• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Apparently this is not the case. Larry Holt of Multimatic was quoted saying this in a new article on the Road & Track website today:

“There’s going to be confusion… People will think that the GT3 race car is homologated off this road car [the GTD]. But that can’t be. The race car has been homologated off the gen-seven Mustang. And then we made a road car off the race car [the new GTD]. That’s pretty unique… Here we actually did a race car, and then have done a road car.”

“[The GTD] is way more sophisticated than the [GT3] race car. I mean, I don’t think anybody would not say that. You can’t have active aero on the race car. We have active aero on this. You can’t have active suspension on the race car. We have active suspension on this. So it takes a look at that race car and takes it way further, technologically.”

Source:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a44845577/2025-ford-mustang-gtd-is-not-a-homologation-special

Thanks for that, Ericc, I stand corrected! GT3 specs appear to be much more lenient than the old Prototype class. For example, there's no limit on engine size! (having now done a little research)

That being said, I'm sure the business case for this wouldn't have stood up without the race car paying most of the bills.
Sponsored

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Any insights as to the interior? Basic Mustang guts with some carbon fiber touches to make it worthy of a $300K sports car??

Snakeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT Vert, 2011 Shelby GT500 Vert, 2020 BMW X5
IMO The ugliest fenders ever on any sports car Yuck! The GT 500 n 350 absolutely will not have them. For 300k there are much better choices.
I do Love the hatch lip spoiler! Wish our GTs had them and bet the Shelbys will.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't know why people want a mid-engine Mustang instead of all aluminium body for example. The all steel body is the biggest reason why the Mustang is so heavy.
I agree with you, but as long as we are talking theoreticals - a smaller all steel car that weighs 300 or 400 lbs less because it is smaller would be a lot more in the general spirit of past Mustangs.

If the car is smaller and lighter, everything is smaller and lighter. Suspension, brakes, drivetrain, etc. You save weight everywhere just by making the car smaller. And the car also becomes a lot less expensive.

They might as well slap a Lincoln badge on the latest offerings.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I agree with you, but as long as we are talking theoreticals …..

…smaller and lighter, everything is smaller and lighter.
7/8’s or 15/16th’s. ??? - sorry just reminded me of someone.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX

6String

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
This is not a Mustang. It is a Ford GT replacement, (one not nearly as good looking.). JMO

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor R, '21 Bronco First Edition, '23 GT3
This is not a Mustang. It is a Ford GT replacement, (one not nearly as good looking.). JMO
Less expensive with a better engine. The GT was stunning but the engine wasn't inspiring.

texas8709

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 FX4
AGREE with everything you said. Besides that it looks more like someone just added a body kit to a mustang. Unless your a super die-hard loyalist (also rich), I can’t see someone taking this over a Porsche gt3 rs which is around 240k or a Z06 with the track package which is less before the markups. Notice how they revealed it at Barret Jackson not a normal convention like the recent reveals.
It looks like someone took the GT3 Mustang RACECAR and made it street legal...
I don't understand this sentiment at all. Not singling you out, there's many people saying the same things. All the "it's ugly" and "has a Pep Boys body kit" comments. They didn't just gratuitously add scoops and vents and intakes for the hell of it. Most if not all of them are on the GT3 race car, a vehicle they hope to get a class victory at LeMans with, to make that car faster. It's all about the airflow, whether it be for cooling, downforce, drag reduction, whatever. They didn't just hack together a body kit. I don't know if the GT3 will be any good, but they've at least taken an honest crack at it, and then said "hey, we'll make a halo Mustang that can even go beyond that race car". Yes it's wildly unattainable, but so are Ferraris and GT3RS' and the like. I and many others still drool over those. Now yes, there is a difference between a Ferrari/Porsche and a Mustang, those have always been more exclusive and not an everyman's car. But I can appreciate a road-going vehicle that is engineered for incredibly high performance, even if I know I'll never be able to afford it. And lessons learned from this car, certain bits of it's aero or chassis or suspension or drivetrain, could trickle down to the commoners trim level Mustang. It happens within the Mustang, you always hear about the Mach 1 or Dark Horse receiving similar or inspired components from the GT350 or GT500. Lesser 911s and 718s always take lessons from previous GT3s, an unobtainable halo car can always have a positive trickle down effect to lesser models. It's not like this is replacing the EB, GT and Darkhorse. They're still going to make a Shelby or other top-end trim at some point, it just serves as a cool engineering project to marvel at, especially if you're lucky to see one out in the wild one day. Maybe the next GT500 gets this transaxle for better weight distribution. Maybe it gets this 800+hp v8. Maybe it gets active aero. There are now exciting technologies that are on the table for future mustang trims, because they've been applied to this halo Mustang. They can learn about them, learn about higher volume production of them, and some could possibly appear on much cheaper trims. In a time when all of the Mustang's primary competition is going extinct, again, Ford is pushing boundaries and limits for it's pony car. I'm plenty upset at how the company is handling much of it's business and new model rollouts, but I'll never complain about showing genuine passion for motorsports and road-going derivatives. I saw so many "purists" complain about the C8, and make comments about the Z06's aero package. Yet that thing is a monster.
Not saying this is you, but some people seem like they should just stick with Dodges. They apparently just want minimal engineering thought or effort, the same body for 15+ years, and an iron block engine with a bunch of boost added on. Hellcats are nice, but it's the only gimmick they have. The same company that made ACR Vipers just didn't bother trying. I'm thankful Ford and Chevy (to a degree) didn't. Chevy loses points for wasting the superior alpha platform and just killing the Camaro, instead of just making it possible to see out of the damn thing.

