• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Shelby GT500 S650 mule / prototype spied testing?

Vickstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
https://fordauthority.com/2022/08/is-this-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-an-s650-test-bed/

Ford Authority spies recently snapped a series of two new photos that suggests Ford is possibly using a current-gen model to test a potential S650 GT500, which could be a hint that a next-gen model is in development.
Perhaps the most interesting part of this Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 is the bundle of wires hanging out of the passenger side window. It’s not clear what their purpose is, but it could indicate that The Blue Oval is currently testing electrical components on a current generation model. With that in mind, it’s entirely possible that this could be the Fully Networked Vehicle Electrical Architecture, or FNV for short.
The purpose of the Ford FNV is to allow for over-the-air (OTA) updates for the infotainment system and other critical vehicle systems.
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
possibly using a current-gen model to test a potential S650 GT500
I can see Ford using a GT500 as a test mule, but using it towards developing a S650, GT500? IDK. Seems too soon or even not right, based on past. I welcome anything performance-oriented. I see mule/test bed rather than a new GT500. Boss anyone?

Regarding software updates and all that, enclosed is a recent CNBC article of Ford; it touches on the topic.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/31/for...ns-for-automakers-electric-vehicle-shift.html

“We have an opportunity as we go digital...to simplify our body engineering and put the engineering where customers really care,” Farley said last week. And it’s not a different fender. It’s software. It’s a digital display technology. It’s a self-driving system and the [autonomous vehicle] tech. And of course it’s going to be, in some cases, more powerful motors.

Ford typically redesigns its traditional vehicle models every five to seven years. If it can extend that time by relying on software updates to keep its vehicles fresh, rather than body redesigns, it could save fortunes."

Any number of things being discussed of the future, many good, others great, some not too much. Looking forward to the September reveal and later analyzing all information released.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Thanks for the additional reference.

My first thought is, "Er, why not just go through the Firewall." But then I realized, well, under hood is already dense as it is. It's probably simpler, being a mule, to do just what they did, to make things as realistic as possible with respect to everything else.

Last edited:

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé