• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

The V8 - S650 and beyond

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I smaller, more responsive 4.2l v8 turbo....

^^
Sponsored

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
With gasoline possibly going to $6/gallon and staying there (+/- $1/gallon) the economics of owning a 5.0 change drastically. The fossil fuel industry has to get the money out of their assets before the world gets off of oil so it is possible that higher gasoline prices are here to stay. The lifetime (150,000 miles) fuel cost on a V8 goes from ~$24,000 ($3/gal) to $48,000. Assuming overall mileage of ~19mpg. I'm lucky to get that because I can't keep my foot out of it! The switch to electric/hybrid is going to happen much faster than you expect it to. Lithium supply, cobalt (for now), scaling up battery production, recapitalizing, misinformation and some other factors are at play. The V8 may end up being a much smaller portion of the total Mustangs produced, unless Ford figures out a way to hybridize it somehow to make the economics more attractive. A PHEV version with the ability to run on Otto or Atkinson with a small removable battery would do the trick. The cost premium would be offset by the savings in fuel. When you want the 5.0 old school feel and sound just put it in "Track or Sport" mode to switch to Otto with or without electric assist. A 500HP and AWD hybrid could be a good combination. It's possible to make the battery removable for track days too(assuming a pack weight of around 250-300lbs and having it modular so individual packs are manageable for removal ). Even if this adds a $10,000 premium to the price of a V8 it would be worth it for the fuel savings over the life of the car if it's a DD. The Mustang is meant to have a V8 and not be just a garage queen!
Yeah, I think one of three things is going to happen with the mustang movie forward. 1. Ford just makes everything related to the mustang all electric, not a terrible idea, but it would probably upset a handful of hardcore mustang enthusiasts. 2. Ford keeps the v8, but only in exclusive high end models, like the gt500. 3. Ford continues to offer the v8 as a hydrogen powered engine alongside ev offerings. This is the future I want to see with the mustang. Clearly, anyone who isn't a complete sociopath agrees we have to do something about climate change. But I also hear the arguments of how enthusiasts want something similar to ICE to stick around. Hydrogen powertrains should keep these individuals satisfied.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Hydrogen powertrains should keep these individuals satisfied.
we'll have NATgas way before something as pointless and frankly dangerous as hydrogen. Oil and thus gasoline and diesel will ALWAYS be available and "plentiful" for some definition of that term. Modern life REQUIRES oil byproducts to function.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
The only hydrogen engine I've "heard" was from a POV video showcasing the current Toyota Mirai, and from what I could tell it was practically silent. I can't imagine that experience carrying over to the next Mustang going well with enthusiasts.

21 antimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Refined million mile batteries with 2 or 3 times current energy density, autonomous taxis, AI managed ride sharing...the future will be here faster than we imagine. Transportation is going to change fundamentally, it has to in order to prevent catastrophic climate change. Owning your own vehicle will become a luxury. It all boils down to cost per mile, and the Elon Musks of the world already have a plan! The fight in the near term is for control of the future energy supply and any other commodities that spring out of this. Fortunes are being lost as others are being made. Not the first time in history this has happened, just the first time in the last century on this scale (with the exception of the impact of solid state electronics/computers/internet). The wealthy people (not rich people...if you understand the difference) whom you don't even know about that have the vision and who understand how science, technology, finance, business and politics (mainly geopolitics, not the US propaganda misinformation machine politics of DC) are all intertwined will come out on top. Just study history a tiny bit and the future is not hard to see.

Last edited:

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
we'll have NATgas way before something as pointless and frankly dangerous as hydrogen. Oil and thus gasoline and diesel will ALWAYS be available and "plentiful" for some definition of that term. Modern life REQUIRES oil byproducts to function.
So just keep around tech that's slowly making the earth uninhabitable lol? I'm not saying hydrogen and evs powered vehicles are perfect. But they're a lot better than the alternative of just sticking with what we have and doing nothing.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
The only hydrogen engine I've "heard" was from a POV video showcasing the current Toyota Mirai, and from what I could tell it was practically silent. I can't imagine that experience carrying over to the next Mustang going well with enthusiasts.

I believe that's a 3 cylinder or 4. Sounds better than most smaller gas engines imo.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
So just keep around tech that's slowly making the earth uninhabitable lol?
when you argue "solutions and prescriptions" from a completely discredited and repeatedly shown to be false premise, nothing else matters.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
when you argue "solutions and prescriptions" from a completely discredited and repeatedly shown to be false premise, nothing else matters.
I presume you're taking about climate change? That's been proven time and time again man. The earth has been shown to have many cycles of temperatures trending up and down over and over for billions of years. Humans didn't spark this trend of increasing global temperatures. But there's concrete evidence that proves our actions have accelerated and worsened this current trend of increasing temps.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
The stupid part is the argument that “we can make a v6 with twin turbos that’s more powerful than a v8.”

the reality is that:

1) the Chevy z06 proves that wrong.