6String

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Less expensive with a better engine. The GT was stunning but the engine wasn't inspiring.
The GT to won at Sebring, the 24-hour at Daytona, and at the 24-hour Le Mans (against Ferrari's V8s and the V8 Corvettes). Whether 8-cylinders makes for a better or more inspiring engine depends on whether it wins or not, and that is TBD for the GTD. Hopefully, it will do well.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
it's $300,000 because it has a full carbon body, SLA front suspension, F1 rear suspension, $20,000+ Shocks, $20,000 magnesium wheels and it's going to be hand build in 2000 cars. As you can imagine the RND budget of that car is insane. A mass produced Mid-Engine car is going to cost way less because you are building way more than 2000 cars. Which is how Chevrolet afforded to do the C8. The GTD is homologation special car they have to sell 2000 cars in order for the GT3 car to be allowed to race at Le Mans this is what Ford are doing they are going to sell exactly 2000 GTD cars and race at Le Mans. The Budget for the GTD is part of the GT3 budget. Same as what they did with the Ford GT in 2016. You can think of GTD as a S650 alternative to the 50 years Mustang with it's 1964 cars. However for the tech that is in this car $300,000 is really a bargain. And everyone who fallow WEC GT3 will tell you that this car is insane. Hopefully we will see an S650 with Predator in a much more affordable price later down the line.
Exactly. The GTD is purposely built car with bespoke parts and R&D. It's literally the ultimate Mustang for the correct price (unlike the DH and DH R 🗑). And the road presence must be out of this world.

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14' Honda Civic EX; 14' Honda VFR800 DLX
It is funny how many of the "looks" comments I've been reading on nearly every site this car is on.

Remember folks...you may not like it, but, Function-Over-Form. This is KEY in racing.

EDIT: This kind of reminds me of what happened in 2016 with the Ford GT and the 3.5 Ecoboost. "Why not a V8?" "I don't want a truck engine!". Yeah, well...it won it's class at LeMans. So there's that, LOL.

Last edited:

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F250 Super Duty SOLD
It looks like someone took the GT3 Mustang RACECAR and made it street legal...
I don't understand this sentiment at all. Not singling you out, there's many people saying the same things. All the "it's ugly" and "has a Pep Boys body kit" comments. They didn't just gratuitously add scoops and vents and intakes for the hell of it. Most if not all of them are on the GT3 race car, a vehicle they hope to get a class victory at LeMans with, to make that car faster. It's all about the airflow, whether it be for cooling, downforce, drag reduction, whatever. They didn't just hack together a body kit. I don't know if the GT3 will be any good, but they've at least taken an honest crack at it, and then said "hey, we'll make a halo Mustang that can even go beyond that race car". Yes it's wildly unattainable, but so are Ferraris and GT3RS' and the like. I and many others still drool over those. Now yes, there is a difference between a Ferrari/Porsche and a Mustang, those have always been more exclusive and not an everyman's car. But I can appreciate a road-going vehicle that is engineered for incredibly high performance, even if I know I'll never be able to afford it. And lessons learned from this car, certain bits of it's aero or chassis or suspension or drivetrain, could trickle down to the commoners trim level Mustang. It happens within the Mustang, you always hear about the Mach 1 or Dark Horse receiving similar or inspired components from the GT350 or GT500. Lesser 911s and 718s always take lessons from previous GT3s, an unobtainable halo car can always have a positive trickle down effect to lesser models. It's not like this is replacing the EB, GT and Darkhorse. They're still going to make a Shelby or other top-end trim at some point, it just serves as a cool engineering project to marvel at, especially if you're lucky to see one out in the wild one day. Maybe the next GT500 gets this transaxle for better weight distribution. Maybe it gets this 800+hp v8. Maybe it gets active aero. There are now exciting technologies that are on the table for future mustang trims, because they've been applied to this halo Mustang. They can learn about them, learn about higher volume production of them, and some could possibly appear on much cheaper trims. In a time when all of the Mustang's primary competition is going extinct, again, Ford is pushing boundaries and limits for it's pony car. I'm plenty upset at how the company is handling much of it's business and new model rollouts, but I'll never complain about showing genuine passion for motorsports and road-going derivatives. I saw so many "purists" complain about the C8, and make comments about the Z06's aero package. Yet that thing is a monster.
Not saying this is you, but some people seem like they should just stick with Dodges. They apparently just want minimal engineering thought or effort, the same body for 15+ years, and an iron block engine with a bunch of boost added on. Hellcats are nice, but it's the only gimmick they have. The same company that made ACR Vipers just didn't bother trying. I'm thankful Ford and Chevy (to a degree) didn't. Chevy loses points for wasting the superior alpha platform and just killing the Camaro, instead of just making it possible to see out of the damn thing.
Well said, however I should point out that Dodge has a fraction of the R&D budget of Chevy and Ford. They have done the best with what they have. That includes producing what are far and away the best stock drag racing muscle cars ever created. That also includes breaking the 1000 hp mark something Ford and Chevy will likely never do with an internal combustion engine. Hopefully we will get to see this 800 hp v8 in a regular mustang soon that’s something I could get excited about.
Sponsored