• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Front inner wheel well issues

Race Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse - non HP
I have the ZL1 addons and they don’t cover this at all. Front bottom wherever. Unless they redesigned them or the DH ones are that different.
I have the ZL1 addons and they don’t cover this at all. Front bottom wherever. Unless they redesigned them or the DH ones are that different.
my apologies guys, I looked at it too hastily as I was walking out the door, it does not cover like I had thought. Took the wheel off and installed the rock guard just now, instead of just loosely holding it in place. I had already bought the Kydex to thermo form some covers , but I would much rather have an original part from the factory, or at least an explanation before I cover it up.
Sponsored

Jays Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse
Is there a definite answer on the best course of action?
Thanks

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Fastback, 68 Falcon Sports Coupe
Is there a definite answer on the best course of action?
Thanks
Definite no, I have chosen to cover the hole and it is my personal opinion (take it or leave it) that this opening serves no purpose at all. I have been pursuing Ford on this subject since early September and have been completely stone walled fo any sort of an answer.

Jays Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse
Definite no, I have chosen to cover the hole and it is my personal opinion (take it or leave it) that this opening serves no purpose at all. I have been pursuing Ford on this subject since early September and have been completely stone walled fo any sort of an answer.
Did you find something that covers the entire hole? Do you think spray found insulation would catch on fire from the heat?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I can spray foam insulation in the holes?
I wouldn't go there, primarily for the reason listed above: moisture trapping. A secondary reason: have you ever tried to remove foam once it's been sprayed? It's near impossible. You'll never remove all of it.

Foam insulation works* by creating a series of very small pockets or voids. A barrier of air is very efficient at creating a fence or wall, to prevent energy (heat) from attempting to escape.

As mentioned before, all those little voids are going to wick and trap moisture. Earlier in the thread, a post was made of examples involving foam Dodge used in several vehicles. The results were disastrous.

If you're good with your hands, several examples have been posted to create a physical barrier, akin to putting your hand across the void, and prevent anything from entering it in the first place.

Reasons for the void range from oversight on Ford's part, poor design, to something which assists in aero. I lean towards the former explanations.

There is no fix. Ford has yet to even acknowledge there is a problem, probably because of liability concerns. The hope is Ford will announce a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) with an official repair.

In the mean time, several Members here have come up with some very well-crafted fixes. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you're not good with your hands or don't have the time, seek out a local speed or body shop. Show them some of the examples from this thread, have them fab, then attach.

* The second law of thermodynamics involves heat, energy and entropy. Energy always flows from areas of high concentrations to low ones. Using the example of insulation, the air pockets and voids help prevent the transfer of the energy.

P.S.

Not to derail the thread, but check out your home furnace and hot water heater. If they're using plastic and PVC piping, read the side. See if they say anything akin to "cell core" or "cellular". Cell core materials are great in that they are light and easy to work with. But the cells/voids trap moisture and breed mold.

If you have piping like this in your house involving these systems, odds are good you'll have to remove and replace all of it will solid-core materials.

There have been national code changes the last few years. The next time you have your hot water heater or furnace replaced, you might need to budget to have the cell core materials removed.

Study your local building codes or call a plumbing or HVAC shop to discuss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you find something that covers the entire hole? Do you think spray found insulation would catch on fire from the heat?
I made a fiberglass closure
yes, I made a fiberglass closure then I used Kydex not shown in the video.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I pulled the right front wheels of my 2018 and my 2024.

…..

Before I remove the liners it looks like there is a gap in the 2018 in the same place where there is a hole in in the 2024. Do you think it's worth exploring further?
x7IDJZh.jpg
is the gap in the ‘18 open? Would the ‘18 liner or a piece of it fit behind or in place of the ‘24?

edit: while agreed it appears to be open but unable to see the the whole of the hole.

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
is the gap in the ‘18 open? Would the ‘18 liner or a piece of it fit behind or in place of the ‘24?

edit: while agreed it appears to be open but unable to see the the whole of the hole.
It’s open, what is different on the 550 from what I have seen is there is an additional brace on the 650 that comes off the K member and then the addition of the under chassis protection that runs the length of the 650. The two of these additions on the 650 is what causes the debris from getting trapped. The geometry of the brace takes a beating from stones and also traps them.
I don’t own a 550 but from all off the videos available out there for various add ons, it looked like there was no brace. So even though the chassis is sill getting hit through that opening, the consequences are far less.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse

dollybud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT - 2018 Dodge Ram 1500.
FWIW, I checked my S550 earlier. There's a bulge (out) in the same spot, shaped a bit differently, but close to yours. The liner is all one piece. I didn't try to pull it back and look in, as there are fasteners close-by.
Could you send a picture? Have you seen what’s behind the fasteners? Now that winter is here salt water snow packing in there sure as hell can’t be good.

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT