• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

“Next Gen” Mustang Will be Electric (EV) Only Claims Autoline

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't stand inches away from dump trucks as they speed by me, but putting a 440 volt plug into a receptacle means I'm less than an inch away from voltage (and current) that will easily kill. And in MN it is rarely dry. Areas like southern CA there's less concern with everything being soaked in mist or just outright wet almost constantly. But here it's not that way. That's why cars rust here.

I have a 440 v air compressor, so I do have that kind of voltage available here, but I have a lot of respect for the danger it represents. I have it hard wired. I don't plug and unplug it every day, wearing out the components over time.

My point being, the average person might not realize that handling a 440 v plug is like holding your hand next to the accessory drive on a V8 - when it's running. You are inches away from a potential life threatening situation.

One other thing I should say is that 110 isn't that dangerous. I've been shocked by it before and it's not comfortable but you have to really do something foolish like being wet standing in water for 110 to kill you. Of course it still can kill you. But 440 is much more dangerous.
Ever get bitten by a big capacitor, or a multi-kilivolt flyback transformer? 2/10, would not recommend.
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I've got 400V at my holiday house. No big deal. I'm still alive. :)
Besides, it's 400V between two phases, not between each phase and ground. It's still 230V between each phase and ground. Apart from one strange-looking socket where my three-phase heater is plugged in, every other socket in the house is perfectly normal.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I don't stand inches away from dump trucks as they speed by me, but putting a 440 volt plug into a receptacle means I'm less than an inch away from voltage (and current) that will easily kill. And in MN it is rarely dry. Areas like southern CA there's less concern with everything being soaked in mist or just outright wet almost constantly. But here it's not that way. That's why cars rust here.

I have a 440 v air compressor, so I do have that kind of voltage available here, but I have a lot of respect for the danger it represents. I have it hard wired. I don't plug and unplug it every day, wearing out the components over time.

My point being, the average person might not realize that handling a 440 v plug is like holding your hand next to the accessory drive on a V8 - when it's running. You are inches away from a potential life threatening situation.

One other thing I should say is that 110 isn't that dangerous. I've been shocked by it before and it's not comfortable but you have to really do something foolish like being wet standing in water for 110 to kill you. Of course it still can kill you. But 440 is much more dangerous.
And yet Europe uses 400v daily without undo harm to the common man.
Are you afraid of parking under or near a service transformer? There's 7200 volts in that metal box in subdivisions that children play on every day.
Don't dismiss 110v either, I've known 2 people electrocuted with 110v.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got 400V at my holiday house. No big deal. I'm still alive. :)
Besides, it's 400V between two phases, not between each phase and ground. It's still 230V between each phase and ground. Apart from one strange-looking socket where my three-phase heater is plugged in, every other socket in the house is perfectly normal.
Wait, Romania has electricity :giggle:

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Of course. And high voltage at that. 😁
But we use it for vacuum cleaners and laptops, not for cars.
[/QUOTE]
What about laptops and vacuum cleaners FOR cars?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And yet Europe uses 400v daily without undo harm to the common man.
Are you afraid of parking under or near a service transformer? There's 7200 volts in that metal box in subdivisions that children play on every day.
Don't dismiss 110v either, I've known 2 people electrocuted with 110v.
I don't think afraid is the right word, but I do have respect for high voltage and the danger it represents. Higher voltage will overcome a lot larger of a gap or insulator than low voltage does. Just like I don't work on my ICE engine when it's running unless necessary, I would stay away from the high voltage and high current lines in an EV as much as possible.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I don't think afraid is the right word, but I do have respect for high voltage and the danger it represents. Higher voltage will overcome a lot larger of a gap or insulator than low voltage does. Just like I don't work on my ICE engine when it's running unless necessary, I would stay away from the high voltage and high current lines in an EV as much as possible.
Here’s an interesting read on charging. As ownership increases improvements will will be brought to market faster and faster.

https://mashable.com/article/level-2-faster-home-ev-charging/

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yeah you don't need the expensive chargers. This $700 charger that must be professionally installed is enough. :crackup:
Don't forget the cost for having it installed at every stop on a road trip:

This week, Spanish electric charging company Wallbox introduced its first Level 2 home charging kit for U.S. drivers. That's about eight to 10 times faster than basic, Level 1 home charging and takes about four hours to fully charge a Chevy Bolt and similar cars. That doesn't sound fast enough if you're on a road trip, but

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Yeah you don't need the expensive chargers. This $700 charger that must be professionally installed is enough. :crackup:
Not really an issue. Car makers and governments are sponsoring these chargers as part of the EV roll out. In the UK they are anywhere from free to a £200 ish depending on UK government grant etc. They then add to the value of the house, as do installed solar panels - even better if you have both !

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Not really an issue. Car makers and governments are sponsoring these chargers as part of the EV roll out. In the UK they are anywhere from free to a £200 ish depending on UK government grant etc. They then add to the value of the house, as do installed solar panels - even better if you have both !
In the US solar panels do NOT add to the value of your house, unless they are brand new. In fact the first and second gen of houses that have them are worth LESS due to the install.

Oh and remember the Gov't gets its money from where? YOU my friend so THEY are not installing anything YOU are at a pretty good markup if my experience with gov't contracting is any indicator.

And then the question always comes back to HOW is the electricity you are pumping into your car generated....in the US the majority is still generated via fossil fuels because the environmentalists HATE nuclear for some reason and its been dead here since the 70's. So....all you are doing is moving the emissions from YOUR tail pipe to the smoke stack of the generating plant at a greater BTU loss than shipping gasoline and using it directly.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
In the US solar panels do NOT add to the value of your house, unless they are brand new. In fact the first and second gen of houses that have them are worth LESS due to the install.

Oh and remember the Gov't gets its money from where? YOU my friend so THEY are not installing anything YOU are at a pretty good markup if my experience with gov't contracting is any indicator.

And then the question always comes back to HOW is the electricity you are pumping into your car generated....in the US the majority is still generated via fossil fuels because the environmentalists HATE nuclear for some reason and its been dead here since the 70's. So....all you are doing is moving the emissions from YOUR tail pipe to the smoke stack of the generating plant at a greater BTU loss than shipping gasoline and using it directly.
Odd that solar PV would devalue the house - what is the downside? You buy a house with free electricity generation ?

Clearly govt money comes from the people - and they tax and spend it as they are asked to do by those people. Taxation and incentivisation are applied to everything, from alcohol to sugar and petrol.

Depends on the country - Most electricity in the UK is from renewables and coal has been virtually phased out. No oil and a little gas used currently. One thing to remember about the energy density of petrol is that it is very inefficiently converted to power in an ICE (about 25% efficient) compared to nearly 100% with an electric motor.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
As long as it's a proper pony car Mustang (2+2 seating/long nose/short tail/fastback or convertible) I welcome an EV version. It'll be a sad day when you can no longer buy a Mustang with a V8, but we know its coming eventually.

Personally, I'd like to see the EV version sold alongside the V8, but if they're going to build a pure EV Mustang, it would make sense that its new from the ground up.

I still want to see a hybrid (especially if its a V8 with electric assist) for S650 though.
I agree
Sponsored