2) if you do that to the v6, you should do it to the v8. Turbos are better for power and fuel economy than supercharging. Make a muscleboost v8 that gets better economy and great power.

The v6 argument has no place. That only reason they throw that out there is to prep the audience for dropping the 8 in a few years.

As others have said, they can also make an electric hybrid.

even if they go back to making a smaller 260 or 289 CI engine as homage to the original car (and keep the v8 characteristics, sound, etc) they can make up the difference with the electric motors.

there are so many things to do besides “oh v6 turbo.” So stupid. Of course a TURBO 6 wil be more powerful than some NATURALLY ASPIRATED V8s. It a turbo 8 will demolish the 6 and get good economy as well.

the car guys at ford need to start figuring out how to beat the flower children in the boardroom.
So you want to compare the engine of a most likely $120k+ car to an engine that somehow has to bei in sub $40k car?

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
in this day and age, auto manufacturers (and Ford in particular) should just license each other their engines and be done with it.
Yeah I fully agree. Aston Martin does exactly that. Unfortunately if Ford were to do the same it would stir up an endless and nasty discussion, because... 'Murica.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Refined million mile batteries with 2 or 3 times current energy density, autonomous taxis, AI managed ride sharing...the future will be here faster than we imagine. Transportation is going to change fundamentally, it has to in order to prevent catastrophic climate change. Owning your own vehicle will become a luxury. It all boils down to cost per mile, and the Elon Musks of the world already have a plan! The fight in the near term is for control of the future energy supply and any other commodities that spring out of this. Fortunes are being lost as others are being made. Not the first time in history this has happened, just the first time in the last century on this scale (with the exception of the impact of solid state electronics/computers/internet). The wealthy people (not rich people...if you understand the difference) whom you don't even know about that have the vision and who understand how science, technology, finance, business and politics (mainly geopolitics, not the US propaganda misinformation machine politics of DC) are all intertwined will come out on top. Just study history a tiny bit and the future is not hard to see.
Not until the infrastructure and public transportation support it.

Public works like a Mag-Lev train from NYC to LA (in 6h), should already be drafted and presented to the American People.... (ie: 4 lanes with one 2 stacked freight). Costing $20 Trillion to build-out and after 25 years there would be few Domestic flights in the United States... !

That alone would eliminate nearly 70% of the fuel usage in United States^

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, I think one of three things is going to happen with the mustang movie forward. 1. Ford just makes everything related to the mustang all electric, not a terrible idea, but it would probably upset a handful of hardcore mustang enthusiasts. 2. Ford keeps the v8, but only in exclusive high end models, like the gt500. 3. Ford continues to offer the v8 as a hydrogen powered engine alongside ev offerings. This is the future I want to see with the mustang. Clearly, anyone who isn't a complete sociopath agrees we have to do something about climate change. But I also hear the arguments of how enthusiasts want something similar to ICE to stick around. Hydrogen powertrains should keep these individuals satisfied.
I hope you're wrong about how many people think like you. But it's possible you are correct and we are about to repeat history similar to what happened in 1974 - with most new cars not being worth purchasing.

Hydrogen and gasoline are fairly similar as far as how flamable they are. But I agree there are a lot of natural resources left as far as oil and natural gas go. The nice thing about natural gas is that gasoline engines can be converted to burn it.

So just keep around tech that's slowly making the earth uninhabitable lol? I'm not saying hydrogen and evs powered vehicles are perfect. But they're a lot better than the alternative of just sticking with what we have and doing nothing.
If you really believe that, you probably shouldn't be driving a gas powered vehicle.

I presume you're taking about climate change? That's been proven time and time again man. The earth has been shown to have many cycles of temperatures trending up and down over and over for billions of years. Humans didn't spark this trend of increasing global temperatures. But there's concrete evidence that proves our actions have accelerated and worsened this current trend of increasing temps.
You are talking about theories, not facts. There is actually a difference and I wish you would stop pushing your politics in this thread.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
You are talking about theories, not facts. There is actually a difference and I wish you would stop pushing your politics in this thread.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed, it is just a theory. But a theory that has a considerable amount of evidence to support it. When you get down to it, virtually everything that influences our beliefs and opinions is just a theory. We can't really definitively or factually prove much about the universe or our existence. The best we can do is make educated guesses based on known information, conduct additional experiments, and hope our findings closely resemble reality. I don't really see climate change as a political issue, at least it shouldn't be one. I'm a moderate/slightly conservative individual. Most of the people I've met who are my age agree climate change is a considerable issue, regardless of their political beliefs.
Sponsored