• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Mad Max + Neo
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A GTD is famous in Europe as a Volkswagen Golf with a 2.0 diesel engine making 200hp, called a Golf GTD and is the diesel equivalent of the gasoline Golf GTI.

I don't take the name GTD so serious because of this. 😂
oddly each time I heard ford gtd, ford ltd comes to mind.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems many are missing the point.

In order to homologate the GT3 race car they need to build x-number of road going versions.
why not call it gt3 s (gt3 street)?

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
It seems many are missing the point.

In order to homologate the GT3 race car they need to build x-number of road going versions. This is exactly how the current GT race car came about. In fact, So many people bitched about it being a V6 Ecoboost, without realising this was the only way Ford could meet the power requirements whilst still adhering to the rule book (forced induction engines were limited to 4 litres.....and Ford had no V8 they could work with at that capacity). The GT was built to win Le Mans. And it did. This GT3 is built to win Le Mans, and I hope it does!

GTD was never going to be about building an "everyman's" halo Mustang. It was about building a car to homologate the GT3 racer. And in that context, it's epic!

Hopefully we'll still get that "everyman's" halo Mustang in the form of a more realistic GT500 replacement in the next couple of years.
That's a pretty reasonable explanation why the GTD exists, thank you

I really hope the next GT500 will take some visual elements from the GTD and make it affordable

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
But knowing there always is this more insane unaffordable Mustang kind of kills the mood
It kills the mood compared to most cars :D

More or less a multimatic car with a Ford badge for the streets

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
Considering that this is about as exotic as it gets, and there's no plug in, hybrid or any other goofball platitudes served up here, this thing rocks. Short of a Ford GT, this thing really does take the fight to pretty much anything Europe has to offer. Thank you Ford

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering that this is about as exotic as it gets, and there's no plug in, hybrid or any other goofball platitudes served up here, this thing rocks. Short of a Ford GT, this thing really does take the fight to pretty much anything Europe has to offer. Thank you Ford
Going To Devour

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
SNIP

I also agree that we should eventually see a mid-engine Mustang, hopefully modeled after or as a means of succeeding the GT, but produced for the masses. A C8 successor, ideally hybrid. The rumors of there being two cars makes me wonder if a mid-engine car was discussed in Vegas, and this is an entirely different project - the documentation does say this car has been worked on since 2021. Maybe we'll hear about a Ford mid-engine platform in 2026.

Onto the future. Let's see what else Ford has up their sleeve.
Serious question: if a Mustang where the major changes are suspension and a transaxle ends up in a model that Ford is charging $300,000 for, what do you think the cost would be for a Mustang that would require major changes to every single panel and complete re-engineering of everything? A mid engine Mustang that normal people could afford is a complete pipe dream.

More frustrating that the DH is a massaged copy/paste of the Mach 1 and we’re getting teasers like this

It’s just been a weird product rollout regardless of the logistical reasoning behind it all
Yeah, I can't help but have the feeling that the Dark Horse was originally going to be an actual great car with the transaxle, but no other major modifications. That change by itself could have made the Mustang so much better. The DH S650 would sell like crazy if Ford had done that.

But possibly there were too many issues trying to cool the transaxle and keep a trunk, which is needed for most people to consider a car streetable. Maybe not enough engineering resources dedicated to figure out such a complex set of issues and integrate things in a way that would make an acceptable finished vehicle.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
S650 Mustang Official: 2025 Mustang GTD Revealed! 800+ HP 5.2L V8, Pushrod Suspension, $300K MSRP Mustang GTD on Track 4

I really like the look of it in general. The vents over the wheel are a little much, but I expect they are functional.

In my opinion it's an improvement over the regular Mustangs and DH. The front end is beautiful.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I really hope the next GT500 will take some visual elements from the GTD and make it affordable

Absolutely, I hope some of this filters down to a more realist model, whether that be badged as a Shelby (unlikely) or another DH variant.

Me, I'd take that 800hp 5.2 and 8-speed transaxle and pop it under this :)

S650 Mustang Official: 2025 Mustang GTD Revealed! 800+ HP 5.2L V8, Pushrod Suspension, $300K MSRP GTD 2

S650 Mustang Official: 2025 Mustang GTD Revealed! 800+ HP 5.2L V8, Pushrod Suspension, $300K MSRP S650 GT500 Render 2

