• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Vickstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT

S650 Mustang Official: S650 Mustang Debuts September 14 at Detroit Auto Show 2022! ea8c2366-f2f2-479c-a861-a8382da08b2c-jpe

S650 Mustang Official: S650 Mustang Debuts September 14 at Detroit Auto Show 2022! cbfdfe06-501e-4c01-8a83-15cb0e847b06-jpe

S650 Mustang Official: S650 Mustang Debuts September 14 at Detroit Auto Show 2022! 1b71eeeb-fa26-42ab-925b-9b9199fce10d-jpe

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a40722287/ford-mustang-next-generation-detroit-auto-show/

Ford will reveal the next-generation Mustang in September at the Detroit Auto Show, Automotive News reports.​
Above, a rendering of what we think the S650 Mustang could look like.​
The report, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter, says the new Mustang, which carries the internal designation S650, will begin production in the first half of 2023. Automotive News' source also says the new car is expected to carry over the 5.0-liter Coyote V-8 and turbocharged EcoBoost four-cylinder powertrains from the current-gen Mustang. Whether the six-speed manual transmission option will make its way to the new car has yet to be determined.​
A Ford spokesperson declined to comment on the information when reached by Automotive News, saying only that the car is "on its way."​

S650 Mustang Official: S650 Mustang Debuts September 14 at Detroit Auto Show 2022! s650-mustang-gt-front-end
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
Exciting! If that is correct, I wonder when the first SE will be announced. The GT350 was not far behind the 2015 GT, within a year I believe.

I know, be patient....

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Every article is talking about carry over engines with little to no changes… That would be a huge bumper!

Yes, the exterior will get an evolutionary update and the interior will be radically different from what we’ve seen but that’s pretty much it and I doubt that that is what most of us are craving for. No AWD option, no hybrid option, no new engine, no weight saving… I don’t get why a S550 owner would want to trade his modified S550 in for a much more expensive S650 that really only offers some cosmetic changes…

I hope Ford has more to offer and can surprise us in Detroit but I’m slowly loosing hope that that is going to happen…

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Every article is talking about carry over engines with little to no changes… That would be a huge bumper!

Yes, the exterior will get an evolutionary update and the interior will be radically different from what we’ve seen but that’s pretty much it and I doubt that that is what most of us are craving for. No AWD option, no hybrid option, no new engine, no weight saving… I don’t get why a S550 owner would want to trade his modified S550 in for a much more expensive S650 that really only offers some cosmetic changes…

I hope Ford has more to offer and can surprise us in Detroit but I’m slowly loosing hope that that is going to happen…
Well let's hold off on making final judgements until the car is released. It's looking like a hybrid mustang is coming, hell, ford themselves have said it's coming in public announcements several years ago, and there are engineers who listed in their linked in profiles that they helped develop the s650 hybrid powertrain. So it's coming, just not in year one. Regarding the chassis, I know we're all disappointed, but it's just not economically feasible to develop a new ICE sports car bespoke platform these days unless you partner with someone. Look at it this way, using the current platform means ford can perfect what they already have, rather than spending hundreds of millions or billions of dollars developing something from scratch which might not work out to begin with. In theory, all the money ford saves on reusing the s550 platform means they can instead focus on improving things like the existing suspension and chassis, while also potentially justifying things like making all manual mustangs tremecs. Hell, maybe if we're lucky, ford would consider things like making more parts out of aluminum. On the topic of powertrains, reusing existing powertrains improves the likelihood that they'll have bulletproof durability. It's easy to be doom and gloom about a lot of things, but this isn't as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

actually weight savings is something they can actually do here. There are many elements of the s550 that can be slimmer down. It’s not very optimized.
The engines may be carryover at first, but this isn’t the first time. In 1994, they did that as well - and that’s a close analogy - the Fox became the Fox 4 and the s550 becomes the s650. It may take two model years before we get the engines Ford had in mind when the decision was made to extend the s550.

the interior will be nice. The exterior is an unknown, the engines will be underwhelming at first, bit the weight may end up getting better-especially considering fuel economy standards and the need to add weighty performance parts throughout e s650 lifespan.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Guys, that's like 2 months away!

The folks at the Detroit International Auto show already know what manufacturers are going to be there. They also have the schedule in place for what new vehicles are going to be shown to the press (before the public sees them). So, keep your eyes peeled for their press releases, not the auto manufacturers.

Shelbeast

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 and MME-GT
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a40722287/ford-mustang-next-generation-detroit-auto-show/

Ford will reveal the next-generation Mustang in September at the Detroit Auto Show, Automotive News reports.​
Above, a rendering of what we think the S650 Mustang could look like.​
The report, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter, says the new Mustang, which carries the internal designation S650, will begin production in the first half of 2023. Automotive News' source also says the new car is expected to carry over the 5.0-liter Coyote V-8 and turbocharged EcoBoost four-cylinder powertrains from the current-gen Mustang. Whether the six-speed manual transmission option will make its way to the new car has yet to be determined.​
A Ford spokesperson declined to comment on the information when reached by Automotive News, saying only that the car is "on its way."​
Great news! Now I am back on the site. Got tired of pretender renders and bowel movement posts. lol

Edit: engine/HP carry over is bad news.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I hope something happens with engines. I just got into a 9/21 build, with 9k miles on it (owner didn't have it long). I love the car, GT Prem, 10sp auto, 401A. And it's FAST.

This works fine into my plans of grabbing another in 4 years or so. Super excited to see what the S650 brings.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Edit: engine/HP carry over is bad news.
maybe they'll raise the RPM redline 200 RPM. :)
Does that qualify as a useful improvement?

IMO mustang is done and finished. This is just a styling exercise to claim the brand is alive even if it's a zombie shuffle. Just because an S650 hybrid powertrain was worked on or even fully developed doesn't mean they'll actually deploy it. Many a good idea gets thrown away.

I'm a cynic. If the hybrid shows up it'll be there just to claw some miniscule CAFE numbers back. I'd bet it'll be the F150's 'hybrid' powertrain aka PowerBoost and A10 only. I seriously doubt they'll have married it up to the Coyote but who knows...

First rule of Mustang product development - if the F-150 doesn't have it, the Mustang doesn't get it.

Last edited: