• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
I didn’t like the car at the reveal. I stayed away for a few weeks and came back to see if it was just bad photography.
I hate it now. Super clunky exterior that has lost most of its design cohesiveness. Barely looks like a mustang. This will not age well. At all. The interior finally has some modern tech but nothing about the design suggests any mustang DNA and it doesn’t look upscale. No super quick hybrid? 7 or 8 more years for an all wheel drive electric? It’s time to move forward but this car is like the people who still think Trump was cheated in 2020. Stuck in the past. I want to like it because I’ve been a mustang and Ford fan since birth and have owned several along the way and just traded my s550 on a bronco. But no way on this one.
Screw it. I’m out.
Doesn't look like a Mustang? Won't age well?

S650 Mustang S650 - The designers speak Capture

S650 Mustang S650 - The designers speak IMG_2236

Ok, dude👌🤣
Sponsored

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I didn’t like the car at the reveal. I stayed away for a few weeks and came back to see if it was just bad photography.
I hate it now. Super clunky exterior that has lost most of its design cohesiveness. Barely looks like a mustang. This will not age well. At all. The interior finally has some modern tech but nothing about the design suggests any mustang DNA and it doesn’t look upscale. No super quick hybrid? 7 or 8 more years for an all wheel drive electric? It’s time to move forward but this car is like the people who still think Trump was cheated in 2020. Stuck in the past. I want to like it because I’ve been a mustang and Ford fan since birth and have owned several along the way and just traded my s550 on a bronco. But no way on this one.
Screw it. I’m out.
I don't understand takes like this at all. You presumably haven't seen the design in person, yet you're writing it off. I rarely get behind the "It doesn't look like X anymore" comments, they rarely make sense, especially for a car like the mustang. The mustang has had such a wide variety of designs over it's lifespan that it's impossible to say a mustang has to look a certain way. The '65-70, Foxbody, and new edge mustangs all look nothing alike, yet they're all icons that have defined the mustang throughout the ages. Like the original mustangs, this has a long hood, short deck, a fastback, flared fenders, tri-bars elements, and a forward leaning grille. It has all the major design elements you'd expect for a mustang, so it's fair to say it looks like a mustang. The only thing I haven't loved was the softer side surfacing, but it seems like the lines running along the side are more noticable in person. It's clean, it's elegant, it's a nice evolution. This happens everytime a new car is revealed.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco, Audi S5 Cabriolet
I don't understand takes like this at all. You presumably haven't seen the design in person, yet you're writing it off. I rarely get behind the "It doesn't look like X anymore" comments, they rarely make sense, especially for a car like the mustang. The mustang has had such a wide variety of designs over it's lifespan that it's impossible to say a mustang has to look a certain way. The '65-70, Foxbody, and new edge mustangs all look nothing alike, yet they're all icons that have defined the mustang throughout the ages. Like the original mustangs, this has a long hood, short deck, a fastback, flared fenders, tri-bars elements, and a forward leaning grille. It has all the major design elements you'd expect for a mustang, so it's fair to say it looks like a mustang. The only thing I haven't loved was the softer side surfacing, but it seems like the lines running along the side are more noticable in person. It's clean, it's elegant, it's a nice evolution. This happens everytime a new car is revealed.
S650 Mustang S650 - The designers speak 1668489413492

New and different don’t automatically mean good or modern nor do they guarantee timelessness. There have been many iconic models along the way but there have been some missteps, too. Does anyone really want a ‘71-‘73 model? Or a Mustang II? Or a ‘94-2004?

You are correct in that I have not seen the car in person. However, I can see plenty wrong in the photos, most of it having to do with the absence of a single, cohesive design theme.

Here are some things I don’t like:

The hood shape from the grill to the headlight looks clunky. Curvy center transitioning to a awkward plane. This may be a trick of lighting, but it looks bad in most photos.

The design language of the front clip is completely different than that of the 2018 Audi headlights Ford copied and the flanks of the car.

The odd, skinny triangular indent running between the wheels adds nothing but wtf.

The transition from the door to the rear fender bulge is a little reminiscent of the early 2000s Camaro or early mustang. It’s not bad, it just doesn’t look fresh. It’s also doesn’t flow as cleanly as the S550 or the current Camaro.

The S650 quarter window treatment is not nearly as elegant or iconic-looking as that of the S550

S650 Mustang S650 - The designers speak 1668490229099
Weirdly, The taillights are now arrows instead of slashes, which remind me a little of the Civic Type R. From the angle shown here, the left tail light will look like it’s indicating a right turn. I wonder if this will become a hazard. It makes one think of road construction signs.

I hate beating a dead horse but the rear is a completely different design language than the front end.

Why does it have a 2008 GT-R spoiler?

The interior suffers from the same lack of cohesion. Steering wheel and vents go well enough together for a Fox-body time machine but come from a different era than the glued-on-tablet-looking screens. Throw in some current issue console and door panels that don’t flow into the dash or the rear seat interior panels and you’ve got a bit of a mess. Great to have modern tech but execution could have been prettier. SHOULD have been prettier.

As a whole, it looks more like a first attempt at a refresh where a committee tries out a bunch of ideas and then they forgot to edit it and tie it all together.
It looks okay. It’s just not good design nor is it beautiful. It makes me think of an aging actor with after a face-lift and some Botox wearing an Ed Hardy t-shirt. It doesn’t look bad, just weird, and you have no idea what year it is.

I think Ford needs to look to Porsche and Aston Martin for inspiration on how to evolve an iconic car.

I could go on but I’m tired.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
1668489413492.jpeg

New and different don’t automatically mean good or modern nor do they guarantee timelessness. There have been many iconic models along the way but there have been some missteps, too. Does anyone really want a ‘71-‘73 model? Or a Mustang II? Or a ‘94-2004?

You are correct in that I have not seen the car in person. However, I can see plenty wrong in the photos, most of it having to do with the absence of a single, cohesive design theme.

Here are some things I don’t like:

The hood shape from the grill to the headlight looks clunky. Curvy center transitioning to a awkward plane. This may be a trick of lighting, but it looks bad in most photos.

The design language of the front clip is completely different than that of the 2018 Audi headlights Ford copied and the flanks of the car.

The odd, skinny triangular indent running between the wheels adds nothing but wtf.

The transition from the door to the rear fender bulge is a little reminiscent of the early 2000s Camaro or early mustang. It’s not bad, it just doesn’t look fresh. It’s also doesn’t flow as cleanly as the S550 or the current Camaro.

The S650 quarter window treatment is not nearly as elegant or iconic-looking as that of the S550

1668490229099.jpeg
Weirdly, The taillights are now arrows instead of slashes, which remind me a little of the Civic Type R. From the angle shown here, the left tail light will look like it’s indicating a right turn. I wonder if this will become a hazard. It makes one think of road construction signs.

I hate beating a dead horse but the rear is a completely different design language than the front end.

Why does it have a 2008 GT-R spoiler?

The interior suffers from the same lack of cohesion. Steering wheel and vents go well enough together for a Fox-body time machine but come from a different era than the glued-on-tablet-looking screens. Throw in some current issue console and door panels that don’t flow into the dash or the rear seat interior panels and you’ve got a bit of a mess. Great to have modern tech but execution could have been prettier. SHOULD have been prettier.

As a whole, it looks more like a first attempt at a refresh where a committee tries out a bunch of ideas and then they forgot to edit it and tie it all together.
It looks okay. It’s just not good design nor is it beautiful. It makes me think of an aging actor with after a face-lift and some Botox wearing an Ed Hardy t-shirt. It doesn’t look bad, just weird, and you have no idea what year it is.

I think Ford needs to look to Porsche and Aston Martin for inspiration on how to evolve an iconic car.

I could go on but I’m tired.
Amazing, this is so confidently written but the take is so off. More motivation to do a design breakdown on my end since you’re not grasping the basic design elements.

I have serious concerns for you if you see those taillights as a hazard. Then again, with those takes, I guess it makes sense.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
I have to completely disagree with that it doesn't have a coherent styling or theme. Compared to the 2018 the design is much more though through on every single detail. Just a quick visual help to see that from frontend to the end they finally made design line up perfectly. Even the angle of the wing is pointed towards the shoulders. And still the high wing is just optional if you don't like it.
The 2018 doesn't line up at all. The frontend is doing whatever it wants, not following anything.
S650 Mustang S650 - The designers speak 1668503874116

Even if you look at the full body it's so much cleaner. One clear flow from roof across the frontend. The 18 in comparison constantly started new lines somewhere that don't flow into anything making it look like different ideas thrown together.
S650 Mustang S650 - The designers speak 1668504369618

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Completing a Ford Purchase Survey this AM, some insight on topics covered...

Throughout the survey, it was clearly identified I'd purchased a Mustang. Questions consistently asked how I'd compared the Mustang to the following, before making the purchase decision:

- Subaru WRX
- Mini Cooper E
- Mazda Miata
- KIA Stinger

There were also several purchase consideration questions related to EVs and hybrids.

The survey hints to Ford expanding on its ideas of turning the Mustang name into a brand or sports car line with multiple model types.

Last edited:

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
1668489413492.jpeg

photos, most of it having to do with the absence of a single, cohesive design theme.

I hate it when people do a 1-liner 'metoo' post but I'm gonna break my rule and be guilty of the same. It really does look like 4 different groups were given a quadrant and then they laid the tracing papers on top and wiggled things around to sorta line up. I agree It's a complete mishmash of competing influences.

dude is delusional
you need a thesaurus. And anyway nothing in this thread's charter says only "love-in" opinions will be tolerated.
The 18 in comparison constantly started new lines somewhere that don't flow into anything making it look like different ideas thrown together.
maybe this is a case where "purity in following the rules of design" results in a lousy-looking product but where "violating" them (MY18-22) actually looks good?

Last edited:

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
I have to completely disagree with that it doesn't have a coherent styling or theme. Compared to the 2018 the design is much more though through on every single detail. Just a quick visual help to see that from frontend to the end they finally made design line up perfectly. Even the angle of the wing is pointed towards the shoulders. And still the high wing is just optional if you don't like it.
The 2018 doesn't line up at all. The frontend is doing whatever it wants, not following anything.
1668503874116.png

Even if you look at the full body it's so much cleaner. One clear flow from roof across the frontend. The 18 in comparison constantly started new lines somewhere that don't flow into anything making it look like different ideas thrown together.
1668504369618.png
Couldn't disagree more. The 550 has better definition, purpose and cohesiveness. The 650, even though it is a good 'starting' point, does not flow very well. The front and rear look like two different cars thrown together. Ford seemed to hurry it, IMO. Wait 2 more years and I think there will be significant changes for the better.

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
that has nothing to do with it. Bad design is bad design. :)

Emotional and actual investment is 110% irrelevant. I've bought now 1 MY'17 mustang, and 4 MY18+ Mustangs in 4 years. If for some reason my S550 get killed, I ain't buying the S650 ever. Even if you give me one, I'd turn right around and sell it. And buy a Camaro or more likely a CT4V Blackwing.
Top 5 dumbest statements I've seen on the internet. Give it 2 years and this guy will have a new name and be financing his 3rd S650. Why are you here again?

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Give it 2 years and this guy will have a new name and be financing his 3rd S650.
I don't buy crap just because the fan-boys are gooogly-eyed and drunk on Ford Marketing cool-aid.

Maybe you didn't notice my previous statement about not being caught dead in a Mustang prior to S550? I DESPISE all earlier Mustangs except pre-'71. And furthermore I have enough starch to own any future changes in opinion. Don't ascribe to those outside of DC the same spineless nature epitomized by that cesspool of situational beliefs.

And no I'll have no car at all before I buy a S650. And I'm here to pee (provide perspective) in your (single-thought) punch bowl. :)

Last edited:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I don't buy crap just because the fan-boys are gooogly-eyed and drunk on Ford Marketing cool-aid.

Maybe you didn't notice my previous statement about not being caught dead in a Mustang prior to S550? I DESPISE all earlier Mustangs except pre-'71.

And no I'll have no car at all before I buy a S650. And I'm here to pee (provide perspective) in your (single-thought) punch bowl. :)
Liking a car = drunk on marketing kool-aid 🤣😂

Perfect example of the “why doesn’t it look like MY S550 crowd”

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
erfect example of the “why doesn’t it look like MY S550 crowd”
It has nothing to do with "doesn't look like my S550". It doesn't look good period. Why is my opinion automatically irrelevant because I happen to own an S550? What if I only owned motorcycles, an Audi S5 (last of the v8+6mt) and Mazda Protege 5 or Kia Stinger? Would my opinion then count?

I'm hardly saying nobody is allowed to like the S650. That would be stupid. So is claiming an S550 owner has no cause to weigh in and any negative opinion must necessarily be predicated on sour grapes having gotten financially tied down to an "inferior" car now that S650 has broken cover. I can sell every S550 I have today and join the S650 queue if I wanted. I wouldn't even bat an eye taking a material loss if I was convinced. It's not just one thing, it's a slew of problems with the S650 that keep me solidly in the 'no' column.

Do you hear yourselves?

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
It has nothing to do with "doesn't look like my S550". It doesn't look good period. Why is my opinion automatically irrelevant because I happen to own an S550? What if I only owned motorcycles, an Audi S5 (last of the v8+6mt) and Mazda Protege 5 or Kia Stinger? Would my opinion then count?

I'm hardly saying nobody is allowed to like the S650. That would be stupid. So is claiming an S550 owner has no cause to weigh in and any negative opinion must necessarily be predicated on sour grapes having gotten financially tied down to an "inferior" car now that S650 has broken cover. I can sell every S550 I have today and join the S650 queue if I wanted. I wouldn't even bat an eye taking a material loss if I was convinced. It's not just one thing, it's a slew of problems with the S650 that keep me solidly in the 'no' column.

Do you hear yourselves?
It’s literally no different than you diminishing liking the S650 (which you say you have no problem with) to drinking Ford’s marketing kool-aid

Checkmate, mate. We are equally retarded.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Enough with the insults..........just have the decency to respect each other's opinions please.
Sponsored