• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I got to drive a S650 for the first time recently.. I'm underwhelmed

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
As for the used market, buying a used mustang with good maintenance records and that has not been beat to death is rare.
car.com etc are chock a block with cars that barely made it around the block. Even the 15-17 barely have 'average' miles on many of them.
Sponsored

Aufenscuht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0I
car.com etc are chock a block with cars that barely made it around the block. Even the 15-17 barely have 'average' miles on many of them.
Absolutely. I work at a shop and constantly tell my clients to perform a pre-purchase inspection before they commit. Very rarely do they heed our advice. Usually it is a "post-purchase" inspection.

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
Obviously I'm biased, but unless you got the sweetheart Ford financing deal that just expired, idk why you would buy a '24 GT over a '23 Mach 1 for around the same price.
I was going to buy a '23 Mach 1 instead of my '24 GT. But I realized the Mach 1 had Recaros, and I hate them. If it was a Summer car I'd have lived with it, but I didn't want those every day in a daily driver. It sucked too because when I called about the Mach 1 the dealership said they were happy to negotiate with me on it since the 24s are out. But then I saw it had Recaros and had to back out.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
There is a saying about opinions that I will not repeat here for fear of the moderators. Anyway, people buy cars for different reason. I buy them new so I don't start with somebody else's problems, drive them carefully and then keep them for over 150,000 miles. I got my car in September and have under 2,000 miles on it so far as a daily driver so I expect it to last as long as I live. I am impressed with it as I skipped a generation of mustangs. The modular V8 in the 96 put out a mighty 200 horse power. While it handled well, I think even an econo boost could beat it in any race you want to try.
If your happy with the previous generation, that's good. The one thing about that car I didn't like was the design of the dash. I think the 24 has a much nicer line to it on the passenger side.. Had I been able to buy one, I probably wouldn't be on this site. As I couldn't get my hands on one, I ended up with a 24 instead.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
It’s a strange time for the Mustang.
I don’t like to rain on the parade of those who love this time, but it’s a bit weird.
Yes, we all know Fords reasoning for keeping the status quo with some sheet metal updates here, some screen here, and twin throttle bodies over there. What that has resulted in is a facelifted s550 that calls itself s650. Performamce is the same. Heck, even plenty of the interior is the same. What should have been the standard GT is now branded “dark horse” and sold at an upcharge.

I don’t blame Ford for this. They have to find ways to remain profitable, keep some enthusiasm going in uncertain times, and ensure an American icon lives on when some of its peers are in their death throes.

but for those of us who really love the Mustang, it’s a bit… sad. Sure it looks ok. It performs ok. And it is basically ok. But it’s not exciting. Perhaps a gt500 will change that. But if it’s the same or barely faster than the last one, is that actually exciting? Others are cranking out performance home runs with hotter models on the way and those cars don’t sell in Mustang numbers.

so… I feel along the same lines as the OP and I don’t disagree.

hopefully the s650 gets refined a bit and goes for something truly special with the top models.

and beyond that, I truly hope the Mustang gets transformed into something especially exciting and special for the next generation. And no, I’m not talking about an SUV, truck, motorcycle, or station wagon.

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2024 GT
I just saw a Lincoln Nautilus commercial a few days ago & it’s a shame the S650 dash could not match the Nautilus. The long, tablet like panels in these new cars is just plain ugly and poorly executed. The Nautilus display is perfectly integrated into the dashboard.

Overall, the car is a nice evolution of the S550. Whether it is worth the higher price is up to each person. Performance is a bit disappointing compared to the 18-23 550, but I just don’t think the Coyote platform has much headroom left while still meeting EPA guidelines and Ford’s warranty expectations.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I just saw a Lincoln Nautilus commercial a few days ago & it’s a shame the S650 dash could not match the Nautilus. The long, tablet like panels in these new cars is just plain ugly and poorly executed. The Nautilus display is perfectly integrated into the dashboard.

Overall, the car is a nice evolution of the S550. Whether it is worth the higher price is up to each person. Performance is a bit disappointing compared to the 18-23 550, but I just don’t think the Coyote platform has much headroom left while still meeting EPA guidelines and Ford’s warranty expectations.
I’m of the opposite opinion regarding the ‘screens’. The ‘tack on’ approach makes it a lot easier to update / upgrade / replace. If one was to remove the tablet(s) from the dash what remains? As in what does the hole look like? If it’s a styled sloped shaped opening now I need to find a special shape. If it’s just a hole with a wire sticking out now all I need is a monitor which could potentially include a windshield projection (hud?) from the backside.

jamespmoran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2020 Explorer ST, 2004 Thunderbird
Good morning, all. I'm sure a handful of you remember me. If not, nice to meet you. I was the guy who obsessed over the digital gauge cluster, going as far as to make some crappy hypothetical gauge clusters in Photoshop. Now do you remember?

I've been awoken after a notification of a random comment on an old thread. Even if I hadn't been notified, I've actually been meaning to return to M7G to share my thoughts now that the car is out.

I'm underwhelmed by it.

Now look, I was VERY excited for the S650. I had a 2024 GT ordered on March 27th, the day the orders opened. In fact, I was the first one to the dealership, before the salesmen and before any other buyers. I ended up cancelling because of financial stability reasons. (didn't end up being an issue, but obviously I didn't know that at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess) Instead, I bought a used 2015 Mustang GT for $17,000. That's less than 1/3rd the price of the GT I had ordered (55k).

The real reason why I decided to post today was this: I got to drive a 2024 GT recently, and I'm genuinely underwhelmed. I expected it to be more exhilarating, more fun, more.. special. And it really wasn't. Lots and lots of people were saying that about it when the car was first unveiled, and yet I still expected it to be at least a little bit different. Seats feel softer and are overall a bit nicer imo, the screens look SHARP and a lot less intrusive in-person, the software is fun to play with, but otherwise the interior is damn near identical to the S550. It drives the same, it accelerates the same, it sounds the same, it's the same freaking car.

Now I get it, the S550 is really hard to make better. I love the looks of the S650, I think the rear has the S550 and S197 vastly beat, and the front looks better than the 2018+ S550. The car is still a blast to drive, it's still loud and gurgly, and still a perfectly capable daily. However, I'm left wondering why pay $50k when you can get an almost identical car for 1/2 the price? (or in my case, 1/3rd, nearly 1/4th) I know many answers include having the latest thing, the looks, the tech, and the warranty/reassurance of no one beating on the car before you. Is that really justification for an extra $20-30k?

I am not at all trying to get anyone to not buy the S650. It's your money and your choice. The Mustang is still a LOT of car for $50k, and a great deal for daily-capable muscle. I just wanted to throw my opinion out there and see what the general masses thinks.
So don’t buy one

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
I got my car in September and have under 2,000 miles on it so far as a daily driver
did we redefine 'daily' while I wasn't looking? That or you live ENTIRELY too close to work. 1300 miles in 4 weeks of ownership. And my commute is merely 10 miles each way. You've had yours for over 5 months?

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Others are cranking out performance home runs with hotter models on the way and those cars don’t sell in Mustang numbers.
What are you talking about?
What other performance home run hotter models??

GT4RS PORCHE for 200K plus?…
Mclaren GT for 200K plus??
New huracan for 300K plus??
C8 ZO6 for 150K??

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
I remember your posts from back then. Still hoping ford will allow custom dashes in the future! Your thread had some cool ideas.

As for the s650 the upgrade was definitely worth it for me. Used to have a 2012 v6 back in the day and the difference is extreme. This car handles amazingly in comparison and I personally love the tech. The interior feels way more luxurious as well.

Can’t hate on saving money though, hope you’re enjoying your Stang👍

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
What are you talking about?
What other performance home run hotter models??

GT4RS PORCHE for 200K plus?…
Mclaren GT for 200K plus??
New huracan for 300K plus??
C8 ZO6 for 150K??
lodge not pretend the mustang didn’t get more expensive either ok buddy? And for what? It didn’t gain performance. It’s not new.

So yeah. We want more out of the car.

4ksk416

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Lol, some of these comments are pure comedy. The model has come a long way over the generations. This mustang has more power than most people can handle. It has a lot of potential in its base form with a few tasteful mods.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
did we redefine 'daily' while I wasn't looking? That or you live ENTIRELY too close to work. 1300 miles in 4 weeks of ownership. And my commute is merely 10 miles each way. You've had yours for over 5 months?
Years of driving 20 miles each way in Los Angles traffic, when I moved to phoenix I wanted a home closer to work. It's 3 miles one way on surface streets with little traffic. Add a couple more miles if I have to drop mail off at the post office. People complain about the fuel the car uses but I need to stop about once a month.
My moms commute is 30 miles so guess who gets called when there is a problem that needs a body on site. Fortunately that's rare but I did spend a 4th of july morning at work because of a damaged water line.
I enjoy the car every time I take it out and it's sad when I have to put it away but I am not moving farther away. I drive far more. My roommate is undergoing several medical procedures so I am driving up to 500 miles a week. I just am not driving it in my car.
Sponsored