• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
A bit surprised people are putting so much weight on renderings based on talented but "away from the action" type artists, since its complete speculation
I don't think anybody is putting much weigth on renderings. It's just fun to speculate with other people what a new car could be like. Since it seems like we won't see any prototypes on the streets before end of the year, it's all we have šŸ˜œ
Sponsored

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
I was just watching POV videos of the F150 Powerboost, trying to make sense of how they synthesized V8 sounds into the cabin. Do you think if the Mustang does end up getting that engine instead of its own V8-hybrid...

1. They'll do that piped-in sound?

If yes,

2. Do you think they'll provide an option to turn off the fake engine sounds via a menu setting and not through some third-party application? (Not just in this theoretical hybrid engine, but across the board for all provided future engines of the Mustang.)

I'll leave my other questions for another time.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Bullitts, Mach 1 and even the C8 Corvette enhance the sound in the cabin virtually and nobody really cares since it's not noticable when you don't know it.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Interesting. I don't mind the synthesized sound myself. Just thought it was an odd pairing at first, enhancing a V6 with V8 sound. That said I'd be completely for it if they offered that as an active-exhaust-like option on a completely EV-ified traditional Mustang.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
The key thing here is making a product that is aspirational and not so much ultra luxurious like an S-Class or a Lexus.

Ford gave it their all with One Ford for the outgoing Fusion, leaving its humble Mazda roots behind and borrowing from the more upscale Mondeo.

However it just didnā€™t work as they desired, as it was built in too many configurations, with no real profit margin compared to a crossover, truck, or Mustang.

Nor did it dominate the segment as they hoped against the Japanese competition.

Going forward this company needs a sedan that can attract the type of young audience who aspires to be seen in a vehicle that draws from the cool image and storied heritage of the Mustang nameplate, without being seen as corny like the Mach E.

A Charger competitor could be a good last hurrah for ICE performance and the sedan layout, but can it fit on the S550 platform basis which has only been a 2-door?

The wheelbase is a potential issue to me, if it cannot be stretched to accommodate greater rear legroom on a four door.

Can Ford make an easier profit per unit on such a vehicle as a 4 door, with a flashier design and nameplate than any Fusion, Taurus, or Focus?

Would it make sense to convert CD6 back to being modular and car capable, after Hackett cancelled that 4 years ago?

Ford since 2019 has mentioned vague plans to introduce a new ā€œMustang and derivativesā€ in Flat Rock. What do they actually mean by ā€œderivatives, as everyone I ask about it doesnā€™t say much?
Remember how the plant used to build not only Mustangs, but Mazda6s (until 2012), Fusions, and Continentals?

All except Mustang are now gone, so there is a LOT of unused capacity Ford can use for other vehicles in that factory. What are they hiding is my question?

Some people in news media try and make it seem like Ford is going to build other nameplates in there, but I donā€™t think so.

Ford are expanding the Mustang family somehow for sure, since volume is probably underused there and no other nameplates, but ā€œall new Mustang and derivativesā€ are coming. I donā€™t think they mean Mach-E, but maybe another bodystyle indeed...

S650 Mustang Rumor: S650 Mustang 4-Door Sedan Will Debut in 2022 with 3 Engine Options 6C643B6C-D35F-4985-B8F5-95FBF8FD384A

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
A byproduct, spinoff, offshoot.

Interesting.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Ford since 2019 has mentioned vague plans to introduce a new ā€œMustang and derivativesā€ in Flat Rock. What do they actually mean by ā€œderivatives, as everyone I ask about it doesnā€™t say much?
Remember how the plant used to build not only Mustangs, but Mazda6s (until 2012), Fusions, and Continentals?

All except Mustang are now gone, so there is a LOT of unused capacity Ford can use for other vehicles in that factory. What are they hiding is my question?

Some people in news media try and make it seem like Ford is going to build other nameplates in there, but I donā€™t think so.

