• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/how-long-ford-wants-to-keep-v8-engines-alive

Let's hope this means S650 will stick around long enough to get a refresh with (another) revised Coyote. Perhaps we'll even get a V8 S750? Keep 'em crossed, folks!

“As long as we can offer a V8 we will,” he said, speaking at the launch of the Mustang Dark Horse in Charlotte, USA.

Mr Rushbrook didn’t rule out Ford developing a new Coyote V8 engine, provided there’s enough demand out there – and “depending on where the regulations go”.

S650 Mustang Ford Mustang V8 will be offered for as long as possible S650 Vapor Blue 2
Sponsored

JamesAnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
It seems we're reaching a stage where the point in having a V8 is being destoyed by regulations, especially in Europe. Exhaust sounds are becoming more muted, power is being detuned further (apparently Eurpoean Dark Horse will have less than 450hp).......the fact it's a V8 is becoming somewhat meaningless. Shame really.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
It seems we're reaching a stage where the point in having a V8 is being destoyed by regulations, especially in Europe. Exhaust sounds are becoming more muted, power is being detuned further (apparently Eurpoean Dark Horse will have less than 450hp).......the fact it's a V8 is becoming somewhat meaningless. Shame really.

Whats even more stupid, yes these tubro motors are cleaner when just putzing around but as soon as you make boost not only does the fuel economy start mimicking their normally aspirate brothers but also the amount of carbon footprint.,

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
The big problem Ford will be facing is the EPA is going to start requiring higher fleet milage requirements. Granted Ford will probably be able to keep up for a while with the 10 speed auto and lower rear end ratios but I don't think they will be able to improve the engine fuel consumption much without reducing horse power. Already we are facing fuel consumption taxes which Ford would gladly eliminate if they could. The worst part of is is my 62 Falcon 170 cubic engine would get about 24 miles to a gallon and todays powerful engine is probably getting better milage with far cleaner exhaust. They even require 10% booze in the fuel which further limits milage.
This is because the government tells you to do something that they don't have a clue how to accomplish. At some point only magic can accomplish what they want. Working as and engineer I have accomplished things that nobody else was able to but there are things that just can't be done.

Last edited:

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
The big problem Ford will be facing is the EPA is going to start requiring higher fleet milage requirements. Granted Ford will probably be able to keep up for a while with the 10 speed auto and lower rear end ratios but I don't think they will be able to improve the engine fuel consumption much without reducing horse power. Already we are facing fuel consumption taxes which Ford would gladly eliminate if they could. The worst part of is is my 62 Falcon 170 cubic engine would get about 24 miles to a gallon and todays powerful engine is probably getting better milage with far cleaner exhaust. They even require 10% booze in the fuel which further limits milage.
This is because the government tells you to do something that they don't have a clue how to accomplish. At some point only magic can accomplish what they want. Working as and engineer I have accomplished things that nobody else was able to but till there are things that just can't be done.
That's what the EVs are for, EPA does fleet average so a v8 is balanced out with an EV

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what the EVs are for, EPA does fleet average so a v8 is balanced out with an EV
Ford took a huge loss on EVs and it seems that people are discovering how EVs limit their life style. It may not be long until we see a flood of people moving away from EVs back to internal combustion. About the only way to solve it might be to reintroduce the Hybrid.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
Ford took a huge loss on EVs and it seems that people are discovering how EVs limit their life style. It may not be long until we see a flood of people moving away from EVs back to internal combustion. About the only way to solve it might be to reintroduce the Hybrid.
It's in our best interests to support EV adoption, EPA doesn't care about sales numbers, if they stop making the EVs then the V8s go with them

JamesAnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
Whats even more stupid, yes these tubro motors are cleaner when just putzing around but as soon as you make boost not only does the fuel economy start mimicking their normally aspirate brothers but also the amount of carbon footprint.,
Stopped selling ecoboost in UK due to poor sales, funny when the eco was probably built with markets like UK in mind. Ford need to get someone to do better market research.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For well over 100 years electric vehicles have been around and the problem has always been the batteries The started with lead acid and nickel iron (type of nickel metal hydrate) but range was alway an issue. Motor controls are a mature technology as train locomotives use diesel to drive a generator which in turn drive the motors in the bogies. Locomotives have been built up to 6,000 horse power so controlling an EV isn't an issue.
Simply it comes down to there is a limit to the amount of active material you can pack in a battery. The solution is either a fuel cell or there is a battery that passes two different chemicals through the battery to produce power. Unfortunately the second system is better for stationary applications but somebody might be able to adapt it to EVs.
If you're only using the EV around town, they can be the perfect solution if you can live with the limited battery life of 10 years or less. If you take long trips or you like me and own a car for over a quarter of a century, EVs just don't sound that good.
My personal opinion is the batteries are going to be what drives people back to internal combustion. The world's supply of Lithium is very limited and as more people buy EVs, you're going to see the price of EVs skyrocket because of the battery cost. Currently I don't see a replacement for Lithium however there is some talk of a Sodium based battery. If that happens, watch out because Sodium is really reactive when its in its metal state. It can suck the oxygen right out of water leaving hydrogen gas.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Assuming regulations don't evolve (which they always do), I can't imagine seeing any form of ICE Mustang in 12 years' time. California (*cough* Commiefornia *cough*) marched forward with its Zero Emissions Vehicle (ZEV) mandate targeting 100% of new vehicle sales to be ZEV by 2035. In layman's, if it makes any form of emissions, it will be illegal to sell in that state.

CA makes up over 10% of US passenger vehicle sales. So, either Ford decides to continue making V8s--be it an NA evolution of the Coyote, a down-sized TT variant, and/or they slap a hybrid system on it to lighten loads and reduce emissions--it won't matter. They will have to make the conscious decision to lose at least 10% of its potential domestic sales volume (and that's not even taking into consideration the buying density of the Mustang by state, which is probably high in an affluent, lifestyle-focused place like CA, versus general passenger vehicle sales, so 10% is a very minimal/conservative guess), or they axe the concept and go full EV.

Most likely the latter.

But thanks to the Mach-E, F-150 Lightning, and I'm sure other volume, low emissions Ford vehicles like the Maverick, they're meeting emissions regulations and are able to sell a V8 Mustang without having to pay fines or buy credits.

See excerpt from this article:

Jim Owens:

When asked if Ford was concerned V8 power could be outlawed by stricter emissions regulations in the future, the executive said:
"I can't comment on what the government's going to do, but at least here in the US, we are meeting (emissions) requirements through our mix of vehicles.

"We don't buy credits. We manage the mix (of cars we sell) to manage the (emissions targets).

"Part of the reason why we're allowed to do two new (petrol) engines is the success of the Ford F-150 Lightning and the success of the Mustang Mach-E. Those are zero emission vehicles.

"We're going to continue to comply (with emissions mandates) and right now we do it through fleet balancing. We produce a certain number (of electric vehicles) to be compliant."
Source

It's an exhausting and complicating read, but if you want to melt your brain, dig into this PDF from the EPA detailing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions standards and the targets set through 2026. Note that you'd have to have a really good understanding of CO2 emissions to really get anything from it, but you can get a rough idea of how things will be tightening over the next several years.

Last edited:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
OH. It's also worth noting that the stringency of emissions regulations are based on the size of the vehicle. So full-sized trucks are given far more lenient targets than, say, a subcompact sedan. Kind of a big brain move by Ford if you think about the fact that the only CAR they sell is the Mustang...

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
And you can still want it to do well. Benefits us all.
I keep reading about this little town 20 minutes from me. their power keeps going out, and I am thinking, guess if they had ev, they would all be having to walk to where they need to go
Sponsored