• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

ZL1 >>>> to a GT or DH?

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Camaro ZL1 (prev. 2019 Mustang GT; 2025?)
Has anyone on here ever let go of a current gen Camaro ZL1 and moved back to a Mustang GT or DH simply because the Mustang sounds better, is a better daily, or other reasons?
[Cue the comments for one would have to be crazy to even consider such a thing.]
Sponsored

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
I say this as someone who isn't a fan of Camaros and owns a '24 GT PP1 and has driven a '24 Dark Horse... I would not go from a ZL1 to a '24 GT or Dark Horse. You have a much more special car than either of those. The Alpha chassis on the Camaros is exceptional.

If you want something fast and comfortable as a daily then I'd get the GT since it has a better power-to-weight ratio than the Dark Horse, and it has more features in it (Dark Horse doesn't get cooled seats for some odd reason, and has Alcantera instead of full leather like the GT). You won't see any advantages over the GT with a Dark Horse unless you track it, as it's meant to be a track weapon and kind of a hybrid between a Mach 1 and GT350.

The issue is you already have a really fast daily, that also happens to be one hell of a track weapon and a better one than the Dark Horse at that.

Honestly if you wanted to trade from the ZL1 towards a Mustang you'd be better off trading it towards a slightly used GT500 or GT350.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
yeah for the most part i think ZL1 owners would trade for the GT350 or GT500, but i can see a few jumping ship and settling for a Dark Horse or GTPP with all thats been happening with the last gen Camaro.

cstraley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT , 24 Tundra, 2023 M240i, 23 QX80
As someone who has owned just about everything Mclarens. Ferrari, Audi R8, 911 turbos, caymans, boxsters ,NSX,ZL1,C6 and C7 Z06 several ,Grand sports, 2 GT500's. I can tell you what I think the transition would be. I have a 24 GT Premium with 10 speed, PP, magride. Upgraded exhaust. You will gain a much more compliant ride and snappier throttle response, better exhaust note, and an interior upgrade slightly. You will lose the supercharger g force and quick steering. Your gas mileage will be about the same. I average 17.6 with spirited city driving. I love the Mustang but I wouldn't do it. I traded a GT500 and I have regrets. I personally hate the GT350, feels like a piece of shit driving it in comparison to an S650 like mine which feels much more polished. In all fairness the GT350 steering feel was superior, that's it. I just drove a beautiful 2018 low mileage one the other day. I have driven a couple with the same impression. Your ZL1 is a much better car imo. Mustang exhausts are just the best though lol. If you decide to go forward find a Darkhorse with handing package and automatic (my build) and recaros. I am actively contemplating selling my GT for a build like that at or below sticker. They are getting much cheaper by the day. If you wait a couple months you might even get a darkhorse for 2k or more below sticker. My 2cents.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
As someone who has owned just about everything Mclarens. Ferrari, Audi R8, 911 turbos, caymans, boxsters ,NSX,ZL1,C6 and C7 Z06 several ,Grand sports, 2 GT500's. I can tell you what I think the transition would be. I have a 24 GT Premium with 10 speed, PP, magride. Upgraded exhaust. You will gain a much more compliant ride and snappier throttle response, better exhaust note, and an interior upgrade slightly. You will lose the supercharger g force and quick steering. Your gas mileage will be about the same. I average 17.6 with spirited city driving. I love the Mustang but I wouldn't do it. I traded a GT500 and I have regrets. I personally hate the GT350, feels like a piece of shit driving it in comparison to an S650 like mine which feels much more polished. In all fairness the GT350 steering feel was superior, that's it. I just drove a beautiful 2018 low mileage one the other day. I have driven a couple with the same impression. Your ZL1 is a much better car imo. Mustang exhausts are just the best though lol. If you decide to go forward find a Darkhorse with handing package and automatic (my build) and recaros. I am actively contemplating selling my GT for a build like that at or below sticker. They are getting much cheaper by the day. If you wait a couple months you might even get a darkhorse for 2k or more below sticker. My 2cents.

Its funny because in most comparison tests, the GT350 has beat some of the cars you list in driver feel/ engagement -

I am taking it your GT is daily? what else you got in the garage right now?

