• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

“Next Gen” Mustang Will be Electric (EV) Only Claims Autoline

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Exponential huh? Not just doubling in 5 years, but exponential? So you mean instead of 8 hours for a full charge it will take 1 hour? Still sucks compared to filling up a gas tank in 2 minutes.
Have you timed yourself getting gas? Takes 2+ minutes just to get the stupid thing to read your card! Then if you get a slow pumping line, Easily 10 minutes. Of course charging an EV will be an eternity by comparison but I don't think I've ever gotten gas in close to 2 minutes.
Sponsored

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you timed yourself getting gas? Takes 2+ minutes just to get the stupid thing to read your card! Then if you get a slow pumping line, Easily 10 minutes. Of course charging an EV will be an eternity by comparison but I don't think I've ever gotten gas in close to 2 minutes.
I have the NFC chip in my card. It read faster than you can say "blee-bloop". Any station I go to fills a gallon in about 10 seconds. Yes, I do a quick count while I'm at the pump because I'm obsessive. I don't let the car below half a tank unless I'm going long distance on a highway. 8 gallons is 1:20. Even a full tank is less than 3 minutes.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I have the NFC chip in my card. It read faster than you can say "blee-bloop". Any station I go to fills a gallon in about 10 seconds. Yes, I do a quick count while I'm at the pump because I'm obsessive. I don't let the car below half a tank unless I'm going long distance on a highway. 8 gallons is 1:20. Even a full tank is less than 3 minutes.
Also have the chip thing. Maybe I go to a crappy station. There's the "do you want to use store rewards?" question and also takes a strong 5 count before asking for my pin. But this stuff will happen weather charging or filling so moot. So the time it takes to pull trigger till you put the pump back in it's holder is all we worry about. If I think about it, I'll time it next time, maybe I'll be the one surprised.

TheGame1190

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
So you mean instead of 8 hours for a full charge it will take 1 hour?
Eight hours? A Tesla supercharger can charge a Model S to 50% in 20 minutes and 80% in 40 minutes. Thats good for about four or five hours of driving at interstate speeds.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also have the chip thing. Maybe I go to a crappy station. There's the "do you want to use store rewards?" question and also takes a strong 5 count before asking for my pin. But this stuff will happen weather charging or filling so moot. So the time it takes to pull trigger till you put the pump back in it's holder is all we worry about. If I think about it, I'll time it next time, maybe I'll be the one surprised.
Just time the gas part. As you said, the card transaction part will be a wash.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eight hours? A Tesla supercharger can charge a Model S to 50% in 20 minutes and 80% in 40 minutes. Thats good for about four or five hours of driving at interstate speeds.
Assuming you always find a supercharger, and assuming no on is using it. At most an ICE vehicle is at the pump a few minutes. There are also enough stations around that if one is busy, you can just go to the next one (which might even be across the street in some areas). The same can't be said for supercharger stations. Increase the time to fill, and decrease the amount of places to fill, and what do you get? This is another facet of the infrastructure problem with an aggressive EV rollout. The difference is that with EV's you can create a "fill station" at home. Too bad not all fill-ups are at home.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I don't let the car below half a tank unless I'm going long distance on a highway.
That's brutal for the gas door hinge. Do you also flip the door lock/unlock button constantly while driving? :wink:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
2 minutes might be a slight exaggeration. Possibly it's 4 minutes TOTAL. The Fiesta's range is well over 300 miles on a 12.4 gallon tank of gas, but time to put 10 gallons in the tank to fill completely up is not long. And the card takes a few seconds to read. You must go to a place with older equipment or something.

The time to charge a $70K Model S is 97 hours at normal house 110 voltage, 12 hours at 220 volts with a special setup required, and 1.33 hours at a very dangerous 440 volts.

Not competitive at all.

And 50% charge in 20 minutes is crazy. No way am I going to sit around for 20 minutes waiting for a HALF of a charge. Not when I can fill COMPLETELY up in such a short time with a gas powered vehicle. And don't rapid and partial charges shorten your battery life?

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
2 minutes might be a slight exaggeration. Possibly it's 4 minutes TOTAL. The Fiesta's range is well over 300 miles on a 12.4 gallon tank of gas, but time to put 10 gallons in the tank to fill completely up is not long. And the card takes a few seconds to read. You must go to a place with older equipment or something.

The time to charge a $70K Model S is 97 hours at normal house 110 voltage, 12 hours at 220 volts with a special setup required, and 1.33 hours at a very dangerous 440 volts.

Not competitive at all.

