• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

S650 Rear Styling Debate

Rear Styling: S650 VS S550

• I have no opinion. I know my place.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jmstang66

Performance Media Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Even after seeing it in person, the rear is the worst part of this "new" design for me. It just doesn't flow with the rest of the car. I'm warming up to the front as time goes on and I stay off the forums lol.

Overall it seems like we were all wanting a completely new design and not just s550 3.0...I know I was
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Even after seeing it in person, the rear is the worst part of this "new" design for me. It just doesn't flow with the rest of the car. I'm warming up to the front as time goes on and I stay off the forums lol.

Overall it seems like we were all wanting a completely new design and not just s550 3.0...I know I was
I agree that we wanted a much more thorough redesign and not an s550+.

but itā€™s obvious Ford is saving that for when they are sure how theyā€™ll power it.

for what it is, excluding the dark horse, theyā€™ve done an amazing g job. The GT FLOWS WELL FROM CRONT TO SIDE TO REAR. I love that they both cleaned up the design, made it more futuristic, and more aggressive as well. The rear is what helps quite a bit with that. The angles, the trapezoidal opening, the shrinking of the taillight section, and the diffuser riding high are all contributors and really combine well with theincreased rear quads/haunches, fender wells.

I suspect the 2030 model will be slimmed down, more aerodynamic, and light years faster. Depending on how they power it, there will be plenty of room to design the thing to high heaven. It just sucks that we will all be 7 years older by then. Sheesh. We want to enjoy it at its best while weā€™re young.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
The votes would probably hold more weight if there weren't ridiculous options to offset it.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Thought this would be kind of fun. What are your thoughts on the rear styling of the S650 compared to the outgoing S550 model? Cast your poll!

1667579651461.png
Has anyone photoshopped a ducktail spoiler on the S650 yet?

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2007 GT Coupe
I kinda like the rear of the 650, but that front grill treatment is gonna take me awhile to get used too.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
If I did entertain getting an s650 (unlikely because of the dash), it would have to a black one, which lessens the big, open front grill and makes the rear end, where the lights are, more cohesive.

NS90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GFY
If I did entertain getting an s650 (unlikely because of the dash), it would have to a black one, which lessens the big, open front grill and makes the rear end, where the lights are, more cohesive.
I agree. The only other color exception for me- I was able to see a DMG convertible recently up close driving around where I live, and it complemented the gloss black accents very well and almost appeared to be black (up close you can see the flakes). Really depends on the lighting. I don't believe the pictures we've seen on the forum have done it much justice other than the snaps of the dark horse DMG.

S650 Mustang S650 Rear Styling Debate 9F8D3E18-D38A-4F53-9542-EE8CF665C8EC

S650 Mustang S650 Rear Styling Debate 77EAD725-47E6-4698-8849-435D83EF1630

Last edited:

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. The only other color exception for me- I was able to see a DMG convertible recently up close driving around where I live, and it complemented the gloss black accents very well and almost appeared to be black (up close you can see the flakes). Really depends on the lighting. I don't believe the pictures we've seen on the forum have done it much justice other than the snaps of the dark horse DMG.

9F8D3E18-D38A-4F53-9542-EE8CF665C8EC.jpeg

77EAD725-47E6-4698-8849-435D83EF1630.jpeg
That works, too (same dash though).

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Not a fan of the confused design direction they took on the S650. As someone said before, the front and the back look like they belong on two different cars. They don't mesh at all imo.

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Factory 260 V8 3sp, Caspian Blue
To me, I saw a callback to the 67-68 Mustang when the S650 was revealed. I love the look, and it looks even better in person!
S650 Mustang S650 Rear Styling Debate 271133AA-6A01-4107-82B4-9E76318DDB30
S650 Mustang S650 Rear Styling Debate ED6C39EB-4004-4770-8795-12BF6EFFC3A7

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To me, I saw a callback to the 67-68 Mustang when the S650 was revealed. I love the look, and it looks even better in person!
271133AA-6A01-4107-82B4-9E76318DDB30.jpeg
ED6C39EB-4004-4770-8795-12BF6EFFC3A7.jpeg
Agreed; however, 67, 68 did not have the black surround on the lights, it was body color. Same should be done with the s650 if no rear black panel is used like the s550.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
F

I agree @DeluxeStang. The way you described the connection to Porsche is real! The 911 was always a great sports car but when Porsche came out with the Cayenne the SUV actually saved the company. Everyone wants the cool sleek sexy car like the 911 or Mustang, but most people can't live with those cars on a daily basis whether it is because of local weather conditions, kids, luggage space ect. The Cayenne, Macan and now the Mach E Mustang are the ones that will continue to sell to the masses because they have the style of the sports car that people want. The sale of the SUVs tend to keep the sports car version alive only because it makes profitable sense to do so. Whether we like it or not, the Mustang styled electric SUV is making the V8 engine AND manual transmission last longer, even though deep down we all pretty much know sometime in the future it might disappear entirely.
LOL

You miss the point.
SUVs are the big seller now, right? Of course! So everyone is selling SUVs. (People are conveniently forgetting explorer, edge, escape, bronco, etc.)

but what they arenā€™t doing is pretending that a new SUV is somehow, actually, magically, really a famous sports car that has been around forever.

so the Porsche connection is not connected at all.

it it were the same thing, then the cayenne would be called the 911.

but itā€™s not.

so none of that ā€œPorsche connectionā€ made any sense whatsoever. Entertaining effort though.

so if we were actually looking for a connection, weā€™d see that SUVs sell more than sports cars. Not exactly news. Weā€™d also see that Porsche doesnā€™t have to pretend its sporty grocery getter is a 911. Neither does ford have to pretend theirs is a Mustang. Pretty simple stuff. Iā€™m not Porsche has shown actual logic in the marketing whereas ford insults its customersā€™ intelligence.

mid you were looking for the vehicle that ā€œsavedā€ ford, that would be the f-150 - since forever ago. The Mach e isnā€™t the savior. Letā€™s get back to reality. Thatā€™s 654,000 f-150s to 39,000 Mach Es. Heck, the ford explorer sold 207,000 compared to 39,000 Mach Es. So the whole pretending the Mach e is a mustang may have actually hurt the vehicle compared to naming it something unique and original. No one like being sold a disingenuous marketing scheme.

manā€™s thatā€™s how things are in the real world.

In summary:

• the Mach e isnā€™t a mustang. It just wears the sticker.
    there is no correlation to what Porsche is doing with the cayenne at all.

• the real sales heroes at Ford, ā€œsavingā€ the company are the f-150 and explorer. The Mach e isnā€™t anywhere near those.

• there is noconnection between the actual mustang and the Mach e other than the geniuses sitting around the table in fords boardroom wanted to call it that in the hopes of giving it some free shine that it did not need to earn. Hey, everyone! Free 60 years of heritage for a new vehicle!
Poor Mustang be all ā€œput some respecback on my name!ā€

The end.
Sponsored

Last edited: