• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Extended Warranties?

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
As I just recently ordered the car, I’ll wait and see what the dealer is pushing.
Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Given all the electronics in new cars these days, I am considering an extended warranty. I know Ford offers one. To be prepared with a competitive policy, I checked with Endurance on their "Supreme" policy - $100.00 deductible, 8 years (actually 5 after the standard warranty) or 101K miles. Believe me, it is "Supremely" priced! I don't even have a VIN yet, so the quote I was given was probably low.
What is the experience of the Mustang GT crowd?
Do what is right for you. :) I personally do not believe in extended warranties. Would rather just use my emergency fund for unexpected repairs. Have always done that but if a warranty gives you peace of mind then go for it - just make sure it is a reputable warranty like one through Ford and not some scam one that won't cover anything. They are out there, beware!

S650 Mustang Extended Warranties? 1702681455114

JAM486HP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
The only thing I really want is coverage for the massive screen that will eventually fail.

IMO the only warranty to get would a Ford from @Zach@Granger , though even under Premium Care it states • Instrument Cluster (Excluding Dash Pad)

AI have not received a clear answer on if the Display screens are considered "Dash Pads"
Anyone know if the screens are part of the Ford Protect warranty?

I am also in no hurry, the price does not go up that much after a year or two, why start the aftermarket warranty while still on the 3yr36K

Last edited:

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
That is a good question, my screen went out about 9 months into owning my 2018 S550 and it was covered. It would have cost me $1200.00 if it wasn't.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a good question, my screen went out about 9 months into owning my 2018 S550 and it was covered. It would have cost me $1200.00 if it wasn't.
This is exactly what I'm concerned about.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
This is exactly what I'm concerned about.
Ya, I noticed that with my '22. Popping the hoods of the respective vehicles (2022 Ford vs. 2008 Toyota), the differences in item density and component complexity is something to give one pause.

Good news is, if you don't get a good price from the selling dealer at pick-up, you can pass and continue to research for close to another three years before committing.

Going back to the Granger site, you can plug in numbers for different quotes to see how things move. For example, you can list your car as a 2022 vs. a 2024 to see differences, all else being equal. Even though you cannot buy from them, you can get ideas on overall pricing.

SSuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Grabber Blue, 2007 Mustang
I have 45 years in the dealership service business, including the last 4 at a Ford dealer (and just got my Grabber Blue '24 GT on Monday!) and I do tens of thousands of work every month, paid for by extended warranties. I usually recommend to customers to buy them right before the factory warranty exxpires, you can still get the same coverage and pricing as you would have it you bought when new. This way, you'll know if you are going to keep the car or not.

Any factory offering is better than any aftermarket offering, but there a number of good aftermarket ones. DO NOT UNDER ANY CURCUMSTANCES BUY CAR SHIELD OR AMERICAN AUTO SHIELD!! If you belong to a credit union, their offerings are usually good, as they have to answer to their members. DO not buy from anyone who solicits YOU, seek out what you are interested in

And regardless of what anyone tells you, they are NOT bumper to bumper! The good ones are exclusionary policies, meaning they cover everything EXCEPT what is on a list of exclusions. This is the list you want to look at. Trim, body, adjusments, reflashes and wear items will always be excluded, as well as diagnostic charges. As regards rental, the policies will cover rental only after a claim has been approved, so if your car is in the shop a few days for dioagnosis, they will not pay rental for that time. And they will only pay rental up to the limits of the policy. I have a 5.0 engine approved for an F-150, with a 6 month wait, and they are only paying 7 days of rental.

Just yesterday alone, I got a complete F-150 10 speed trans, and a Explorer torque converter aapproved, $7,000 and $2,100, respectivley, so they definitley benefit someone other that the warranty seller. APIMs at $1,300, VVT gears at $3,800, ABS modules at $1,100, and various and sundry leaks are all things that I get covered on a daily basis. I have 4 Fords in my family, but I am under no illusions about our product quality :(

Sorry for the long post, but know what you are buying, have realisitic expectations, and you will avoid a lot of aggravation and expense. I'm glad to entertain any questions on this or any othe rdealership matters.

Best regards!

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
The only thing I really want is coverage for the massive screen that will eventually fail.