I have friends that own (and I have a good amount of seat time in) R8 V10 Performances, Huracans (Technica and EVO 2 wheel drive) , NSX NC2s, - I have driven C5, C6, and C7 Z06s - a few GT500s- Definitely a difference in purpose built car vs. the rental car bones in these Mustangs

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
ever let go of a current gen Camaro ZL1
If you have the A10 I can see how/why. But the Ford A10 blows chunks compared to the GM. If you have the ZL1 with the correct transmission, then I would suggest the Mach1 over the DH. M1s are downright cheap now.

ArthurJGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 GTO, '06 GTO, '22 Expy, '22 F-250, '24 Mustang
I had a 6th gen ZL1 that I sold recently and I have a 24 on order.

I was looking at a GT350 but the performance numbers vs the 24 GT are nearly identical and for the same money I can get a GT with a Whipple, which is what I'll be doing as soon as I get the VIN.

The largest difference to me between the Z and GT (other than power which is an easy fix) is the ergnomonics. The interior of the Camaro was horrid and uncomfortable to drive, where as I fit in the Mustang with ease and things are laid out in a much better location.

cstraley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its funny because in most comparison tests, the GT350 has beat some of the cars you list in driver feel/ engagement -

I am taking it your GT is daily? what else you got in the garage right now?

I have friends that own (and I have a good amount of seat time in) R8 V10 Performances, Huracans (Technica and EVO 2 wheel drive) , NSX NC2s, - I have driven C5, C6, and C7 Z06s - a few GT500s- Definitely a difference in purpose built car vs. the rental car bones in these Mustangs
I used to own most of those cars all at once. I recently sold most of them to invest in my business. I have a 24 Tundra I DD. I have a 23 M240i, I drive the Mustang on the weekends and maybe a day or two during the week. I can't imagine the GT350 beating any of the cars I mentioned lol. I have owned most of the BMW M cars and several Mercedes too. I am not certain I will be keeping the Mustang as everyone wants to race it on the road. They all think it is slow. The GT350 is probably quick if you take it to redline in every gear which I find tiresome. My supercharged manuals were much more engaging because there was so much torque available. I understand some people like to wring them out tho. The GT350 suspension with magride is bouncy imo, like a bad air ride feel to me and the interior feels antiquated in comparison to the S650. The Mustang ride is very good now imo but it's not a sharp handling car but much more of a GT car imo. I almost traded the Mustang in for a loaded up C8 with 2k miles but I couldn't do it... The Mustang is more comfortable omg what is wrong with me.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
I used to own most of those cars all at once. I recently sold most of them to invest in my business. I have a 24 Tundra I DD. I have a 23 M240i, I drive the Mustang on the weekends and maybe a day or two during the week. I can't imagine the GT350 beating any of the cars I mentioned lol. I have owned most of the BMW M cars and several Mercedes too. I am not certain I will be keeping the Mustang as everyone wants to race it on the road. They all think it is slow. The GT350 is probably quick if you take it to redline in every gear which I find tiresome. My supercharged manuals were much more engaging because there was so much torque available. I understand some people like to wring them out tho. The GT350 suspension with magride is bouncy imo, like a bad air ride feel to me and the interior feels antiquated in comparison to the S650. The Mustang ride is very good now imo but it's not a sharp handling car but much more of a GT car imo. I almost traded the Mustang in for a loaded up C8 with 2k miles but I couldn't do it... The Mustang is more comfortable omg what is wrong with me.

Yes I agree with everything you said- the GT350 is definitely not for everyone- and yes compared to a GT500- it definitely feels pretty damn weak down low - you definitely have to rev it up for maximum enjoyment .... and yes the ride is definitely stiff

C8s are interesting to me- Ive almost bought one about 3-4 times- but its just a little too quiet- a little too soft- not sure what it is- I would love to do a C8 Z06- but I think they will come down similar to C8 after excitement wears off

As far as comparison tests - definitely not faster and not to be a douche bag magazine guy but ....Im about to be one of those douche bag magazine guys lol

All 12 Best Driver’s Car Contenders Ranked (motortrend.com)

2016 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car

Sports Car Showdown: Supra vs. M2 vs. Shelby GT350 vs. 718 Cayman (caranddriver.com)

