• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Extended warranty

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
Extended warranty = bad investment. You're paying for a repair you probably won't need. There are exceptions of course, but they are rare.
You are correct and my Jeep was the first time I ever bought an EW. The 392 motor has a weak spot with the multi displacement system that can eat up cams and lifters. Replacing the engine is about a 5k affair and the warranty was under 2k for 8 years. Between the possible better resale value and peace of mind I felt it was worth it.

Unless some known common problem shows up on the new Mustang, I will probably forgo buying one for it.
Sponsored

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Extended warranty = bad investment. You're paying for a repair you probably won't need. There are exceptions of course, but they are rare.
What scares me about the S650 (versus past models) is that so many of the mechanical features are integrated into those tacky-looking tablets

I imagine they would be quite expensive to repair if something happened to them and you're out of the manufacturer's warranty. But the car would effectively be bricked if you don't get them fixed.

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
What scares me about the S650 (versus past models) is that so many of the mechanical features are integrared into those tacky-looking tablets

I imagine they would be quite expensive to repair if something happened to them and you're out of the manufacturer's warranty. But the car would effectively be bricked if you don't get them fixed.
Tempting to have zero / low deductible during a loan term. Itā€™s the ā€˜whatā€™s not coveredā€™ list thatā€™s the most interesting to me.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just did the paperwork on mine last night. The extended warranty plus maintenance plan was an extra 6k. I too live in Florida.
When you say maintenance, what exactly does that mean. Is that all of the adjustments, fluids, filters, flushes, changes, treatments and so on?

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you say maintenance, what exactly does that mean. Is that all of the adjustments, fluids, filters, flushes, changes, treatments and so on?
So there are 2 different plans Ford offers.

One is Ford Protect (or ESP). This covers the failure of anything related to the engine/transmission/suspension/wiring that doesn't usually require repair. This would be stuff such as HVAC repair, Radio repair, Suspension repair, etc. As the name suggests, this is merely an extension of your manufacture warranty beyond the initial period.

The other is Ford Premium Maintenance Plan. This covers regular repairs such wear & tear work such as Oil Changes, Brakes, Flushes, Filters, Fluids, etc. There is no deductible for this.

And then there's another package called TireCare Plus, which covers only repairs specific to the wheels & tires.

^^^You can purchase all of these together, BTW.

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So there are 2 different plans Ford offerd.

One is Ford Protect (or ESP). This covers the failure of anything related to the engine/transmission/suspension/wiring that doesn't usually require repair. This would be stuff such as HVAC repair, Radio repair, Suspension repair, etc. As the name suggests, this is merely an extension of your manufacture warranty beyond the initial period.

The other is Ford Premium Maintenance Plan. This covers regular repairs such wear & tear work such as Oil Changes, Brakes, Flushes, Filters, Fluids, etc. There is no deductible for this.

And then there's another package called TireCare Plus, which covers only repairs specific to the wheels & tires.

was 6k due to location or is that a different selection than what is shown on the granger chart?

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was 6k due to location or is that a different selection than what is shown on the granger chart?
My guess would be partially because it's based on dealer MSRP for the plans, and partially because they looked at one of the more expensive packages.

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, 2020 Mustang GT Premium c
Oil changes, filters, wipers, fluids, tire rotations. I got the extended warranty mostly because it covers electrical, with this new model having the screens and the LED lights that give a side show as you approach, I imagine they will be expensive if repair or replacement is needed. Especially on first year models where things probably will happen. Peace of mind

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oil changes, filters, wipers, fluids, tire rotations. I got the extended warranty mostly because it covers electrical, with this new model having the screens and the LED lights that give a side show as you approach, I imagine they will be expensive if repair or replacement is needed. Especially on first year models where things probably will happen. Peace of mind
Please donā€™t remind me about dbsā€¦. I donā€™t want anything even close to thatā€¦.

covers electrical as well.?? Hmm ā€¦.

edit: ^ dbs is in reference to dead battery syndrome. Electrical gremlins had/have a tendency to eat batteries in one of my other vehicles.

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please donā€™t remind me about dbsā€¦. I donā€™t want anything even close to thatā€¦.

covers electrical as well.?? Hmm ā€¦.

edit: ^ dbs is in reference to dead battery syndrome. Electrical gremlins had/have a tendency to eat batteries in one of my other vehicles.
Iā€™ve had the issue lately in my 18 GT. Turns out itā€™s the LED steering wheel. After two years of being on the car it started draining battery overnight a few weeks ago. Electrical issues absolutely suck

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So there are 2 different plans Ford offerd.

Correct, I got the Ford Protect and the premium maintenance

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Camaro ZL1 (prev. 2019 Mustang GT; 2025?)
While FL owner cannot purchase through Granger, the site is great for plugging in different variables and studying outcomes.
How did you ascertain that a FL buyer can't buy the extended warranty through Granger? How does one make that determination as to other states?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
How did you ascertain that a FL buyer can't buy the extended warranty through Granger? How does one make that determination as to other states?
FL has licensing requirements for these types of products. If a company wants to sell a policy in the state of FL, they must be licensed by FL to sell in FL.

Granger has advised us previously they are not licensed to sell polices in the state of FL.

I understand Granger is selling a Ford policy on behalf of Ford. But Granger is an independent business and FL says they need to be licensed.

I suspect FL implemented these laws to help protect consumers from fraud. I'm not aware of other states which have like laws which prevent someone from buying a policy through Granger.

The quickest way to tell if Members are impacted would be to test drive the Granger extended warranty site. If the state of interest is not listed, it's a safe bet Granger cannot sell in that state.

Last edited: