• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

“Next Gen” Mustang Will be Electric (EV) Only Claims Autoline

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd buy this.

1612461673983.png
You must make a lot more money than I do. If you look at competing electric cars, most don't make 900 hp. The Tesla model S with ~400 some hp is $70K. The Mercedes SLS AMG coupe electric drive is closer with 740 hp and it costs an astounding $544K. Just nuts.

So this Mustang would probably cost WELL over $100K. Conservatively.

And you say you're going to buy it.

I say it's unlikely you would be a buyer if Ford offered a car like this for sale. I know for sure I wouldn't be. Even if it cost bargain basement similar to a base GT500 at $80K (totally unrealistic) - I wouldn't be interested at all.
Sponsored

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You must make a lot more money than I do. If you look at competing electric cars, most don't make 900 hp. The Tesla model S with ~400 some hp is $70K. The Mercedes SLS AMG coupe electric drive is closer with 740 hp and it costs an astounding $544K. Just nuts.

I say it's unlikely you would be a buyer if Ford offered a car like this for sale. I know for sure I wouldn't be. Even if it cost bargain basement similar to a base GT500 at $80K (totally unrealistic) - I wouldn't be interested at all.
Better comparison would be a Model 3 Tesla, which starts at $38k. That's 450HP (estimated) for near enough the same price of the GT. Plus, the Tesla has more creature comforts standard that are in the Premium Mustang trim. With economies of scale, shared platforms, etc., I could see an "EcoBoost" variant in the $25-30k range. Comparing the price of a Mustang to a Mercedes is pointless.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

I Wish :giggle: Remember we are talking next gen, S750. That's 2028. My GT/CS will be 9 years old at that point and I'll be 78 :frown:. With improvements in technology, and hopefully infrastructure, an electric Mustang coupe might be affordable. I'm just hoping I'm still here to see it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Better comparison would be a Model 3 Tesla, which starts at $38k. That's 450HP (estimated) for near enough the same price of the GT. Plus, the Tesla has more creature comforts standard that are in the Premium Mustang trim. With economies of scale, shared platforms, etc., I could see an "EcoBoost" variant in the $25-30k range. Comparing the price of a Mustang to a Mercedes is pointless.
A Mach-E performance GT is supposed to be in the $60-70K range, right. Pull off the CUV body off and put a Mustang coupe body on it (remember is is rear wheel drive) and you would have one hell of a car. That's what I'm thinking a future electric Mustang might evolve into.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wasn't saying that it would cost anywhere near the Mercedes. I said it would probably cost 20% of the Mercedes, though. Are you really trying to say that a 900 hp performance Mustang with a manual transmission would be offered by Ford at an MSRP between $25 and $40K? :giggle:

I Wish :giggle: Remember we are talking next gen, S750. That's 2028. My GT/CS will be 9 years old at that point and I'll be 78 :frown:. With improvements in technology, and hopefully infrastructure, an electric Mustang coupe might be affordable. I'm just hoping I'm still here to see it.
I hope you are around then and in good health.

A Mach-E performance GT is supposed to be in the $60-70K range, right. Pull off the CUV body off and put a Mustang coupe body on it (remember is is rear wheel drive) and you would have one hell of a car. That's what I'm thinking a future electric Mustang might evolve into.
OK so if you want something with 480 HP that's a lot more reasonable than 900 HP. Maybe I was being too literal. I thought you wanted something with more performance than the current Mustang. Not a heavier car with similar HP and no good sounds coming from it.

I personally would need to see a big performance improvement over the current Mustang before I'd be willing to give up the V8 gas engine.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I was just trying to give an example of something that was static, and unchaining, for decades and generations. Then in a blink of a eye, changed (was gone).
The thing is, a landline has a use today that would have never been foreseen back in the day . . .

screening out robocalls and other unwanted calls.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's what I'm afraid it'll evolve into.

Norm

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wasn't saying that it would cost anywhere near the Mercedes. I said it would probably cost 20% of the Mercedes, though. Are you really trying to say that a 900 hp performance Mustang with a manual transmission would be offered by Ford at an MSRP between $25 and $40K? :giggle:

I hope you are around then and in good health.