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I love how even Barret-Jackson was calling this a mid-engine Mustang before the announcement.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Serious question: if a Mustang where the major changes are suspension and a transaxle ends up in a model that Ford is charging $300,000 for, what do you think the cost would be for a Mustang that would require major changes to every single panel and complete re-engineering of everything? A mid engine Mustang that normal people could afford is a complete pipe dream.
it's $300,000 because it has a full carbon body, SLA front suspension, F1 rear suspension, $20,000+ Shocks, $20,000 magnesium wheels and it's going to be hand build in 2000 cars. As you can imagine the RND budget of that car is insane. A mass produced Mid-Engine car is going to cost way less because you are building way more than 2000 cars. Which is how Chevrolet afforded to do the C8. The GTD is homologation special car they have to sell 2000 cars in order for the GT3 car to be allowed to race at Le Mans this is what Ford are doing they are going to sell exactly 2000 GTD cars and race at Le Mans. The Budget for the GTD is part of the GT3 budget. Same as what they did with the Ford GT in 2016. You can think of GTD as a S650 alternative to the 50 years Mustang with it's 1964 cars. However for the tech that is in this car $300,000 is really a bargain. And everyone who fallow WEC GT3 will tell you that this car is insane. Hopefully we will see an S650 with Predator in a much more affordable price later down the line.

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 2022 MT
Mustang GTD on Track 4.jpg

I really like the look of it in general. The vents over the wheel are a little much, but I expect they are functional.

In my opinion it's an improvement over the regular Mustangs and DH. The front end is beautiful.
Exactly my feeling. It reconciles me with the S650. And I am hoping that the S650 refresh and facelift a few years down the road will be inspired by this.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
it's $300,000 because it has a full carbon body, SLA front suspension, F1 rear suspension, $20,000+ Shocks, $20,000 magnesium wheels and it's going to be hand build in 2000 cars. As you can imagine the RND budget of that car is insane. A mass produced Mid-Engine car is going to cost way less because you are building way more than 2000 cars. Which is how Chevrolet afforded to do the C8. The GTD is homologation special car they have to sell 2000 cars in order for the GT3 car to be allowed to race at Le Mans this is what Ford are doing they are going to sell exactly 2000 GTD cars and race at Le Mans. The Budget for the GTD is part of the GT3 budget. Same as what they did with the Ford GT in 2016. You can think of GTD as a S650 alternative to the 50 years Mustang with it's 1964 cars. However for the tech that is in this car $300,000 is really a bargain. And everyone who fallow WEC GT3 will tell you that this car is insane. Hopefully we will see an S650 with Predator in a much more affordable price later down the line.
Yes I agree you are correct that the schmancy add-ons are a big part of the $300K price. Do you think a mid engine Mustang should be all steel body with cheap iron rotors and basic equipment on it?

Who is buying all these mid engine Mustangs that probably cost $120k each? It's not a Corvette, so don't count on those people. Remember, Ford wants $70K for just minor changes to the S550. Mid-engine is a lot more re-engineering than engine tuning and a flat screen dash like the DH has.

Edit: I have to admit part of the reason I argue against mid-engine is I think the configuration is wildly over-rated for a car intended to be used on the road. To me mid engine cars are very boring to drive on the street. And they are not easy to drive on the track. I don't want a mid engine Mustang, frankly.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Yes I agree you are correct that the schmancy add-ons are a big part of the $300K price. Do you think a mid engine Mustang should be all steel body with cheap iron rotors and basic equipment on it?

Who is buying all these mid engine Mustangs that probably cost $120k each? It's not a Corvette, so don't count on those people. Remember, Ford wants $70K for just minor changes to the S550. Mid-engine is a lot more re-engineering than engine tuning and a flat screen dash like the DH has.

Edit: I have to admit part of the reason I argue against mid-engine is I think the configuration is wildly over-rated for a car intended to be used on the road. To me mid engine cars are very boring to drive on the street. And they are not easy to drive on the track. I don't want a mid engine Mustang, frankly.
I don't know why people want a mid-engine Mustang instead of all aluminium body for example. The all steel body is the biggest reason why the Mustang is so heavy. If you want to fight with Porsche do what Porsche did with the 911 make it 70+% Aluminium. I was in LA in 2018 when they revealed the 992 Porsche to the World and that car is pure magic because of the Aluminium body. I do understand that with current prices of Aluminium this is not going to happen on a $70k car but I still prefer lighter Mustang than a mid-engine one.

I'm sure there is a reason why the GTD weight is not revealed it's going to be 50/50 weight but I'm guessing is going to weight close to that 4000 lbs mark. Which is why they are saying Sub 7 lap which kind of was impressive 10 years ago. Now a Sub 7 lap needs to be more in the range of a 6:40 lap to be impressive. Though I do think if they somehow managed to keep the weight close to the DH/GT500 that they will be able to be very reasonable close to a Sub 7 lap. Still have my doubts if will it be able to beat the GT3 RS at 6:44.8 though.
Sponsored