• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

ZL1 >>>> to a GT or DH?

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Dark Horse M6, 2020 EB HPP
I've owned a 2020 GT PP with blower, 2023 M240I, 2023 M3 Comp Xdrive, ZL1, and now a 2024 Dark Horse.

ZL1 has been my all time favorite track car and was about to get another before the DH. ZL1 to an S550 is a massive let down. Chassis is nowhere near as composed, throttle management is a joke. The DH is an entirely different story. Haven't taken it to the track yet as it's still too cold here, but very excited to see how it does. On back roads the chassis and suspension is VERY similar. Great turn in and composure. Throttle management is much better as well as continually putting power down which has always been my complaint in the mustang. The DH to me (from someone who tracked their ZL1 as well as all of my other cars) is by far the closest to the ZL1 and very confidence inspiring. Feels much like a ZL1 with lesser road feel and down on power (I think the DH with about 620 to the wheels would be the sweet spot).

Interior wise I think it's a nice upgrade but for performance driving the ZL1 interior is superior in my opinion.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TTown

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Camaro ZL1 (prev. 2019 Mustang GT; 2025?)
My only gripes with the ZL1 are as follows: 1. Getting in and out is a chore due to the seat bolstering and door orientation. I try to delicately get into it so as not to constantly abuse the seat bottom and side bolster. I don't want it to look liks shit at 10,000 miles. 2. Unless I'm absolutley hammering the gas, its almost quiet sedan like. That's probaby where the ZL1 A10 is a let-down (mechanically of course it's great). My 2019 mustang GT would sound good at all speeds, all RPMs, just tooling around town, etc. No need to flog it to grin. It was simply more satisfying to the soul, so to speak. Granted, the ZL1 handles light years better, has eye opening acceleration, and I think is simply a better sports/muscle car than the S550 I had. I think the ZL1 build quality is quite a bit better than what I experienced with the regular S550 GT I had too. I used to bad mouth the Camaro's visibility; but, quite honestly, it's doesn't bother me at all. It's possible a DH might be a better fit for me - not sure. Possibly the hands down better sound with still decent handling and acceleration might be where I need to end up. To be determined I guess.

In short, to this point, I think I'd say this about the ZL1 A10. I like the car. I just can't say I love it.

That might be a reason why you see so many of them unloaded by the first owner at less than 5,000 miles.

Last edited:

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
My only gripes with the ZL1 are as follows: 1. Getting in and out is a chore due to the seat bolstering and door orientation. I try to delicately get into it so as not to constantly abuse the seat bottom and side bolster. I don't want it to look liks shit at 10,000 miles. 2. Unless I'm absolutley hammering the gas, its almost quiet sedan like. That's probaby where in the ZL1 the A10 is a let down (mechanically of course it's great). My 2019 mustang GT would sound good at all speeds, all RPMs, just tooling around town, etc. No need to flog it to grin. It was simply more satisfying to the soul, so to speak. Granted, the ZL1 handles light years better, has eye opening acceleration, and I think is simply a better sports/muscle car than the S550 I had. I think the ZL1 build quality is quite a bit better than what I experienced in with the regular S550 GT I had too. I used to bad mouth the Camaro's visibility; but, quite honestly, it's doesn't bother me at all. It's possible a DH might be a better fit for me - not sure. Possibly the hands down better sound with still decent handling and acceleration might be where I need to end up. To be determined I guess.

In short, to this point, I think I'd say this about the ZL1 A10. I like the car. I just can't say I love it.
Yes- I understand what you are saying....

Its my main grip with the GT500 as well- when driving normally, its almost too civil- same problem I have with the C8- unless you are hammering the crap out of them- they ....

I mean I dislike how "slow" my car is compared to the Zl1 / GT500 in a straight line- but I love the way ..well the driver feedback....I believe someone described it as - its like a little kid that never shuts up - many might find it annoying....but personally I love it

I still need to drive a 1LE (I have only driven "base" ZL1) and a Dark Horse to see how they compare

The build quality on the ZL1 would have to be pretty crappy to be worst then my car
panel gaps on my car are crazy horrible - but at 8000 RPM I tend to forget that part lol

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Dark Horse M6, 2020 EB HPP
Man that's crazy my ZL1 was far louder stock than my DH is. Especially taking the fuse out and dropping the back seats.

But I will say the ZL1 is NIGHT AND DAY difference in handling compared to the s550. The 550 just handles like crap and is too loose in the rear end and throttle. Whereas the ZL1 let's you know everything it is going to do.

But the S650? Different story. At least in dark horse trim. It handles and puts the power down far better. Really can't wait to get it on the track

OP
OP
TTown

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Camaro ZL1 (prev. 2019 Mustang GT; 2025?)
I mean I dislike how "slow" my car is compared to the Zl1 / GT500 in a straight line- but I love the way ..well the driver feedback....I believe someone described it as - its like a little kid that never shuts up - many might find it annoying....but personally I love it
That really resonates with me. I guess I'm more enamored with a sports/muscle car's sound and aura - how it affects your senses (as corny as that may sound) than simply what it can do in a 1/4 mile and which is the most badass "track weapon" (a place I'll probably never be). Don't get me wrong - I like 0-60 blasting around and whatnot. But that's not the full story. Maybe not even the most important aspect.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
That really resonates with me. I guess I'm more enamored with a sports/muscle car's sound and aura - how it affects your senses (as corny as that may sound) than simply what it can do in a 1/4 mile and which is the most badass on a "track weapon". Don't get me wrong - I like 0-60 blasting around and whatnot. But that's not the full story. Maybe not even the most important aspect.
Yep I get you- if you just want all out speed- get a Tesla ....
I have friends that have...more financial freedom then I do lol and well ....its like most Huracan guys (well in my friends circles anyways) - they all prefer the 2WD to the AWD because even though its slower- they feel the 2WD cars are more "raw"

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
That really resonates with me. I guess I'm more enamored with a sports/muscle car's sound and aura - how it affects your senses (as corny as that may sound) than simply what it can do in a 1/4 mile and which is the most badass "track weapon" (a place I'll probably never be). Don't get me wrong - I like 0-60 blasting around and whatnot. But that's not the full story. Maybe not even the most important aspect.
Honestly based on what you want you'd probably be fine with a GT PP1. Like I said in my original post unless you just want a DH to say you have a DH, if you just care about noise and speed the DH isn't any faster than the GT. The GT has a better power-to-weight ratio and between driving both I couldn't tell a difference at all in speed.

I've said a few times the worst thing the dealership did is let me test drive a DH. I wanted one just to have one, but then they let me drive it which I didn't expect them to. After I asked to drive a GT to compare and realized that the DH definitely handled better, but speed wise which was what I cared most about - they were pretty much the exact same.

But I will say this, which I've also said multiple times in other threads - if you are looking at a loaded GT Premium and a DH but don't get A/Z plan then get the DH. It's only like an extra 6-7k. In my case I got the A/Z plan so it knocked my GT from almost 61k to 54.5k, so it was a 13k difference between it and the DH. If I didn't have the A/Z plan I'd have just gotten the Dark Horse for the extra 6k.

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
I still need to drive a 1LE (I have only driven "base" ZL1)
the ZL1/1LE aka ZLE has spool-valve Multimatic suspension. It is a "committed" choice. I drove one for half an hour on normal streets. I didn't mind it but many find it a bit over the top.

The ZL1 is like a big electric motor - torque everywhere. I prefered my SS/1LE simply because once you got the GM strangle tune out of the way, the motor would zing to redline and fill the air with sweet sweet N/A chorus.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Atlas Blue GT
My opinion would be both. The worst part is trying to decide which one to drive today. The GT is a real pleasure to drive but becomes boring. The ZL1 is just flat out an animal that is one of the most engaging cars on the market. I will say my ZL1 is holding what I paid for it and the GT is dropping like a fucking brick. The DH is a total rip off for the money.