OK so if you want something with 480 HP that's a lot more reasonable than 900 HP. Maybe I was being too literal. I thought you wanted something with more performance than the current Mustang. Not a heavier car with similar HP and no good sounds coming from it.

I personally would need to see a big performance improvement over the current Mustang before I'd be willing to give up the V8 gas engine.
I was more saying that not all Mustang EV models will be in the $70-100k price range. And with advancing technology, a future EV won't need 900 HP to beat out an equivalent 900 HP ICE car.

It all comes down to the batteries, as always. Get them lighter, faster charging, AND not degrade over time, tgen the EV is viable as a replacement. Until then, they are a supplement that doesn't cover all usage scenarios.

The biggest problem is that the viability is pure focused on the commuter who diligently goes to-and-from their reasonably distanced workplace and doesn't deviate in any way. No lengthy car trips, no unexpected changes of plan between charges, no forgetting to plug in at night, none of that nonsense. Oh, and the power grid is totally built up and ready in this scenario as well.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

Keep in mind that the GT Performance's 480HP only has two motors powering all wheels, today. Now add two more motors, smaller and far more efficient in 2028 than today and you've got 900+ HP. I also expect mileage to be 500+ and thousands more charging stations that will give you a full charge in under 30 minutes.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger
If you compare where EV's were 10 yrs ago to today, you can see that what will be available in just another 5 yrs will be an exponential leap. Economy of scale is the big factor. When VW, Toyota and GM get cranked up, EV's will be way cheaper than ICE due to far less complexity and cheaper manufacturing. I've always said that ICE isn't going away any more than horses have. But horses are for recreation now, not transportation. ICE will be around but it will be an expensive hobby... And all the old guys on this forum will be riding in an autonomous EV to the senior center every day :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Keep in mind that the GT Performance's 480HP only has two motors powering all wheels, today. Now add two more motors, smaller and far more efficient in 2028 than today and you've got 900+ HP. I also expect mileage to be 500+ and thousands more charging stations that will give you a full charge in under 30 minutes.
Dream on. Far more efficient motors? I'm sure there will be some improvements, but no doubling of efficiency is going to happen in the next 9 years. Might as well believe it will be powered with cold fusion and room temperature superconductors. And they are not going to offer a 900 hp vehicle. Not for a reasonable price.

If you compare where EV's were 10 yrs ago to today, you can see that what will be available in just another 5 yrs will be an exponential leap. Economy of scale is the big factor. When VW, Toyota and GM get cranked up, EV's will be way cheaper than ICE due to far less complexity and cheaper manufacturing. I've always said that ICE isn't going away any more than horses have. But horses are for recreation now, not transportation. ICE will be around but it will be an expensive hobby... And all the old guys on this forum will be riding in an autonomous EV to the senior center every day :)
Exponential huh? Not just doubling in 5 years, but exponential? So you mean instead of 8 hours for a full charge it will take 1 hour? Still sucks compared to filling up a gas tank in 2 minutes.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I'm pretty sure we're all not going to have a choice in electric vehicles or gas powered vehicles. Unless you want to drive a used car. And even then, I'm sure they will "punish" you in some way with high surcharges or what not. (Sorta like the gas guzzler tax. What a fucking scam that is!)

The top 3 brands are already announcing that they will be making electric vehicles in the very near future.
What a shame. So much for "freedom", huh?? 😡 🤬 😡 🤬

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm pretty sure we're all not going to have a choice in electric vehicles or gas powered vehicles. Unless you want to drive a used car. And even then, I'm sure they will "punish" you in some way with high surcharges or what not. (Sorta like the gas guzzler tax. What a fucking scam that is!)

The top 3 brands are already announcing that they will be making electric vehicles in the very near future.
What a shame. So much for "freedom", huh?? 😡 🤬 😡 🤬
If people don't buy electric vehicles, something will happen to allow ICEs back in. On the other hand, if electric vehicles somehow suddenly become great enough that everyone wants them, I guess at that point there won't be much of a problem.
Sponsored