• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

MT82-D4 manual transmission in 2024 Mustang - should I be worried?

Hammerfell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Hello Everyone,

My build for my 2024 Mustang GT is with a manual transmission. I have been going back and forward on this. I am 90% set on wanting it to be manual. It will be my daily driver and I don't plan on doing any type of racing or doing mods to the car. Should I still be worried in regards to all these horror stories I read about how bad the manual transmissions are? It really scares me to spend so much money and think that Ford has not taken proper measures to make sure there are no issues like in the past with its new model.
I'm driving a 2021 Mustang GT with a manual transmission and I haven't had any issues with the transmission like the stories online. As long as you respect it, the shifting is fine for normal everyday driving.
Sponsored

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
You got realize people who have no issues do not post about them so you are mainly going to see posts about issues. In reality it is not much of a problem.

No one is going to start a post about how their trans is working fine because they are going to be out enjoying their car.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
A set of 4.09 gears would have gone along way to alleviate the mediocre ratios with the D4. My 2020 GT feels like a different car with the 4.09s and the FR Power Kit.
This just put me on a youtube hunt for some 4.09 rear end videos of 18+ GTs. That makes the D4 look so much more appealing

And then I saw this video of someone with a 10R80 with a 4.09 rear end and it made me laugh because the gearing's so short it's actually detrimental lmao what is this

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
This just put me on a youtube hunt for some 4.09 rear end videos of 18+ GTs. That makes the D4 look so much more appealing

And then I saw this video of someone with a 10R80 with a 4.09 rear end and it made me laugh because the gearing's so short it's actually detrimental lmao what is this

It isn't like that with the 6spd.

Dave

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I had basically the same question. My 96 mustang is a generation earlier transmission that had a weakness in the 3/4 gear fork. It was latter fixed however my transmission never received the fix. It currently has 170,000 miles on it without failing. Probably the reason it hasn't failed is I don't force shifts and allow it to drop into gear.
That said, my primary reason for getting the Dark horse was because it has the Tremec transmission and I wanted something that would last. I plan on putting about 200,000 miles on the car and at the current rate, it should last the rest of my life.

mcky2011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 Premium 21 F150 XLT 3.5
Hello Everyone,

My build for my 2024 Mustang GT is with a manual transmission. I have been going back and forward on this. I am 90% set on wanting it to be manual. It will be my daily driver and I don't plan on doing any type of racing or doing mods to the car. Should I still be worried in regards to all these horror stories I read about how bad the manual transmissions are? It really scares me to spend so much money and think that Ford has not taken proper measures to make sure there are no issues like in the past with its new model.
As someone who has driven many manuals including true double clutch military transmissions.
IMO, you will have no problems with your intended usage.

I had a 2015 with the MT82 which I drove for 60K before selling it with zero issues.

I only used the clutch from a dead stop.

It shifted perfectly through all gears up and down without the clutch.

There are always exceptions, such as failed parts or poor assembly and quality, but most transmission issues come from driver error.

Enjoy your car, forget the transmission lore you read on the internet.

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
As someone who has driven many manuals including true double clutch military transmissions.
IMO, you will have no problems with your intended usage.

I had a 2015 with the MT82 which I drove for 60K before selling it with zero issues.

I only used the clutch from a dead stop.

It shifted perfectly through all gears up and down without the clutch.

There are always exceptions, such as failed parts or poor assembly and quality, but most transmission issues come from driver error.

Enjoy your car, forget the transmission lore you read on the internet.
People on here act like it's made of twigs and mud

DxrkLucy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.0 mustang GT track pack 6-speed manual
I ordered 6speed gt as well. Curious to see how it compares to my previous mustang (2014 track pack) hoping for the best bc i, myself have also heard horror stories lmao.

Deano1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT ordered, awaiting allocation
I'm on the waitlist for a manual GT here in Australia. I just looked up where the Getrag is made - Wuhan, China. Maybe all the issues are virus related!

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
The D4 in my 18 was such a POS I didnā€™t really drive the car, I hated it and regretted buying a M6. 3 years and didnā€™t break 10k miles on it and 6k of that was trips back and forth to SoCal. I did the Mantic clutch, MGW shifter and Amsoil fluid, SS line, still had issues. I know I know DrIvEr ErRoR, yet could jump in a couple friends 18+ GTā€™s with out a single issue shifting over 7k. After the shift forks were replaced it did help some, or the Mantic did most of that. The N2MB WOT box also seemed to help a lot too. It was just the trans in my car, other D4ā€™s I drove were fine. If you are not going out to race, or anything like that. Just a fun cruiser with a pull and everything I think youā€™ll be fine. My GT was great for that. But at the track, racing other cars, I shouldā€™ve got the A10. I donā€™t miss my Mustang one bit after selling it. Really canā€™t wait for the new ones to get here and see if they can sway me out of my GR Supra.

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
The MT-82 in my 2019 has never given me an issue and I tend to hit first gear pretty deep, sometimes through second into third but never have had an issue.

CoyoteChubbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyoto 86, F150
The MT-82 in my 2019 has never given me an issue and I tend to hit first gear pretty deep, sometimes through second into third but never have had an issue.
Is there a difference between the manual in the Ecoboost vs GT?
Sponsored