2020 Toyota GR Supra vs. 2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 (caranddriver.com)

Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 VS BMW M2 -TRACK REVIEW // One Track Mind Ep. 4 (youtube.com)

Mustang Shelby GT350R vs Camaro ZL1 - Rivalry | Everyday Driver TV Season 2 (youtube.com)

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
I have been thinking about getting a 23 or 24 M240i xdrive. Can you give me your thoughts on it as a replacement for my 2016 GT?

cstraley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I agree with everything you said- the GT350 is definitely not for everyone- and yes compared to a GT500- it definitely feels pretty damn weak down low - you definitely have to rev it up for maximum enjoyment .... and yes the ride is definitely stiff

C8s are interesting to me- Ive almost bought one about 3-4 times- but its just a little too quiet- a little too soft- not sure what it is- I would love to do a C8 Z06- but I think they will come down similar to C8 after excitement wears off

As far as comparison tests - definitely not faster and not to be a douche bag magazine guy but ....Im about to be one of those douche bag magazine guys lol

All 12 Best Driver’s Car Contenders Ranked (motortrend.com)

2016 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car

Sports Car Showdown: Supra vs. M2 vs. Shelby GT350 vs. 718 Cayman (caranddriver.com)

2020 Toyota GR Supra vs. 2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 (caranddriver.com)

Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 VS BMW M2 -TRACK REVIEW // One Track Mind Ep. 4 (youtube.com)

Mustang Shelby GT350R vs Camaro ZL1 - Rivalry | Everyday Driver TV Season 2 (youtube.com)
I know how the magazines and car reviewers like the GT350. I love it's look even more than the S650 but I personally don't like it's ride characteristics. I was bummed a little about it. It's obviously just me...? I can deal with a rough ride so that's not it. The ride is bouncy to my perception and not in a good way. Many people obviously perceive it differently.

cstraley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been thinking about getting a 23 or 24 M240i xdrive. Can you give me your thoughts on it as a replacement for my 2016 GT?
[/QUOTE]
I have owned the last 2 model M4 Comps the 2021 was non awd, and a 2020 M2 CS (100k) none of which could get the power down and were very squirrely. The cars did eat the road up at speed and handled amazing. Their ride quality was firm but agreeable imo. Due to the vehicles rarely ever able to put down power I never contemplated racing anyone from a dig or even from stoplight to stoplight which happens quite often in certain places where I live. This drove me nuts because half the time when I would nail it there would be a very embarrassing display of wheel spin and slow ass cars could look fast next to you. Then the M240i came out with the nice digital dash (imo) very much like the S650 and awd. I had the new M2 coming in and the dealer received this purple M240i and I thought maybe i''ll drive it. Well I drove it expecting to be disappointed and I was wowed. It's feels like a raped ape taking off in town and puts the power down fantastically. It is softer in handling than the M2 and it is pretty quiet except for the farting during shifts lol. I can accelerate and hit uneven bends in the road that gave many of my cars problems with ease. Overall the S650 would walk it after about 80mph I think but before that the M240i would always be faster. My wife stole it from me and I was actually going to buy another and bailed then I saw the first new S650 at my dealer and I purchased it. The M240i feels more composed imo. The S650 especially after exhaust upgrade sounds ridiculously good in comparison. The M240i is a fantastic car for the money and the best deal BMW has going imo. Going from your S550 to the M240i will be a huge upgrade imo if you like speed and refinement.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
The ride is bouncy to my perception and not in a good way. Many people obviously perceive it differently.
replace at least the front dampers with SKU from Mach1/GT500. Doubles the rebound damping. I'm not certain on the changes to the rear shocks but could be same. It is pitiful how bad a job Ford did with MR and also the programming when they had the ZL1 and SS/1LE in their hands to benchmark against.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
The M240i is a fantastic car for the money and the best deal BMW has going imo. Going from your S550 to the M240i will be a huge upgrade imo if you like speed and refinement.
except the thing only comes with a slush-box. GD it BMW when will you damn Bavarians learn Real Drivers drive STICK.

cstraley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
except the thing only comes with a slush-box. GD it BMW when will you damn Bavarians learn Real Drivers drive STICK.
At least it's a pretty good slush box!
Sponsored