IMO the only warranty to get would a Ford from @Zach@Granger , though even under Premium Care it states • Instrument Cluster (Excluding Dash Pad)

AI have not received a clear answer on if the Display screens are considered "Dash Pads"
Anyone know if the screens are part of the Ford Protect warranty?

I am also in no hurry, the price does not go up that much after a year or two, why start the aftermarket warranty while still on the 3yr36K
Our dealer and finance person said the platinum plan covers the dash. Looks like the Gold plus does too. It’s all integrated with nav system, instrument cluster, ac controls. The only side bar refers to glass. I’m guessing if you break the glass that might be an issue but they will have a hard time not covering it since all the interior systems are controlled through the dash pads.
S650 Mustang Extended Warranties? IMG_5871
S650 Mustang Extended Warranties? IMG_5872

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 45 years in the dealership service business, including the last 4 at a Ford dealer (and just got my Grabber Blue '24 GT on Monday!) and I do tens of thousands of work every month, paid for by extended warranties. I usually recommend to customers to buy them right before the factory warranty exxpires, you can still get the same coverage and pricing as you would have it you bought when new. This way, you'll know if you are going to keep the car or not.

Any factory offering is better than any aftermarket offering, but there a number of good aftermarket ones. DO NOT UNDER ANY CURCUMSTANCES BUY CAR SHIELD OR AMERICAN AUTO SHIELD!! If you belong to a credit union, their offerings are usually good, as they have to answer to their members. DO not buy from anyone who solicits YOU, seek out what you are interested in

And regardless of what anyone tells you, they are NOT bumper to bumper! The good ones are exclusionary policies, meaning they cover everything EXCEPT what is on a list of exclusions. This is the list you want to look at. Trim, body, adjusments, reflashes and wear items will always be excluded, as well as diagnostic charges. As regards rental, the policies will cover rental only after a claim has been approved, so if your car is in the shop a few days for dioagnosis, they will not pay rental for that time. And they will only pay rental up to the limits of the policy. I have a 5.0 engine approved for an F-150, with a 6 month wait, and they are only paying 7 days of rental.

Just yesterday alone, I got a complete F-150 10 speed trans, and a Explorer torque converter aapproved, $7,000 and $2,100, respectivley, so they definitley benefit someone other that the warranty seller. APIMs at $1,300, VVT gears at $3,800, ABS modules at $1,100, and various and sundry leaks are all things that I get covered on a daily basis. I have 4 Fords in my family, but I am under no illusions about our product quality :(

Sorry for the long post, but know what you are buying, have realisitic expectations, and you will avoid a lot of aggravation and expense. I'm glad to entertain any questions on this or any othe rdealership matters.

Best regards!
All good information. Thanks!

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
Extended Warranties are a great deal for the companies selling them. For the consumer, not so much.
Until you have a major issue that cost more than the warranty. My buddy had an extended warranty on his f150. Motor took a dive at 85,000. Repair for the motor was over $10,000. His warranty was $2800 I believe and $100 deductible. He got a new 3.5ecoboost installed. Now that’s the extreme case as motors typically dont go out but warranty companies are banking on you not needing it which is probably the case since they still offer them.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Until you have a major issue that cost more than the warranty. My buddy had an extended warranty on his f150. Motor took a dive at 85,000. Repair for the motor was over $10,000. His warranty was $2800 I believe and $100 deductible. He got a new 3.5ecoboost installed. Now that’s the extreme case as motors typically dont go out but warranty companies are banking on you not needing it which is probably the case since they still offer them.
Any kind of "Insurance" is always a gamble.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Our dealer and finance person said the platinum plan covers the dash. Looks like the Gold plus does too. It’s all integrated with nav system, instrument cluster, ac controls. The only side bar refers to glass. I’m guessing if you break the glass that might be an issue but they will have a hard time not covering it since all the interior systems are controlled through the dash pads.
IMG_5871.jpeg
IMG_5872.jpeg
Just FYI, that is not Ford ESP. Be wary.

https://fordprotect.ford.com/extended-service-plan

https://fordprotect.ford.com/extendedserviceplan/index/downloadbrochure/careplan/premiumcare/

Last edited: