• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OBDII Module for S650?

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I use this cable for my laptop and FORScan. There is another pay application you can use as well. I forgot the name, but the information for it comes with this cable:
OBDLink EX FORScan OBD Adapter https://a.co/d/a45G8mp

Full disclosure I have not used this on my S650. Works great on everything else I've plugged into.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
I use this cable for my laptop and FORScan. There is another pay application you can use as well. I forgot the name, but the information for it comes with this cable:
OBDLink EX FORScan OBD Adapter https://a.co/d/a45G8mp

Full disclosure I have not used this on my S650. Works great on everything else I've plugged into.
There's the rub. It is not clear that the software works on the S650.
As Forscan is Russian, how is the documentation?

Timry2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 XLT Sport
Is there a software other than forscan we could use to access the modules. Or are we looking at a bidirectional obd reader

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Is there a software other than forscan we could use to access the modules. Or are we looking at a bidirectional obd reader
FORScan has been the go-to OBDII software for the skilled DIY person (and many techs) when you want to perform service functions and make limited changes to customize your Ford, Lincoln, Mercury or (some) Mazdas. It's not really intended for the technically challenged crowd, but it's also not that difficult to learn how to perform basic functions if you know your way around a computer and have a good basic understanding of vehicles.

Compared to most other OBDII software, it's among the best, most detailed to use when dealing with these vehicles.

Common changes (not yet on the Mustang, but on my F150 for sure) including things such as adding digital values under the engine and transmission temp gauges on the display, disabling seat minders, turning off various beeps and bonks, disabling auto start/stop, disabling the double honk when exiting a running vehicle, changing the timeout of the powerpoint after ignition is turned off, customizing layout of the Sync screen, etc.

What FORScan can't do us upgrade the firmware for any of the modules in your vehicle. To do that, a different (more expensive) OBDII adapter is needed, as well as a paid subscription to FDRS - the Ford Diagnostic and Repair System. FDRS is actually the exact same software that the service techs @ the dealership use when diagnosing and repairing your vehicle. Most DIYers use FDRS to apply outstanding firmware updates to either add features or address known bugs without having to wait for them to be delivered via the normal OTA (over the air) process.

I've been using FORScan and FDRS on a variety of Ford vehicles since 2014.

Once you're well-versed using FORScan, the biggest challenge comes when new generations of vehicles come out -- like the S650. This is because FORScan is kinda like the flu shot: The flu shot works well against known strains of the flu virus but can only address new strains after they have been identified and built into the vaccine. Same goes for new vehicles - nobody knows how adjusting a value will affect the vehicle until they have started working with it. Luckily, there's a great community of FORScan users over on the F150Forum and, some have started to post here, too.

Of course, there may be other software out there that I'm not aware of, but FORScan does everything I need an OBDII scanning tool to do, and MUCH more.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as OBDII adapters for FORScan are concerned, I strongly recommend getting one that is confirmed compatible with FORScan. See forscan.org

While the wired adapters are OK for scanning and diagnosing, I prefer the wireless adapters so you can also run them with the Android or iOS version of FORScan to monitor things while you drive.

As such, I strongly recommend the OBDLink MX+, available from OBDLink or Amazon.

If you're wanting to go all out and use FDRS to program your vehicle, the go-to choice for least expensive J2534 VIC adapter is the Mongoose-Plus.

I own both, as I program via FDRS with the Mongoose-Plus, and I use the OBDLink wireless dongle with both FORScan and FORScan for Android.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's the rub. It is not clear that the software works on the S650.
See my long post just above. It takes time for new generations of vehicles to be supported. They don't just wake up one day and know everything about a new vehicle or generation, plot it into the software, and throw it out there. Things are already starting to build for the S650, but it takes time for the user community to test and communicate what you can do with it.

As Forscan is Russian, how is the documentation?
Yes, documentation is excellent, they run their own discussion forums, and there is a huge community of FORScan users across various discussion forums on the Interwebz.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve used it on mine as well, for CGD. Works as it should.
I've been meaning to get out there and add that to the DH, but haven't even been able to drive her in a week or so.

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
I have an obdlink something or other in my house somewhere, i really should find it before my car arrives :)
I'll also see what my TopDon can do when the car arrives. From their website it has 98 functions it can do on a '24 Mustang, although most of that will be duplicates as it shows the same thing for both engine types separately.

Timry2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 XLT Sport
Yeah, ive used forscan on my 2020 f150 and its been a great tool, just have to follow good working practices. Backup before you start changing the values. I’m no pro at it by no means. Every time i use it, i learn something new. I’ve been following livinitup and he has. Good list of code for the 150. Hopefully enough people will use forscan on the s650’s so the database can start to build

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an obdlink something or other in my house somewhere, i really should find it before my car arrives :)
I'll also see what my TopDon can do when the car arrives. From their website it has 98 functions it can do on a '24 Mustang, although most of that will be duplicates as it shows the same thing for both engine types separately.
Don't assume because the name is the same or because it was/is an expensive diagnostics tool that it will work with FORScan.

Bottom line, if it's not recommended by FORScan, I would strongly suggest you NOT use it. You've got huge dollars invested in your Mustang ... why risk screwing things up over $140 (or less)?

I suggest you review this thread: ELM327-compatible adapters - how to choose - FORScan forum

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, 2020 Mustang GT Premium c
I've been meaning to get out there and add that to the DH, but haven't even been able to drive her in a week or so.
You’ll know it works without even driving it. As soon as you put it in drive it will show a 1. 😁 if it does that, you know it worked 👍 thanks for all your help and advice, very much appreciated!

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, ive used forscan on my 2020 f150 and its been a great tool, just have to follow good working practices. Backup before you start changing the values. I’m no pro at it by no means. Every time i use it, i learn something new. I’ve been following livinitup and he has. Good list of code for the 150. Hopefully enough people will use forscan on the s650’s so the database can start to build
I always recommend the following:

DOCUMENT every change, and keep it stored in a safe place. You may need to refer or revert back to an original value later.

Save your original As-Built values before every change. Keep them all stored with the above.

Finally, many people don't realize that, if you make a change, your vehicle will eventually communicate it back with the Ford mothership. When it does, any values you have changed will overwrite the As-Built values stored up at Ford.

I always document the date of the change as well as both the BEFORE and AFTER value. I keep copies of the spreadsheets and document the changes right on them, keeping a "master" spreadsheet synced with the latest version of Livinitup's spreadsheet.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’ll know it works without even driving it. As soon as you put it in drive it will show a 1. 😁 if it does that, you know it worked 👍 thanks for all your help and advice, very much appreciated!
Thanks. I meant I haven't even been able to haul the laptop out there and make the change. Busy AF.

keithwalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Ember Dark Horse on order, Mercedes SLC
Don't assume because the name is the same or because it was/is an expensive diagnostics tool that it will work with FORScan.

Bottom line, if it's not recommended by FORScan, I would strongly suggest you NOT use it. You've got huge dollars invested in your Mustang ... why risk screwing things up over $140 (or less)?

I suggest you review this thread: ELM327-compatible adapters - how to choose - FORScan forum
I've checked my Amazon history (much quicker than trying to find where on earth the adaptor is) it's an obdlink MX (non +) that I have from 7 years ago. It's on forscan's approved list.

The topdon is a standalone diag device like an autel. It has it's own software would just be interesting to see what features it actually has for a '24
Sponsored