V8 party is now over for the Germans, but for the Mustang, V8 has always been there essentially. It wasn't an added gimmick to beat BMW.

In conclusion, my perspective is about the character of the vehicle. Since 1964, the Mustang has been known for certain type of V8 roar when you floor it. As much as I hate unsolicited noise in the quiet of my living room, I can always know when a 5.0, 4.6, Triton, Coyote, Trinity, a Boss, or Predator is passing by.

That is what draws folks to the car, but in order to make it more obtainable and broaden appeal with some younger guys in regions of N Amer. and worldwide, Ecoboost is offered. A Mustang without a V8 option, really isn't a Mustang.

It's just another Ford car. Just because I feel this way, doesn't mean I outright hate electric vehicles nor does anyone else in this thread.

Last edited:

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assume the section you're referring to in my post/comment/quote was this: " seems somewhat strange that they'd run the same generation (despite a refresh) for another 7 years "

I said that it would be weird that they would continue with the current gen and light refresh until 2028, considering some of the job postings and supplier info they listed showing S650, so yea, I'm not really believing that 7yr run on top of current model until we see a new redesign.

But, time will tell. Honestly, I don't really care. I got my Bullitt year ago, so I'm not going to be in the market for another 5 years at least if at all, so we'll see what the refreshes/redesigns are...
Yeah, that was my perspective. As usual, dumb news media not thinking through what they're reporting and contradicting themselves.

If not for IRS and 50th anniversary, the 2015 S550 would have been described the same way as S650 sounds. 2005-2028 all share something with each other, just as 1979-2004 did.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'm getting somewhat impatient waiting for the first camo'd S650 prototypes to be spied. Once we see those, we can put the "next-gen won't come until 2028+" rumors to bed. Hopefully!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Serious effort is already being thrown at EVs for the trucking industry.

Meritor to begin commercial truck electric powertrain production (fleetequipmentmag.com)

Norm
Great, how far can they go between charges, and how long does it take to charge? Are they able to do everything a diesel truck can do right now? Can they go across country with two drivers, drop off their trailer, and pick up another immediately for the return trip? Or, does it come down to the batteries being the limiting factor once again?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
Great, how far can they go between charges, and how long does it take to charge? Are they able to do everything a diesel truck can do right now? Can they go across country with two drivers, drop off their trailer, and pick up another immediately for the return trip? Or, does it come down to the batteries being the limiting factor once again?
https://www.tesla.com/semi?redirect=no

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
Tesla:
300-500 mile range
30+ minutes to charge

Diesel:
800-2000 mile range
10-15 minutes to fill

Not exactly a one-to-one replacement. EV's can fill a decent niche in a logistics network, but they aren't near capable of fulfilling a long-haul role.
I agree. But you have to keep in mind... This is Gen 1. So if Gen 1 can fill some of the role and bridge the gap (and provide much needed data and funding) to Gen 2 or even 3 where it can fulfill the entire role then that is still a success.

People need to understand that EVs are still in their infancy while ICE vehicles have had over 100 years of development. You need to start somewhere though.... EVs are compelling enough to fill some of the role today and with enough R&D should be able to completely replace the current product within a few years time. The key is battery development and production.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm getting somewhat impatient waiting for the first camo'd S650 prototypes to be spied. Once we see those, we can put the "next-gen won't come until 2028+" rumors to bed. Hopefully!
I think they're running behind schedule. It was said early last year, the goal was to have S650 mules in S550 bodies out by last Summer and S650 prototypes by winter 2021. Job 1 was May 2022, but clearly it has slipped just like S550 did 8 years ago, but this time due to pandemic.

My cousin has been in and out of Detroit despite being upper-mid level at Ford, via flying privately and working remotely. A lot of stuff has fallen behind because of Ford campus closure in 2020.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not yet, but folks are already working on it.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The solar roof is made of tempered glass and can withstand hail better then a traditional roof. In addition, if a section does get damaged due to falling tree limbs or such, the section can be easily popped out and replaced. The solar roof tiles are held in place by an underlying structure with the tiles simply clicking into place. Makes for easy removal and servicing.
Good that somebody involved in the design had their thinking cap on. Now they have to commit long-term to stocking the fewest number of standard-design sections as practical. Hate to see somebody stuck with a damaged section that nobody still makes replacements for.

Norm
Sponsored