• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Glittery oil in catch can

Stang24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang
I’ve been running the J&L catch can for about 2500 miles now I’ve done 2 oil changes on the car already so it’s well broken in around 8k miles total on it. I’ve been checking the catch can periodically and I’ve noticed some glittery specs in the oil and at the bottom of the can. No glitter metalic on the dip stick. On the first oil change very tiny minimal metal on drain plug but didn’t notice any on the second oil change. Could this be from the catch can filter? Or could it be coming from my motor? Also have these lines in the catch can maybe from the oil spinning around in there? Or maybe the motor still has to get flushed out with another oil change?

S650 Mustang Glittery oil in catch can IMG_6712
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/glittery-specs-in-oil-catch-can.191010/

Attached is a thread with some insight from me an others.

I consider the glitter normal and coming from the brillo pad like material in the head end of the unit.

I've read other threads and posts, different makes/models/engines, with J&L can design seeing same.

Two oil changes thus far. Engine is doing great. Oil analysis (2) shows things are excellent.

The only glitter I've seen like this is inside the J&L can, not during the oil change or looking at that drained oil.

Last edited:

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
i'm 99.9% sure it's not from your oil.

Catch-cans will transform oil vapor into droplets that will accumulate on the catch-can's media and then leak into the catch can.

I would find damn near impossible for vapor to carry metal particles...

Now someone will likely come along and say "yes it's possible" and to that i say "yes, sure, you're right"... ;-)

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
i'm 99.9% sure it's not from your oil.

Catch-cans will transform oil vapor into droplets that will accumulate on the catch-can's media and then leak into the catch can.

I would find damn near impossible for vapor to carry metal particles...

Now someone will likely come along and say "yes it's possible" and to that i say "yes, sure, you're right"... ;-)
This right here.👆👆👆👆
If you are getting metal particulates in the catch can from the motor, you’d know it was the motor by now and would be asking a much different set of questions.

OP
OP
Stang24

Stang24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/glittery-specs-in-oil-catch-can.191010/

Attached is a thread with some insight from me an others.

I consider the glitter normal and coming from the brillo pad like material in the head end of the unit.

I've read other threads and posts, different makes/models/engines, with J&L can design seeing same.

Two oil changes thus far. Engine is doing great. Oil analysis (2) shows things are excellent.

The only glitter I've seen like this is inside the J&L can, not during the oil change or looking at that drained oil.
Thanks I appreciate it

OP
OP
Stang24

Stang24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 mustang