Ford are expanding the Mustang family somehow for sure, since volume is probably underused there and no other nameplates, but ā€œall new Mustang and derivativesā€ are coming. I donā€™t think they mean Mach-E, but maybe another bodystyle indeed...

6C643B6C-D35F-4985-B8F5-95FBF8FD384A.jpeg
Which raises some question how the pretty much unexpected new Mondeo/Fusion fits in. Maybe it's an europe only car. But the spiedshots looked like it could have tribar rear lights. I don't know what's worse, naming a Fusion Mustang or adding Mustang design to non-Mustang cars

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yeah, the only way I want to see a 4-door Mustang is if it's based on S550/S650. But I can't see the current architecture being flexible enough to adapt to a longer wheelbase needed for a 4 door. Perhaps that rumoured "S650 is S550 with elements of CD6" is the secret ingrediant.

But if this is just another car with slapped on "Mustang inspired" styling elements, I hope it doesn't happen.

OP
OP

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
The key thing here is making a product that is aspirational and not so much ultra luxurious like an S-Class or a Lexus.

Ford gave it their all with One Ford for the outgoing Fusion, leaving its humble Mazda roots behind and borrowing from the more upscale Mondeo.

However it just didnā€™t work as they desired, as it was built in too many configurations, with no real profit margin compared to a crossover, truck, or Mustang.

Nor did it dominate the segment as they hoped against the Japanese competition.

Going forward this company needs a sedan that can attract the type of young audience who aspires to be seen in a vehicle that draws from the cool image and storied heritage of the Mustang nameplate, without being seen as corny like the Mach E.

A Charger competitor could be a good last hurrah for ICE performance and the sedan layout, but can it fit on the S550 platform basis which has only been a 2-door?

The wheelbase is a potential issue to me, if it cannot be stretched to accommodate greater rear legroom on a four door.

Can Ford make an easier profit per unit on such a vehicle as a 4 door, with a flashier design and nameplate than any Fusion, Taurus, or Focus?

Would it make sense to convert CD6 back to being modular and car capable, after Hackett cancelled that 4 years ago?

6C643B6C-D35F-4985-B8F5-95FBF8FD384A.jpeg
Interesting questions and the most compelling answer to most of them is simply CD6. However, you told us that S650 will be built on the old platform with major improvements (I hope that doesnā€™t sound judgmental, itā€™s not meant that way).

Letā€™s try a shot into the dark:

1. Derivatives could simply mean different trim levels but thatā€™s somewhat unlikely. Although, $200million isn't all that much compared to all the other investments...
  2. Derivatives could mean different Mustangs like the rumored four-door sedan and maybe future crossovers.
    1. In that case DC2 is most likely not capable of doing that or they ā€œmodifyā€ it until thereā€™s nothing left of DC2 and we might as well call it CD6 (wasnā€™t there a CD5 rumor??). In that case they shouldā€™ve used CD6 in the first placeā€¦
      OR we get a ā€œrealā€ Mustang on DC2 (modified) and all other derivatives will be built on another platform. Since the derivatives only carry the Mustang nameplate they might as well use a different platform that supports a longer wheelbase, crossovers and what else. Maybe S650 was already developed for DC2+ and it wouldā€™ve been too expensive to transfer it to CD6. The derivatives however, were a different talk?!
    2. They somehow manage to modify DC2 so much that it supports a longer wheelbase and all the stuff that a car in 2022 needs in order to remain relevant on the market (electrification, more tech features, AWD etc.). In my opinion that wouldā€™ve cost a lot of money compared to an already existing CD6 platform and would still limit the car in some way due to the old platform.
Maybe weā€™re completely off but itā€™s still fun to speculate about how it could play out :D. Since you quoted ā€œMustang AND derivativesā€ it sound like we get more than just a four door sedan. In that case I would bet on a crossover Mustang that would most certainly sell like crazy and could rival a rumored corvette crossover. Anything else than CD6 or a slightly modified CD6 platform (that might be called a heavily modified DC2) doesnā€™t make much sense from my perspective. What are your thoughts on that?

BTW: Did you notice that "Michigan" will do the stamping for the S650?

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
RWD or RWD biased AWD setup. 4 doors, slightly longer...200 inches or so A little more headroom would be nice, but that's ok too. Think 8 series GC size.

V8 with options for a turbo 4 or 6, maybe hybrid setup or a pure electric model.
Interior should be of similar quality to the current Mustang or better. Ideally, a HUD would be added as an option. Ideally, both an A10 and a manual option
Ideally, many of the Mustang bolt-ons would also work straight out of the box
450-500 hp, 425-500 ft-lbs torque
Seating is 4 seats, ideally tall enough to put full sized males in the back. Enough foot/leg room for them too. Give them a rear seat console instead of a middle seat.
Base ride should be sporty, but not jarring. MagneRide as standard or option. More performance based rides available as an option.
Give the same performance options for coupe and GC/sedan versions (big brake and wheel options, Torsen or locking diff options, Bigger radiators, oil coolers, etc.)

If there are body vents, make them functional. Air ducted to/from the brakes are good, fake trim that makes it look like there might be ducts are not.

Mustang GT should be of a similar size to what it is now. If possible, bump up the HP and torque a bit. A10 or manual, maybe a dual clutch for the performance versions

Call it a Falcon, Galaxie, Thunderbird, or just have it be a high performance version that's called the SHO that competes with the SCAT Pack Charger. DO NOT call it a Taurus, Fusion, etc.

Make it fun to drive, make it look good. While both of those are subjective, Ford as been....stodgy in the looks department. Heck, even Civics and Camry's are looking pretty sharp these days as compared to similar Fords. Don't be afraid of edges.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
If one of the derivatives does turn out to be a sedan, would it be named "Mustang [new name]" or just go by a new name altogether? Either way, I'd call the sedan variant either Falcon or Torino if they want to use older nameplates. Or if they give it a new name altogether, I'd go with Thoroughbred or Interceptor.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT
In the 1970s Ford Australia built 2-door and 4-door Falcon on the same wheelbase, albeit 100mm/4 inches longer than the current Mustang.

Although the Mustang wheelbase is longer than the last of the Cortinas that were considered to be a ā€˜familyā€™ car, in UK/Europe at least.

S650 Mustang Rumor: S650 Mustang 4-Door Sedan Will Debut in 2022 with 3 Engine Options RPO83-Falcon

Before anyone asks, the hardtop was built with racing in mind, hence the huge rear wheel arches.

S650 Mustang Rumor: S650 Mustang 4-Door Sedan Will Debut in 2022 with 3 Engine Options 1977-29-copy-895x600

I would be pleasantly surprised if Ford produced a 4-door, and ecstatically excited if they named it a Falcon!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I think it would be a cool twist.....a new Falcon born from the bones of the new Mustang, considering the original Mustang was born from the bones of the original Falcon.

I'm sure it'd go down a storm in Australia. You guys hung onto the Falcon name for a long time and I suspect there's more love for the Falcon than there is for the Mustang. It's a damn cool name, too.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Matt won't have made this up, he's better than that. His source would have to have had some level of credibility in order for him to report this. That being said, I still have a hard time believing much of what was discussed. Time will tell though.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
Does Matt have any prove? Where did he see or heard when they said ā€œ4 doors Sedanā€? He know nothing. He made ALL it up. Terribly imagination.

Only confirmed the real information from Ford. NOT peopleā€™s imagination.
As a long time Mustang fan, member of M6G and big popularity he has his insider sources which of course he will not reveal publicly. He had pretty accurate insider details about Mustangs in the past, so there is no need to attack him based on nothing.

Of course a lot of things are subjects to change. Especially with Corona and the new EV hype a lot of plans that were made a few years ago might already be changed or cancelled completely
Sponsored