• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Oil catch can YES or NO?

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP, 2003 Cobra Yote Swapped, Braptor!
When do you anticipate having a fully developed catch can for the gen 4 Coyote? I'm very interested in getting one from y'all.
As soon as we have a car local we'll start working on it. Hopefully cars start shipping later this month or next.
Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
so the catch can is less of an issue as port injected fuel will wash the valves
it's to catch the blow by going back into the throttle bodies more then anything. I run one on every vehicle I have.

Smaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
it's to catch the blow by going back into the throttle bodies more then anything. I run one on every vehicle I have.
Doesn’t the latest coyote have port injection at low rpm’s blended to direct injection at high rpm’s? Would that make a difference?

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Doesn’t the latest coyote have port injection at low rpm’s blended to direct injection at high rpm’s? Would that make a difference?
Gen 3 had this as well. I'd get a 1/4 canister full of spray every 3k.

NS90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GFY
What's the general consensus on if the S550 catch can offerings will work for the S650?

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Gen 3 had this as well. I'd get a 1/4 canister full of spray every 3k.
The fact that it's dual injection doesn't mean it won't have any, it means that the fuel being injected should wash the valves.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The fact that it's dual injection doesn't mean it won't have any, it means that the fuel being injected should wash the valves.
Which has zero to do with the need for a catch can. I don't believe I was contesting the info you just shared?

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
What's the general consensus on if the S550 catch can offerings will work for the S650?
Hose routing will be the main difference, MAYBE

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Which has zero to do with the need for a catch can. I don't believe I was contesting the info you just shared?
Of course, I didn't say you were. But the need is not as great as in a direct injection only engine.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
I'm on the fence regarding a catch can.
I'm also acutely aware this is one of those polarising subjects which can induce hissy fits.

Qualified independent people debunk catch cans as uneccesary on dual port engines, yada yada.
Retailers and their influencers (those who make a financial gain) push them as must haves.

But this is the first time I have seen reference to crankcase pressure build up, compromising the rear main seal, resulting in oil weep.

I like the simple ways these two prove the catch can is actually causing pressure build up.
(It's only 10 minutes)

Yes, it's an old 80 series diesel cruiser, but back pressure is back pressure, right?

Have their been any long-term reports of Coyote rear main seal issues after a catch can has been fitted?

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm not a fan of catch-cans, but if installed properly, there is no pressure retaining in that circuit, unless you let it fill with oil entirely...
Also that catch-can is a filter, most ones i've seen are a metal mesh. Very different concept.
The metal mesh can't clog up (unless you never, absolutely never clean it).

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
I'm on the fence regarding a catch can.
I'm also acutely aware this is one of those polarising subjects which can induce hissy fits.

Qualified independent people debunk catch cans as uneccesary on dual port engines, yada yada.
Retailers and their influencers (those who make a financial gain) push them as must haves.

But this is the first time I have seen reference to crankcase pressure build up, compromising the rear main seal, resulting in oil weep.

I like the simple ways these two prove the catch can is actually causing pressure build up.
(It's only 10 minutes)

Yes, it's an old 80 series diesel cruiser, but back pressure is back pressure, right?

Have their been any long-term reports of Coyote rear main seal issues after a catch can has been fitted?
Crankcase pressure is a real thing, and does cause oil leaks. That being said, I see this on many GM 4 cyl turbo motors mostly due to a shit pcv designed system. My experience are with todays oils along with a maintained pcv system I see no issues with pressure build up.

With any added catch can the added maintenance item comes with that. It must be serviced (drained) or it is useless. Very similar to K&N replacement air filters. Many are installed and never serviced (cleaned), that causes issues.

On my new ride if it ever gets scheduled, no such catch can will be installed.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
It would seem ford finds some value in one, dh seems to include one. At least according to the pdi checklist?

OP
OP

Nv6974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It would seem ford finds some value in one, dh seems to include one. At least according to the pdi checklist?
Saw that! Curious to see how that one looks!
Sponsored

Reactions: Zig