• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Explain the 1,000 mi oil change to me

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Every time i hear someone say they change their brand new car's oil because of metal particles from a brand new engine i think : " gee, i wish there was some type of device that would like, maybe FILTER the oil so those particles don't continue to circulate...

To each their own and it's a cheap way to feel better about how you treat your car.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
If you drive the car easy for the first 1,000 miles, the 1,000 mile oil change is a waste of time.

You are supposed to beat on the car when it's new so that the rings will seat, in doing so that causes a slight amount of metal to end up in the oil (not a visual or measurable amount).

The purpose of the 1,000 mile oil change is to remove that debris from the oil system to prevent a catastrophic failure down the road.
There are two schools of thought regarding break in. I've never, ever beat on a car during its 1st thousand miles and have never had an issue. But beating on a car, any car, can create issues you don't want. Either way there is no "need" to do a 1000 mile change but there is certainly no harm in doing so.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Every time i hear someone say they change their brand new car's oil because of metal particles from a brand new engine i think : " gee, i wish there was some type of device that would like, maybe FILTER the oil so those particles don't continue to circulate...

To each their own and it's a cheap way to feel better about how you treat your car.
That's funny. I tore down the filter on my 15' EB and 19' GT/CS after 5K miles and both were clean. Same with the oil. Didn't beat on my car either. Well, OK, I did get on the brakes to seat the pads but that's another topic.

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
I just changed the oil this afternoon at 1,122 miles and had to wait an extra 45 minutes while the parts runner at the local Ford dealership had to run over to NAPA for oil. Who the hell runs a service department that doesn't stock oil? I was told this dealership sells it so infrequently that they only keep a case on hand and didn't have enough for my scheduled appointment. If your dealer doesn't move a lot of Mustangs or other vehicles that call for synthetic, call ahead (not that you should have to, I mean it's oil).

I asked if they bought the correct Motorcraft oil and was told they just use Mobil1 as that's what's actually in the bottle anyway. No idea if that's true.

Should I have changed or waited? I'm not sure. It sat all winter with that oil and Ford recommends changing the oil both coming in and out of storage. I chose to just to the latter. I'll be doing annual oil changes with my mileage and I used the Ford Pass points so if this was a waste of money, it didn't actually cost me anything other than points. Just need to plug up those wheel well holes when my more mechanically-inclined friend has time and I'm good to start the season.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I asked if they bought the correct Motorcraft oil and was told they just use Mobil1 as that's what's actually in the bottle anyway. No idea if that's true.
It's not true and honestly I'd be suspect about your dealer based on this. Here is what your owners manual calls for.

And here is what the spec is.

https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us...oil/sae-5w-30-synthetic-blend-motor-oils.html

Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with Mobil 1. It is a full syn so I'd love to know how many points they took from you as full sun costs way more than the blend. Id also ask the exactly what weight oil did they use. That's kind of important.

Ps. Our Mustangs use the same oil as other Ford vehicles so once again, based on what you were told, I'd be looking for another dealer.

S650 Mustang Explain the 1,000 mi oil change to me Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 2.50.45 PM

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
In the "good old days" the manuals would have 2 categories for the maintenance schedule. "Normal" and "Severe". Normal was basically highway driving. Severe was stop and go driving, taxi, commercial, towing a trailer etc. Basically most everyone fit into the "Severe" category. And most people followed that schedule.

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
It's not true and honestly I'd be suspect about your dealer based on this. Here is what your owners manual calls for.

And here is what the spec is.

https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us...oil/sae-5w-30-synthetic-blend-motor-oils.html

Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with Mobil 1. It is a full syn so I'd love to know how many points they took from you as full sun costs way more than the blend. Id also ask the exactly what weight oil did they use. That's kind of important.

Ps. Our Mustangs use the same oil as other Ford vehicles so once again, based on what you were told, I'd be looking for another dealer.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 2.50.45 PM.png
I can't testify to what when in, but I was billed for 5W-30 Motorcraft XO-5W30-Q1FS. $133.24 - $20.02 for my inconvenience = $113.22 for an oil change is only mildly outrageous since it does take 10 quarts and I specifically requested full synthetic. After reading about how many bolts are necessary to get at just to do the job, and watching 2 techs with a flashlight trying to figure it out, they can keep the money and I'll keep my time.

After a poor sales and now service experience, I'll be travelling another 25 miles to the next dealership over.

I started the day with 42K Ford Pass points, now I have 19,356.

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
Thats lower than 69
I did my second oil change at 3426 sent it out to Blackstone see what they say. I'll post it for shits and giggles. For me an oil change 112.90 with Penzoil ultra platinum and a motorcraft filter. Pretty cheap for peace of mind. Had a 2001 Silverado with 5.3 changed it every 3000 miles ran like new with 260000 miles. In my mind an oil change is so cheap, why not?

Reactions: Zig

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
I can't testify to what when in, but I was billed for 5W-30 Motorcraft XO-5W30-Q1FS. $133.24 - $20.02 for my inconvenience = $113.22 for an oil change is only mildly outrageous since it does take 10 quarts and I specifically requested full synthetic. After reading about how many bolts are necessary to get at just to do the job, and watching 2 techs with a flashlight trying to figure it out, they can keep the money and I'll keep my time.

After a poor sales and now service experience, I'll be travelling another 25 miles to the next dealership over.

I started the day with 42K Ford Pass points, now I have 19,356.
Well, the dealerships are getting worse unfortunately. I work in the autobody industry, we are trying to find competent techs! The struggle is real. Can't imagine when they try to fix EVs. We wont even touch them not worth the hassle.

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Thanks for all the replies. I think after reading all this my plan will be to get the oil changed around 1,500, then split the difference to 10K by getting the second at 5,750 and third at 10,000. After that I'll just do every 5,000 miles.
Sounds logical to me. I picked up my GT a week ago yesterday and I'm still deciding what I'm going to do. Do you plan on using full synthetic? I think that's what I'm going to do unless someone tells me why I shouldn't:)

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See signature
It can't hurt to do it. I did a break in oil change at 1,000 miles in my Kona N (but that's a turbo engine that runs high boost). My '23 M4 required a service at 1,600 miles and it is provided by BMW without charge, consisting of an oil/filter change and a rear differential fluid flush. Overall, Mustangs can easily push the $60k mark, and if you do the oil change yourself it's really not that much money. When I order my GT I'll be doing it.

And remember, folks. The 10,000 mile oil change interval is made to get the car through the warranty period, not to 200,000 miles.

TripleshotMcC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium Convertible
I have done the 1000ish oil change after break-on on every new car I have purchased. I have an appointment with my mechanic to do that next week, will be at about 1500 miles by then. I will go full synthetic for sure. I am also having him check the alignment and zero the steering wheel, drives straight, but the wheel is clocked about 3 degrees to the right. I am very picky.

OP
OP
samson

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
Sounds logical to me. I picked up my GT a week ago yesterday and I'm still deciding what I'm going to do. Do you plan on using full synthetic? I think that's what I'm going to do unless someone tells me why I shouldn't:)
I'm debating this too. My initial thought is since I'm doing two oil changes in the first 6K miles maybe I just go with the standard synthetic blend. Then at 10K switch to full synthetic from then on. But I don't have any scientific basis for that so I dunno.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I'm debating this too. My initial thought is since I'm doing two oil changes in the first 6K miles maybe I just go with the standard synthetic blend. Then at 10K switch to full synthetic from then on. But I don't have any scientific basis for that so I dunno.
You are overthinking it (Don’t we all). If you want to go full syn (because you want to) just do it from the get go. No need to wait. It’s only a few extra dollars. 👍

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
You are overthinking it (Don’t we all). If you want to go full syn (because you want to) just do it from the get go. No need to wait. It’s only a few extra dollars. 👍
I went full synthetic at 1k and be doing it again in 2k (3k on the car), then same every 3k forever.
Sponsored