S650 Mustang ZL1 >>>> to a GT or DH? IMG_20231003_161611

Killshot58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Premium GT, Vapor Blue, Nite Pony Pkg
If you have the A10 I can see how/why. But the Ford A10 blows chunks compared to the GM. If you have the ZL1 with the correct transmission, then I would suggest the Mach1 over the DH. M1s are downright cheap now.
Hmm...I have the A10 and believe it or not, it's not blowing chunks.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
I tried to buy a ZL-1 from a neighbor with cash flow problem, and the car really drives nice, but sucks from an interior point of view, GT guys will tell you that the Dark Horse isn't better than a GT, but that is only because they have a GT and not a Dark Horse. In my opinion, the Camaro is more powerful, but in reality, as a daily driver, you really can't use more than 500HP, My Corvette has more than 500 and I enjoy my Mustang more as a daily than the Corvette. Just my opinion.

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT guys will tell you that the Dark Horse isn't better than a GT, but that is only because they have a GT and not a Dark Horse. In my opinion, the Camaro is more powerful, but in reality, as a daily driver, you really can't use more than 500HP, My Corvette has more than 500 and I enjoy my Mustang more as a daily than the Corvette. Just my opinion.
A couple things here... I think saying everyone who is saying get a GT over a DH is saying it because they got a GT and not a DH is a bit dishonest. I drove both and was fully intent on getting the DH but after test driving them both it isn't any faster than the GT. The 14hp difference is negated by the extra weight in the DH. It isn't like a Shelby GT350 vs. a GT in 2015 where the GT was 435hp and the GT350 was 526hp.

In terms of pure speed which is what most people who won't track the car care about they're equal, with the GT actually having an ever so slightly better power-to-weight ratio. As a track car though the DH is way better. It's a give and take with both. The GT is a better daily and actually has more options on it, where-as the DH is a better 2nd car or better option if you are going to track it.

I also disagree regarding not being able to use more than 500hp on the street. You absolutely can feel a difference. When I had a Challenger Scat Pack I could absolutely feel the power difference between that and a Hellcat. You still accelerate, hit some turns, etc. How you feel just about everything is faster in a car with much higher HP.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
A couple things here... I think saying everyone who is saying get a GT over a DH is saying it because they got a GT and not a DH is a bit dishonest. I drove both and was fully intent on getting the DH but after test driving them both it isn't any faster than the GT. The 14hp difference is negated by the extra weight in the DH. It isn't like a Shelby GT350 vs. a GT in 2015 where the GT was 435hp and the GT350 was 526hp.

In terms of pure speed which is what most people who won't track the car care about they're equal, with the GT actually having an ever so slightly better power-to-weight ratio. As a track car though the DH is way better. It's a give and take with both. The GT is a better daily and actually has more options on it, where-as the DH is a better 2nd car or better option if you are going to track it.

I also disagree regarding not being able to use more than 500hp on the street. You absolutely can feel a difference. When I had a Challenger Scat Pack I could absolutely feel the power difference between that and a Hellcat. You still accelerate, hit some turns, etc. How you feel just about everything is faster in a car with much higher HP.
You are open to your opinion, I stated clearly that mine was my opinion. I have both am S550 GT and a Dark Horse as well s a 650HP Corvette in my garage, and stick by my opinion.

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are open to your opinion, I stated clearly that mine was my opinion. I have both am S550 GT and a Dark Horse as well s a 650HP Corvette in my garage, and stick by my opinion.
That's fine. I'm just saying for some people the GT is better than the DH. The GT has more features on it to make it a better daily if you prefer full leather to alcantera and stuff like cooled seats which the DH oddly doesn't have, speed wise they're the same, but track wise the DH is the better car. Again, it's a give and take. Saying GT owners say it's better because they don't have a DH just sounds like you're salty someone is putting your car down. They're both great cars and we recognize them for what they do great.

I got to drive both cars fully loaded and have a good handle on their differences.
Sponsored