• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Checked out the S650 at the local dealer for the first time

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Ecoboost "Maggie"
Yeah, the Ecoboost has more umph at low RPMs as it reaches peak torque much earlier than the Coyote. The Coyote doesn't really get into its own until you get up in the RPMs a bit. It pulls quite well after 4k. Kinda hard to test on test drives unless you are able to wind it out during the test drive.
Ohh that's good to know about the coyote! I hope I get to have one for more than half an hour on roads I can exercise it.
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I don't think you mentioned if it was an auto or a manual. As a manual driver I am much more aware of what the engine is doing and as long as I keep it at 2,000 RPMs or less for economy, the engine isn't very impressive. When it slips closer to 3,000 RPMs, you start getting pushed into the seat as the engine wakes up. With a sales man next to you, I suspect you weren't able to push the engine to where it was happy. If you are interested in an upgrade, take you own advice and try a rental car to see what it will do. It doesn't have to be a 2024 as earlier cars should behave in much the same way.

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think you mentioned if it was an auto or a manual. As a manual driver I am much more aware of what the engine is doing and as long as I keep it at 2,000 RPMs or less for economy, the engine isn't very impressive. When it slips closer to 3,000 RPMs, you start getting pushed into the seat as the engine wakes up. With a sales man next to you, I suspect you weren't able to push the engine to where it was happy. If you are interested in an upgrade, take you own advice and try a rental car to see what it will do. It doesn't have to be a 2024 as earlier cars should behave in much the same way.
Thanks for the question, it was an auto. I have cerebral palsy left hemiplegia and cannot drive manual. But, I would love to. I definitely get that, yeah I bet it is much more communicative with what the engine is doing with a stick shift. Definitely, I will look for one on Turo or somewhere to rent for a while :)

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
I test drove the S650 today as mentioned before. It was a good experience but I'm afraid to say what I really thought of the car with how brutal people can be here.
1704163592950.png
Looks like pretty much the same car I ordered except mine is a stick. Same color, wheels, brembos, gt premium convertible.

Curious to hear about the engine drone you mentioned. I didn't notice that on the one I drove but maybe I just missed it. Did this one have active exhaust? If so, what setting was it in?

infinitemberstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse - Blue Ember - MT
Thanks for the share. The TQ is defo a big jump from the s550 days for sure. I had plans of getting myself a s550 GT back in the day and didn’t pull the trigger due to poor torque.
Even though I’m less than 400 miles on my baby atm, she drives real well / great torque noticeable even during the break-in period. I’ve not really gone above 4k rpm’s yet - but I already feel it at 3k while on the on-ramp. She is ready to go anytime!
hope you get more seat time in a rental soon!
PS - been a fan for over 25 years , and I finally own one and I’m really happy!

Pdaddy1280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT on order
Agree with most everyone else. I have a manual with just over 1k miles on it so haven’t pushed it much over 4k rpm’s yet, but it wakes up VERY nicely over that.

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like pretty much the same car I ordered except mine is a stick. Same color, wheels, brembos, gt premium convertible.

Curious to hear about the engine drone you mentioned. I didn't notice that on the one I drove but maybe I just missed it. Did this one have active exhaust? If so, what setting was it in?
Nice! That is so cool you are getting one like this. It did not have active exhaust. The drone was at highway speeds and unlike my Ecoboost (even with aftermarket Pypes Street Pro Touring Axle-Backs, the transmission can find a gear with where I don't have any drone or buzzing. But, with the S650 convertible I drove, at 68-70 MPH it was similar to the dreaded 1,500 RPM done many aftermarket exhausts suffer from (my '07 V6 suffered from it with Magnaflows on it). Who knows though maybe I'm just not used to a convertible? I hope this is helpful.

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
Nice! That is so cool you are getting one like this. It did not have active exhaust. The drone was at highway speeds and unlike my Ecoboost (even with aftermarket Pypes Street Pro Touring Axle-Backs, the transmission can find a gear with where I don't have any drone or buzzing. But, with the S650 convertible I drove, at 68-70 MPH it was similar to the dreaded 1,500 RPM done many aftermarket exhausts suffer from (my '07 V6 suffered from it with Magnaflows on it). Who knows though maybe I'm just not used to a convertible? I hope this is helpful.
Hmm, good point about the convertible. I drove a fast back V8, then a convertible V8 a few weeks later. No doubt the noise level is much higher in the convertible, as is to be expected. But to me I was surprised how little noise there was at cruising speed. Very noticeble while accelerating (which I loved) but seemed to settle nicely one we leveled out at highway speed. The drone on my current Grand Cherokee SRT is awful. It has the dreaded cylider deactivation which cuts out 4 cyliders and creates a bigtime drone in eight, and evern sometimes seventh gear. Compared to that the Mustang seemed like a purring kitten LOL. But yeah definitely a big difference in inside cabin sound from the fastback to convertible. How did you like it appearance wise? I have yet to see a black convertible with that wheel and brake package in person. Did the wheels look good against the black paint?