And 50% charge in 20 minutes is crazy. No way am I going to sit around for 20 minutes waiting for a charge. Not when I can fill up in such a short time with a gas powered vehicle.
Competitiveness needs to be defined by usage. When used as the majority of drivers do, full electrics are competitive. At my last job I travelled 70 miles a day, 350 miles a week. That’s above the norm. Now add a couple of hundred weekend miles every week. So overnight recharging twice a week and not a second stopping to fill up for gas. Do the math, 27,500 miles a year and zero time at a gas station.

Ok, now the other side of the coin. Long distance driving that requires recharging stops along the way. Not so competitive. So at the end of the day it really depends on how you use your vehicle.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Competitiveness needs to be defined by usage. When used as the majority of drivers do, full electrics are competitive. At my last job I travelled 70 miles a day, 350 miles a week. That’s above the norm. Now add a couple of hundred weekend miles every week. So overnight recharging twice a week and not a second stopping to fill up for gas. Do the math, 27,500 miles a year and zero time at a gas station.

Ok, now the other side of the coin. Long distance driving that requires recharging stops along the way. Not so competitive. So at the end of the day it really depends on how you use your vehicle.
Like I said before the "diligent commuter" usage case. I could also see a scenario where you actually CAN'T recharge from home. Imagine a 70's style gas shortage, except for electricity. Sorry, you can only draw from the grid on Tuesdays. If we don't beef up our grid capacity (especially at night) this isn't that far-fetched.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Like I said before the "diligent commuter" usage case. I could also see a scenario where you actually CAN'T recharge from home. Imagine a 70's style gas shortage, except for electricity. Sorry, you can only draw from the grid on Tuesdays. If we don't beef up our grid capacity (especially at night) this isn't that far-fetched.
Agreed. There has to be massive upgrades to the infrastructure to support a large increase in electric vehicle usage. But that is being addressed and the change will be slow in coming.

That said it is possible to avoid the chance of this happening. Solar energy is a real alternative to the grid. Add a storage device and you can generate and store enough to fill up your car, run your house and make some money selling some back to the grid. Now, of course, this isn’t for everyone but it is another alternative.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. There has to be massive upgrades to the infrastructure to support a large increase in electric vehicle usage. But that is being addressed and the change will be slow in coming.

That said it is possible to avoid the chance of this happening. Solar energy is a real alternative to the grid. Add a storage device and you can generate and store enough to fill up your car, run your house and make some money selling some back to the grid. Now, of course, this isn’t for everyone but it is another alternative.
Agreed, but in some states the regulations are just plain stupid. In NY, your solar is attached to the grid sure. But if power goes out, your power goes out as well. Because they make you tie it to the grid. Net metering only works in favor of the power company. Off-grid installs are the way to go.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

That is a good point on competitiveness related to time to charge - but you have to make some other assumptions.
1. You never ever go on long trips. So you either have to spend the money to purchase an entirely different vehicle you use for long trips, or you end up paying the price with long charge times when you do. Yes most people use their vehicles for shorter trips daily, but most people also want to take longer trips at least a few times a year.
2. You are also assuming running costs are similar for either. Electricity is a relatively expensive source of energy in some areas of the country. And electric cars are more expensive than gasoline equivalents.
3. And you are assuming they are equally reliable.
4. And are they equally fun to drive? Hint: this is an easy one for people like me who prefer a manual transmission.

Time to charge is only one small factor of electrics making them non-competitive.

And by the way, I'm not stopping you from buying one. If you really think they are competitive I'm sure you already own an electric car - and love it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
That is a good point on competitiveness related to time to charge - but you have to make some other assumptions.
1. You never ever go on long trips. So you either have to spend the money to purchase an entirely different vehicle you use for long trips, or you end up paying the price with long charge times when you do. Yes most people use their vehicles for shorter trips daily, but most people also want to take longer trips at least a few times a year.
2. You are also assuming running costs are similar for either. Electricity is a relatively expensive source of energy in some areas of the country. And electric cars are more expensive than gasoline equivalents.
3. And you are assuming they are equally reliable.
4. And are they equally fun to drive? Hint: this is an easy one for people like me who prefer a manual transmission.

Time to charge is only one small factor of electrics making them non-competitive.

And by the way, I'm not stopping you from buying one. If you really think they are competitive I'm sure you already own an electric car - and love it.
All excellent points but I was only addressing the charging Vs. fill-up issue.

Long distance travel does change the equation. When I visit family up on Long Island I would have to stop and recharge, probably twice. Unless I was stopping for a meal that would be an inconvenience. But I only do this a couple of times a year so I’d deal with it. Now if I had to do this weekly, no way.

Now if I were generating my own energy, electric would be cheaper. Electric cars have far fewer parts and should be more reliable. No 2k rattles or BBQ ticks :giggle:

Fun to drive.......let’s just say that my GT/CS is going to be in my garage for a very long time. :like:
Sponsored