• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Farley: 2024 Mustangs Begin Shipping Next Week! - 13,000 U.S. Orders So Far (67% V8 Take Rate)

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
I don't own an EV and have no plans to buy one. I have a V8 and just ordered another (Mustang) and am keeping both. I also have a 1900cc motorcycle that I ride a lot. A LOT. My other two cars are both V6 (one of them with a super charger) Just wanted to give that caveat that I own 5 vehicles, none of which are fuel efficient. So i am not "anti oil".

While I agree that EVs will not replace ICE (I think we'll have very efficient hybrids that use solid state batteries but still have a small gas motor to charge the batteries and we might even have e-fuel that Porsche and Toyota are working on which is carbon neutral), the power grid arguments are exaggerated.

EVs typically charge at night when we have access capacity of energy. Even during the day, States and Provinces are increasing the capacity.

The power outage argument is moot. Gas stations don't work without power either. We will have EVs that won't need charging during the day (except during road trips). As far as apartments are concerned, they'll add EV chargers or it'll be like Europe where street EV outlets are literally everywhere.

EVs don't have to replace ICE. I think it'll even out where half the cars will be EV, the other half will be very efficient plug-in hybrids that mostly run on battery but still have the engine to charge the battery. And then there will be some ICE enthusiast cars.
But my gas can will give me 100 more miles if the power is out. Down here we keep a few 5 gallons ready especially during hurricane season. Keeping a spare battery pack is cost prohibitive at this point.

EVs typically charge at night but that's still a lot of demand if half the people driving are plugging in.

I am all about some synthetic fuel. Curious to see what they come up with. I know Porsche championed this hard in Germany.

And I'm also not anti EV. I'm just not in any rush when there are still v8's making noise.
Sponsored

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
California can't keep up today, let alone when there are more electric cars on the road. The rest of the US isn't any better in terms of that kind of demand. We couldn't possibly run that many EVs on the current grid, and getting homes outfitted for electric cars will be a huge effort too. An EV can power a house. Nothing like running a dryer or stove.
And the California Power Companies and Politicians are begging people to "Not" charge their EV's "During Peak Hours". Yeah, like the average person with a dead EV is going to say, "OH, I'm going to wait until off peak hours!". Yeah, right!

Especially if they have anything less than a 480v level 3 charger, it will take more than overnight to fully charge.

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
EVs don't have to replace ICE. I think it'll even out where half the cars will be EV, the other half will be very efficient plug-in hybrids that mostly run on battery but still have the engine to charge the battery. And then there will be some ICE enthusiast cars.
Then why is California planning to ban ICE cars by 2035?

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
And the California Power Companies and Politicians are begging people to "Not" charge their EV's "During Peak Hours". Yeah, like the average person with an dead EV is going to say, "OH, I'm going to wait until off peak hours!". Yeah, right!

Especially if they have anything less than a 480v level 3 charger, it will take more than overnight to fully charge.
What about if you work a nightshift?

Well, first theyll ask then theyll demand, then theyll outlaw.
Whether you agree with the principle or not, remember how they treated the mask mandate.

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The power outage argument is moot. Gas stations don't work without power either.
Many gas station have back up power to keep pumping. Especially here in Huricane prone Florida. In the last 10 years, I haven't had a issue getting gas when the power it out.

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally, EV's are never going to take over until you can pull up to a charger and get a full charge in the same amount of time it takes to pump a full tank of gas. That is why many EV owners switch back to ICE.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
But my gas can will give me 100 more miles if the power is out. Down here we keep a few 5 gallons ready especially during hurricane season. Keeping a spare battery pack is cost prohibitive at this point.

EVs typically charge at night but that's still a lot of demand if half the people driving are plugging in.

I am all about some synthetic fuel. Curious to see what they come up with. I know Porsche championed this hard in Germany.

And I'm also not anti EV. I'm just not in any rush when there are still v8's making noise.
Porsche already has the synthetic fuel fully developed, theyre running their PESC series off of it, right now their focus is finding ways to scale production.

the issue we run into with power systems is we dont have any reliable way to store mass amounts of electricity so we're limited to what our (east, west, and texas) grids can generate at any point in time

power as it sits right now cannot meet demand of EVs at full draw, but investment in more power systems allows more and more EVs to hit the streets as time goes on. Thankfully we are making massive gains in those areas with renewables set to triple output by 2050.

t4nk3d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 200c AWD, 16 Jetta sport, 14 FLHTK
If they can get charging down to 5-10 minutes to full with a decent range and use nuclear power to charge them then I could see it becoming adopted at a faster rate. But then you also run into the issue of making that many batteries not to mention they don't exactly recycle well means it's still a mess and can't realistically fully replace ice

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche already has the synthetic fuel fully developed, theyre running their PESC series off of it, right now their focus is finding ways to scale production.

the issue we run into with power systems is we dont have any reliable way to store mass amounts of electricity so we're limited to what our (east, west, and texas) grids can generate at any point in time

power as it sits right now cannot meet demand of EVs at full draw, but investment in more power systems allows more and more EVs to hit the streets as time goes on. Thankfully we are making massive gains in those areas with renewables set to triple output by 2050.
quick correction: theyre running it in: Initially the fuel is to be used in lighthouse projects such as the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup and at Porsche Experience Centers

zee_g7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Ya, I am disappointed that governments are putting so many subsidies behind EV but not using those subsidies for synthetic fuel.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya, I am disappointed that governments are putting so many subsidies behind EV but not using those subsidies for synthetic fuel.
i honestly think what we need now isnt throwing more subsidies behind EVs and green energy, but rather stripping subsidies from the oil barons and giving them to renewables instead

zee_g7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
i honestly think what we need now isnt throwing more subsidies behind EVs and green energy, but rather stripping subsidies from the oil barons and giving them to renewables instead
I agree.

But if they're going to throw our tax money behind subsidies then let's hedge the bets rather than betting it all on EVs.

IMO: Tesla is the most profitable mass produced car companies in the world - by a *long* shot. It made sense to subsidize to kickstart the industry. Now let's let the market do what the market does.

akfinfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang Dark Horse - 17' Charger - 17' Ram 1500
Then why is California planning to ban ICE cars by 2035?
You can’t even fart in California without paying a fine or a tax.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree.

But if they're going to throw our tax money behind subsidies then let's hedge the bets rather than betting it all on EVs.

IMO: Tesla is the most profitable mass produced car companies in the world - by a *long* shot. It made sense to subsidize to kickstart the industry. Now let's let the market do what the market does.
i agree that the way forward requires a multi-faceted approach to the issue.

but to call tesla the most profitable in the world while they are actively stripping out features from cars to struggle to make half of what Ford made in 2022 is a foolish notion. But i will credit them as proofing the idea of EVs for the big players.

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)