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the share. The TQ is defo a big jump from the s550 days for sure. I had plans of getting myself a s550 GT back in the day and didn’t pull the trigger due to poor torque.
Even though I’m less than 400 miles on my baby atm, she drives real well / great torque noticeable even during the break-in period. I’ve not really gone above 4k rpm’s yet - but I already feel it at 3k while on the on-ramp. She is ready to go anytime!
hope you get more seat time in a rental soon!
PS - been a fan for over 25 years , and I finally own one and I’m really happy!
You're welcome! I'm glad I could share my experience and real thoughts. I am pleasantly surprised by the kind response. That is great you're already enjoying yours even during the break in period. Yeah, I think my test drive was not a complete indicator of how it feels. Thanks! I hope to find a rental soon. That is so cool you've been a Mustang fan for so long too!

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, good point about the convertible. I drove a fast back V8, then a convertible V8 a few weeks later. No doubt the noise level is much higher in the convertible, as is to be expected. But to me I was surprised how little noise there was at cruising speed. Very noticeble while accelerating (which I loved) but seemed to settle nicely one we leveled out at highway speed. The drone on my current Grand Cherokee SRT is awful. It has the dreaded cylider deactivation which cuts out 4 cyliders and creates a bigtime drone in eight, and evern sometimes seventh gear. Compared to that the Mustang seemed like a purring kitten LOL. But yeah definitely a big difference in inside cabin sound from the fastback to convertible. How did you like it appearance wise? I have yet to see a black convertible with that wheel and brake package in person. Did the wheels look good against the black paint?
Oh yeah maybe it was just the fact of being a convertible versus the coupe I've been used to for 6 plus years? I mean also maybe I am mis remembering the highway drone at cruising speed? But, it just stuck out to me at the time. Also, after the drive, even though the dealer guy knew I wasn't going to be buying at the moment, he had to go through the normal discussion and I was so focused on making sure I didn't get sucked in to any kind of commitment that a lot of my driving impressions could have gotten muddled and or lost. Oof! I always wondered if the cylinder deactivation created drone.

Oh as far as styling, the S650 seems like it has lost some of the charm and muscular feel that the S550 15-17 has (From the get go, I was and still am not a huge fan of the 18-23 refresh). I miss the indentations in the sides to indicate scoops. The front is not my favorite, the grilles are too large. But, oddly the thing I've grown to like the most is the rear. The taillights were hideous to me initially, but it grew on me. I think the rear haunches do seem very similar to the Camaro, but I can look passed that. The car is much better in person than in photos. The one thing I wanted to figure out for myself in person was on the coupes, whether or not they in fact did create new rear quarter window glass and panel stampings. As far as I can tell, it looks brand new and not carryover from S550. It seems like it sweeps up at much sharper angel than S550 and it's angular versus curved.

S650 Mustang Checked out the S650 at the local dealer for the first time 1704299271203

compared to my S550.
S650 Mustang Checked out the S650 at the local dealer for the first time 1704299306364

The wheels were a nice contrast against Gray Matter paint, though, I think those style of wheels look too "retro" to go with the thoroughly modern S650. :)

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very nice photos, thank you.

I'm looking forward to the S650 arriving in UK showroom, as I always make a point of going to see the latest models and/or new colors. We had a Race Red Dark Horse at our 59th Anniversary event, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the GT (I just prefer the GT's front end).

Dealers here should be getting their demo cars in late Feb/March.

Oh, and as nice as the S650 is, the '70 Boss 302, GT and Cobra are absolutely gorgeous!!
Thanks for the kind comment sorry for the late response, I missed your comment! Oh yeah that will be great to see the S650 in the UK. That is cool you saw A Red Dark Horse there. I think I saw your photos. Not too much longer to wait to see them!
Thanks! yeah, I love the classics. It was a nice surprise to see in the showroom.

OP
OP
Crayon

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ListedGuru I hope this tag works, I'm not sure if this is how you do it on these forums.
Sponsored