• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Oil Catch Cans

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr

Darkness24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt & 2024 Dark Horse Premium
Is it the condensation or the fumes you don’t want diluting?
If you've ever had a catch can it's not just fumes & condensation. It's blow off oil that you don't want to get back into the intake or the engine itself.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you've ever had a catch can it's not just fumes & condensation. It's blow off oil that you don't want to get back into the intake or the engine itself.
If you’re chugging better believe it needs to go back into the pan or you aint gonna make it around to the pits. If you’re fussing due to the can you picked and are wishing for something better might as well go all the way maintenance free.

Darkness24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt & 2024 Dark Horse Premium
It's maintenance free from the factory it just gets burnt off. However, it seems some don't want that entering the intake because it builds up inside the intake. The 24 5.0's have 10 quarts of oil I think it'll be fine. The only track time I'll see was the Dark Horse Track Attack I just did!

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's maintenance free from the factory it just gets burnt off. However, it seems some don't want that entering the intake because it builds up inside the intake. The 24 5.0's have 10 quarts of oil I think it'll be fine. The only track time I'll see was the Dark Horse Track Attack I just did!
Although, there are some separators that drain back into the ‘system’.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6766-A52

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium 401a, Auto, AE, Atlas Blue
Dumb question but what does SC mean on the UPR site? Like this one: "
2024 Mustang GT Plug N Play™ SC Oil Catch Can Separator
"
https://www.uprproducts.com/2024-mustang-gt-plug-n-play-sc-oil-catch-can-separator/

To me SC means supercharger however they have specific cans designed for Whipple installs... I'm look for passenger side standard GT.. Is the one in the link the correct on? Thanks...
So I ended up ordering the UPR passenger side unit. I chose black, the upgraded check valve and some extra O-Rings. UPR had a nice Memorial Day sale.

UPRjoe

Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Just a quick reminder: you (DO NOT) want oil entering the combustion chamber at all, as it dilutes the octane of the gasoline and will cause pre-ignition/detonation. Detonation from having oil in the combustion chamber is the number one robber of power and fuel economy.

Not to mention detonation slowly chips away at the rings and ring landings on the pistons. You can try oil that does not pre-ignite to be a bit safer but that will not change the power and fuel economy loss from having oil in the cylinder. It will only save your rings and ring landing the abuse from detonation.

Just waned to share a bit on this subject.

Joe

FarNorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang
Just a quick reminder: you (DO NOT) want oil entering the combustion chamber at all, as it dilutes the octane of the gasoline and will cause pre-ignition/detonation. Detonation from having oil in the combustion chamber is the number one robber of power and fuel economy.

Not to mention detonation slowly chips away at the rings and ring landings on the pistons. You can try oil that does not pre-ignite to be a bit safer but that will not change the power and fuel economy loss from having oil in the cylinder. It will only save your rings and ring landing the abuse from detonation.

Just waned to share a bit on this subject.

Joe
In my own case adding a catch can made my fuel economy worse.
8.1L/100kms to 8.5L/100kms. It’s the only mod done so far.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Although, there are some separators that drain back into the ‘system’.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6766-A52
I'm no engineer and no expert. That said I have the UPR catch can to prevent oil from being sucked into the intake coking up my intake valves. As far as putting the oil from the separator back in the crankcase: Seems like an awful idea. The waste "oil" in the separator looks like oil, but it is going to have more volatile petroleum products and acids in it since it was a vapor when it left the crankcase during operation. I got out maybe a teaspoon after 900 miles in mine. You'll flash more oil off the cylinder walls during routine combustion than what is trapped in the catch can over an oil change interval. Just dump it and move on. It's a miniscule amount and is better out than in.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
In my own case adding a catch can made my fuel economy worse.
8.1L/100kms to 8.5L/100kms. It’s the only mod done so far.
Adding a catch can wouldn't cause your mileage to go down.

FarNorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang
Adding a catch can wouldn't cause your mileage to go down.
I see many comments on the web saying it can, however in my own case after thinking about it we are having lots or rain, heat and high humidity and I now think that may be more likely the reason. (mouth before brain)

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm no engineer and no expert. That said I have the UPR catch can to prevent oil from being sucked into the intake coking up my intake valves. As far as putting the oil from the separator back in the crankcase: Seems like an awful idea. The waste "oil" in the separator looks like oil, but it is going to have more volatile petroleum products and acids in it since it was a vapor when it left the crankcase during operation. I got out maybe a teaspoon after 900 miles in mine. You'll flash more oil off the cylinder walls during routine combustion than what is trapped in the catch can over an oil change interval. Just dump it and move on. It's a miniscule amount and is better out than in.
A minuscule amount of the very stuff that was pre mod being sent where?

agreed, it shouldn’t be collecting alot, although driving methods may play a part, and completely agreed the intake is not the preferred place.

however,

S650 Mustang Oil Catch Cans IMG_1900

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
A minuscule amount of the very stuff that was pre mod being sent where?

agreed, it shouldn’t be collecting alot, although driving methods may play a part, and completely agreed the intake is not the preferred place.

however,

IMG_1900.jpeg
Miniscule amount being sent down the intake manifold. Not a big deal for a port only injection engine, but the for an engine that is only part time port injection I prefer to mitigate that risk. If these engines still had port injection only I wouldn't even have modified it. I would've left it alone. That's the reason I run a catch can.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miniscule amount being sent down the intake manifold. Not a big deal for a port only injection engine, but the for an engine that is only part time port injection I prefer to mitigate that risk. If these engines still had port injection only I wouldn't even have modified it. I would've left it alone. That's the reason I run a catch can.
Ports are still after the intake. The inlet for the pcv routes to the intake tract. The small amount collected that is not a big deal to be added to a modulated fuel mix but that same small amount will cause issues if returned to the system?

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
I have had a catch can on my 2011GT since new and have kept any oil that was ever emptied from it. It has 25k miles. My 2024 will be getting one as soon as it comes from UPR.
S650 Mustang Oil Catch Cans 20240528_134951
Sponsored